[HACK] Flash on Any Website in IE10 Metro Browser [WIN 8 & WIN RT]

Search This thread

segapash

Mar 24, 2009
in that case it's simple to set a script on a schedule to copy the file from that address to the correct folder.

I think we need to publicise this post a bit more so we can all start adding to the list:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33731429&postcount=18

I'd still like a more immediate way to add sites to my personal list without having to fill in a captcha and redownload, so I'll look into a more robust solution... one that can maybe download IE's list, that list, and combine it with the user's local list, with an easy way to immediately allow a site from within IE.

what a great list and idea! And you are right, this needs more publicising to surface users!

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
Firstly thanks a lot for this guide. It works perfectly with all the latest updates for Surface installed.
I'd like to ask you though if there is any way of playing swf files which are locally saved.
I tried loading the swf inside an html file but IE wouldn't load it.
I've added the file path (eg. C:\) into the whitelist but again didn't load.
Is there any other way of stating the path?
Any advice would be more than welcomed!

No idea sorry, wildcards are also not supported. Maybe you can click open with IE and then add the exact path it shows in IE? Without the filename

greatony

Jan 3, 2013
No idea sorry, wildcards are also not supported. Maybe you can click open with IE and then add the exact path it shows in IE? Without the filename
I've started another thread as I thought I was getting a bit off-topic in here.

I tried stating the path of the file the way you said, but with no success.
The only workaround that I found to be working till now is by opening the html file using Word 2013.

Anyway, thx for your help and waiting for any ideas you may come up with.

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010

Romcrazguy

Sep 30, 2011
Why when I reboot the whitelist XML files doesnt stick and I have to reenter everything manually ..is it suppose to do that?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Why when I reboot the whitelist XML files doesnt stick and I have to reenter everything manually ..is it suppose to do that?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Did you check off the option to automatically update the whitelist? Since it will update your whitelist otherwise on every reboot.

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa

sid8810

Aug 25, 2004
Certain football streams, that link to a player, like ilivid player etc, you can't watch them can you? I've added to the list still says flash player is old etc

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Certain football streams, that link to a player, like ilivid player etc, you can't watch them can you? I've added to the list still says flash player is old etc

We can not help you if you do not provide a detailed description of a specific case that is not working. Please provide the full url to the page if you want somebody to give you an answer. Your description is a bit vague, so I guess you won't really get a response.

In any case if the website uses flash it should work just fine. Make sure to add the source websites to the list.

ferknandoo

Dec 30, 2008
hello, about a month ago i tried this hack on my surface with Windows rt and it worked perfectly, since then ive been adding new web pages to the list and they work. today after adding a new one ( I followed the process perfectly) flash just stopped working. it wont work at all. it will not only show content of the web pages i added but not event those sites that were in the list by default. i have Little experience with computers and i would really apreciate if you could help me find a solution, i need this for my job, thank you!!!

sid8810

Aug 25, 2004
We can not help you if you do not provide a detailed description of a specific case that is not working. Please provide the full url to the page if you want somebody to give you an answer. Your description is a bit vague, so I guess you won't really get a response.

In any case if the website uses flash it should work just fine. Make sure to add the source websites to the list.

Its working now, i didn't add the domain names at first. I realized you have to add not just the site but the actual video players site too :)

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

hello, about a month ago i tried this hack on my surface with Windows rt and it worked perfectly, since then ive been adding new web pages to the list and they work. today after adding a new one ( I followed the process perfectly) flash just stopped working. it wont work at all. it will not only show content of the web pages i added but not event those sites that were in the list by default. i have Little experience with computers and i would really apreciate if you could help me find a solution, i need this for my job, thank you!!!

Same happened to me, i had to do a full factory reset, then it all started working again (after doing this hack again) ...and now its all good . Its just setting everything back up was the hassle.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Anyone notice when you play xbox music, and type on the onscreen keyboard it starts messing the music up... like a buffering short freezes. Is there a way to fix that?

RobbieRobski

Sep 21, 2011
market.android.com
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

It took me several tries. Finally it worked after I added it as the very first entry after <flash> rather than at the end.
And yes, deleted browsing history etc several times previously.

The only thing that does not work is a drag and drop operation.

The only reason I need this is I am working on a website for a client. The backend has a flash based file uploader. If I drag and drop a file into that box then it will just load the pic in ie. Fortunately, there is an upload button where I can browse do the file location.

But other than that minor inconvenience, this is absolutely fantastic. :D

scolad

Jun 27, 2010
Its working now, i didn't add the domain names at first. I realized you have to add not just the site but the actual video players site too :)

Hi i'm having troubles streaming nhl. Usually stream via cricfree.tv but i cant get them working, says i have an old version of flash installed...I figure I am missing something, have tried entering the site both manually and with help of scripts. How do i find the adress to the actual video players site? I Think it's there I have missed something...Would love the help, thnx in advance:)

Last edited:

RobbieRobski

Sep 21, 2011
market.android.com
Is there any way to do this without having to delete history?

I understand that the xml file is cached somewhere but it sucks having to loose all history and stuff when you want to add a new site.

Would be awesome if we could just find the cached xml list and delete that.

Last edited:

RobbieRobski

Sep 21, 2011
market.android.com
I guess we'll no longer need this with the Microsofts new policy towards flash which will now have flash enabled virtually everywhere except a blacklist.

Very cool to see they have heard our need and changed their policy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear all,

As we all know Windows RT/8's IE Metro browser has limited flash support based on a whitelist. However a lot of sites are not (yet) whitelisted and hence do not work as desired. So I did some digging in the whitelist mechanism and found a way to hack it.

Be sure to follow the following steps in respective order:

• Open Desktop IE10 type ALT --> Tools --> Compatibility View settings. Now UNCHECK the last checkmark which says: "Download updated compatibility list from Microsoft". If you have done this, you will be able to locally change the whitelist without getting overridden.
      WARNING: If this checkbox is checked IE will override your custom whitelist back to default on each rebout, so be sure to uncheck it..

• The whitelist is named "iecompatdata.xml" and is located in this path (copy + paste in File Explorer or IE10)
      Code:
      %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\
      (Alternatively open File Explorer and search in C:\ for "iecompatdata")

As suggested by danchar4, you can open and edit this file directly with Notepad by pressing WIN + R and type:
      Code:
      notepad "%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml"

All whitelisted flash enabled websites are located in this file inbetween the following tags:
      Code:
      <Flash>
              [...]
              <domain>zumiez.com</domain>
              <domain>zynga.com</domain>
      </Flash>
    • To add a website to the whitelist, all you do is add your desired website inside these tags as follows:
      Code:
      <domain>YOURDESIREDDOMAIN.COM</domain>
      Add as many websites as you desire...
    • Now we are almost done, one last task is to delete browsing histroy. Open IE10 Metro and click WIN+I (to open settings) --> Internet Options —> Delete browsing history

And you are all set and done. Flash is now enabled in IE10 Metro for the websites you have added to the whitelist!

Of course as with any hack, attempt only at your own risk. I am not responsible in case faulty behaviour occurs... That said, it should be fine :)

Kind regards,

Marvin
    Alternatively, we could create some kind of "community" maintained whitelist, where anybody can just add any website and we will then point IE10 to download a whitelist from this community maintained source (instead of from Microsoft).

Here you can add sites: http://minecraft.digiex.org/flash/
    And here is the list itself: http://minecraft.digiex.org/flash/iecompatviewlist.xml

Working with Nuduaa on a auto downloader script to autoupdate it every now and then on the surface.
    Glad I was able to help! I'm getting close to the next release of my EnableFlash scripts. They will automatically update the whitelist, while also allowing the use of IE Compat List updates.
    100% MS-blessed and documented way

For the XML file edit method please use this path - the environment variable makes it universal:
    Code:
    %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml
    to open the doc for editing cut and paste the following to the command-line or to the Winkey+R run box:
    Code:
    notepad "%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml"

If you are content testing one site at a time, there is a 100% documented way of doing this:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj193557.aspx

To test your Flash content in Internet Explorer 10, add the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Flash\DebugDomain
    where DebugDomain is a string value specifying the domain name as its data. (For example, movies.contoso.com). For example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Flash\DebugDomain = movies.contoso.com

Note on the DebugDomain string value:
    •Direct URLs to a page or resource are not supported (for example, contoso.com/xyz). Any value containing ‘/’ is not supported, including: http:// (or https://).
    •Do not use “www.” prefix, which is stripped (for example, www.movies.yahoo.com loads as http://movies.yahoo.com).
    •Only a single domain is supported.

If you find this helpful vote up and get this added to the first post.
    This seems to work as a wildcard for any website.
    Code:
    <domain>*</domain>

Where adding .com does not
    Code:
    <domain>*.com</domain>