[REQ] Can someone Kang us a Gummy?!

Search This thread

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
I deleted the framework and app folders from the cm9 zip, then just dragged the framework and app folders from the fascinate and copied the zip to my sd. so within the archive.

The keyboard thing is an ics bug requiring smali edits (or C & Java)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im almost done with my first source based rom, gummy. Ill test a bit today and possibly post a test rom here before I post it in android development.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA
    So to go back off topic and throw my two cents in.
    I think its more of them wanting people to learn to do it the proper way.
    Marcus, for example, did this with MIUI and has continued to do so for a while.
    He is rather young just yet, and has a TON of potential to get in and learn the real code.

Smali is machine code. Smali is rather hard to explain, read, and visualize.
    Kanging by winzip is damn easy file coping. But if you run into bugs, how do you fix it?
    Smali code editing? Copy DIFFERENT files over? That's quite impossible and is harder than it needs to be.

The CM9 Devs, I'm sure, do not give a rats ass what you do with their official .zips.
    What they do care about is learning and growing the community.
    I feel they gave you both, Marcus and xBox, a hard time because they want you to learn the correct tools and the proper process... Not for them, but for the community and yourselves.

You both get into learning C++, Java, etc... You both will make outstanding Devs. You'll help yourselves, the CM9 team, and the community.

That's my opinion. If its totally off base, oh well. I am not speaking for the team. This has not been discussed with me. I have merely been reading what's been available on the forums. Take it or leave it... They want you to learn :)
    Just wondering if this is still in the works.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Yeah. Once school is out I will have more time to work on it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Open source means open source. Everyone (even including the cm team) needs to realize this and get over it. The cm team, or any other dev are by no means required to do this work, as they don't get paid for it. People are not required to pay them for their work, but choose to through donations sometimes. The starters of cm don't whine about people kanging their rom to try to get it working on other devices. It's what we did at first before our cm team was even officially part of cm. No one seems to mind borrowing bits and pieces from other devices, or damn near everything from a source of one original dev who created this and shared it openly, with all, with absolutely no complaints or ****s to give. Just because they've put in so much work on it, they do not own it, and they never have. The only thing that matters is showing respect. Credit to our cm team for porting most/almost all of this, but not without help from many other sources, and the original and also huge contribution from those who started the cm project and have been so selfless and sharing with it.

The point of open source is to not care. To share everything we have freely so that "anything" that is possible can be done. If someone wants to change a framework and some apps, add in some scripts and kernel tweaks, or a custom kernel, call it a rom and release it, they are allowed. That is what every rom before now has been. Android with Samsung's code, with tweaks. No one before now has built an OS for our device completely from the ground up. Everyone acts more high and mighty than they are. The only difference here is that instead of it being the stock software, it's software someone else built, our device's team ported, and now tries to lay claim over.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    So to go back off topic and throw my two cents in.
    I think its more of them wanting people to learn to do it the proper way.
    Marcus, for example, did this with MIUI and has continued to do so for a while.
    He is rather young just yet, and has a TON of potential to get in and learn the real code.

Smali is machine code. Smali is rather hard to explain, read, and visualize.
    Kanging by winzip is damn easy file coping. But if you run into bugs, how do you fix it?
    Smali code editing? Copy DIFFERENT files over? That's quite impossible and is harder than it needs to be.

The CM9 Devs, I'm sure, do not give a rats ass what you do with their official .zips.
    What they do care about is learning and growing the community.
    I feel they gave you both, Marcus and xBox, a hard time because they want you to learn the correct tools and the proper process... Not for them, but for the community and yourselves.

You both get into learning C++, Java, etc... You both will make outstanding Devs. You'll help yourselves, the CM9 team, and the community.

That's my opinion. If its totally off base, oh well. I am not speaking for the team. This has not been discussed with me. I have merely been reading what's been available on the forums. Take it or leave it... They want you to learn :)

That is very true. Never really thought about it that way. Maybe I'll try to build gummy from source when I have time. Unless there's another ROM people would prefer. I don't have that much time with school and all, so let me know if that's the one you guys want and I'll try to see what I can do. Though speaking for my roms, there's not too much more I can do to try to build from source since sense and miui and blur are closed source.
    Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA