[Guide] S-OFF / Root.Your HTC One Max

Search This thread

Punk9

Nov 20, 2011
Kissimmee
While rooting / SOFFing my One Max, I had to look all around to find all the parts. I wanted to create a guide so other people could get it faster / easier than I could ;).

This is for the Sprint HTC One Max, not sure how other devices will react. rumrunner is for more than just the Sprint version though.

I TAKE NO CREDIT. IM JUST PUTTING A GUIDE TOGETHER. ALL CREDIT GOES TO PEOPLE WHOM MADE THIS HAPPEN.

Credit: (In no order) Please donate to them! They deserve it.
rumrunner: SOFF program.
scotty1223: Unlocking/removing tampered flag
Flyhalf205: Custom recoveries
carl1961: Unsecure kernel
HTC for an awesome phone :)

If I forgot anyone, let me know! Everyone that made this happen is awesome!

DISCLAIMER: IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR PHONE YELLS AT YOU AND RUNS AWAY BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG.

Step One: Unlock your bootloader at htcdev.com. Create an account and follow their instructions. When it asks you for your device put "all other support devices"

Step Two: Make sure your ADB/Fastboot prompts are working. Here's how we check that:

a. Make sure USB debugging is on.
b. Plug in your phone, then open your adb prompt.
c. Issue the command adb devices. If your serial number is shown, adb is working.
d. While still in the adb prompt, issue the command adb reboot bootloader. Your phone will reboot in to your bootloader
e. Now issue the command fastboot devices. If your serial number is shown, fastboot is working.
f. Reboot your device so it's on and fully boot up. It's time to get set up!

Step Three, Getting all the files needed on your craptop. (Computer, just kidding)

a. Download your choice of recovery from flyhalf205's thread (TWRP didn't play nice with my phone, so I used CWM, but your results my vary).

CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498749

TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498746

b.Then download this superuser.zip. :http://www.mediafire.com/download/v27kh5nkpo3nfum/superuser.zip Place it on your phone somewhere.

c. Then download rumrunner from beaups' thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2525375

d. Then download carl1961's unsecure kernel : http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrfelsllgomrpix/Sprint_One_Max_1.16.651.4_Unsecure_kernel.zip

Step Four: Lets do this thing!

a. First, we flash a custom recovery. Place the recovery you downloaded from flyhalf205 into the same directory as your adb/fastboot stuff.

b. Plug in your phone, issue the command adb devices just to make sure there is a connection. (can never be too careful now.)

c. If all is good and a serial number is shown, issue the command adb reboot bootloader.

d. You should see a string of words on your phone's bootloader saying "fastboot usb". Issue the command fastboot flash recovery "NAME OF RECOVERYFILEHERE".img. If all goes well. You now have a custom recovery, woop!

BOOT INTO THE RECOVERY AND MAKE A NAND. NOT OPTIONAL.
While in recovery, go ahead and flash the superuser.zip as you would do any other zip.

e. Now open the kernel and extract the boot.img file, place it in the adb/fastboot place.

f. Boot back into the bootloader, and make sure you're in fastboot. Issue the command fastboot flash boot boot.img. If all is well, the unsecure kernel is now on your phone! Now delete the boot.img from that directory (It'll mess with rumrunner).

g. Unzip the rumrunner contents into the adb/fastboot directory and run the soju.exe. Follow the prompt. If all goes well, you should now have an SOFF television in your hand ;).

HOW-TO Re-enable your fingerprint scanner!

You have to relock (after SOFFing it) the bootloader.

All credit goes to scotty1223.

a. Follow this OP to lock your bootloader. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004
b. Follow this OP to remove the tampered flag on your bootloader : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540024

I tested all of this on my own Sprint HTC One Max, and it has all worked with no side effects. After relocking and removing the tampered flag my fingerprint reader was 100% working again.

I'll help if I can. Have fun everyone!

Last edited:

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
If I can recommend rumrunner first **for Verizon versions** which soff, unlocks bootloader (vice htcdev) , installs unsecure kernel and roots. Htcdev unlock voids warranties for some carriers. Then install recovery of choice.
Lastly I would insert a line to remind everyone to donate to the devs for countless hours put in.

EDITED for versions

Last edited:

GaryJohnSr

Any issues with fingerprint scanner

Thanks PUNK9 for putting this guide together!! Thanks to the devs for their hard work!!

I've had my One Max for 2 weeks and I must root it!!!

I read that unlocking the One Max caused issues with the fingerprint scanner. Is this your experience?

Also, I am a fan of TWRP. What issues did you expereince that caused you to go to CWM.

Thanks,

Gary

Reactions: lulu217783

androitri

Aug 23, 2011
If I can recommend rumrunner first **for International and Verizon versions** which soff, unlocks bootloader (vice htcdev) , installs insecure kernel and roots. Htcdev unlock voids warranties for some carriers. Then install recovery of choice.
Lastly I would insert a line to remind everyone to donate to the devs for countless hours put in.

Do I need unlock the bootloader via HTCDev and flash insecure kernel after S-OFF in order to get root on VZW One Max ?

Punk9

Nov 20, 2011
Kissimmee
Thanks PUNK9 for putting this guide together!! Thanks to the devs for their hard work!!

I've had my One Max for 2 weeks and I must root it!!!

I read that unlocking the One Max caused issues with the fingerprint scanner. Is this your experience?

Also, I am a fan of TWRP. What issues did you expereince that caused you to go to CWM.

Thanks,

Gary

TWRP would go on the "swipe to unlock" screen I wasn't able to swipe it. So I used the classic version of CWM.

Also yes, unlocking the bootloader stops the fingerprint scanner from working. Here is how you get it back working (Which i'll update the OP for)

Follow this OP to lock your bootloader. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004
Follow this OP to remove the tampered flag on your bootloader : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540024

I tested all of this on my own Sprint HTC One Max, and it has all worked with no side effects. After relocking and removing the tampered flag my fingerprint reader was 100% working again.

Have fun!

Reactions: afraaa

logikzzz

Dec 1, 2013
No to htcdev. Rumrunner does all of that for the verizon version and I *believe* it does all that for all versions.
anyone use rumrunner and the boot image he attaches with a sprint phone?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

No to htcdev. Rumrunner does all of that for the verizon version and I *believe* it does all that for all versions.

"Your device must be HTCDEV unlocked or rooted unless using rumrunner with a device blocked by htcdev (e.g. m7wlv)"
from rumrunner prereq's.

What is considered a device blocked by htcdev?

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Having some work issues lately... as in I may not have work in the next week or two. Removing some of the things I have posted recently because I just was not thinking clearly. My apologies.

DVS_Sokar

Apr 26, 2009
Sacramento,CA
Having some work issues lately... as in I may not have work in the next week or two. Removing some of the things I have posted recently because I just was not thinking clearly. My apologies.

Did you unlock on Windows or Linux?

I have linux-64 bit ubuntu and I get a error when running ./soju

error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4

logikzzz

Dec 1, 2013
i haveflashed Then download carl1961's unsecure kernel, and i have supersu installed provided by above link. bootloader unlocked by HTCDEV. Same output, constantly.

I receive this for a rumrunner output, what am i doing wrong???

Never getting any popups to give ADB root access, no popups for any escalation.

Starting from usb debugging mode android OS up.

==================== rumrunner S-OFF 0.5.1 ==============================

rumrunner S-OFF comes with NO WARRANTY (express or implied)
and NO GUARANTEE OF FITNESS for any particular task.
We have made every effort we can to make this a safe process for users
however the authors disclaim any liability for damage to your phone
or other materials or devices used during this process.

The entire risk of running rumrunner S-OFF lies with you, the user.
By using this software you acknowledge and accept that the authors
are not liable for any loss, material or otherwise howsoever caused.

Do you understand the implications of this warning?
(Yes/No)
Yes

Dear User: We will expect that YOU:
(1) Know how to use ADB and FASTBOOT binaries
---- [Yes, use these tools to test USB connection BEFORE running rumrunner] ----

(2) Realize that rumrunner S-OFF cannot support every CUSTOM rom in this world
(3) Understand that irc support IS NOT A GENERAL HELPDESK
(4) Are able to identify and download the CORRECT package for YOUR device
(5) Know how to enable USB-debugging on YOUR device (Yes, do that now)
(6) Understand that you may NOT repack or redistribute rumrunner S-OFF

Ok?
(Yes/No)
Yes
!! Do NOT for any reason taunt, unplug, drop, eat or pet your device !!
Please wait....
Checking for updates......
Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
Waiting for fastboot (7/120)
Waiting
Test 2: Booting device
Waiting for ADB (38/120)
must ferment longer...

must sanitize, skunky rum is nasty
hold please.............................................................
[------------------------------------------------------------]
Rebooting into bootloader (again)
Waiting for ADB (32/120)
must ferment longer...

chilling..................
bottles are packed, here we go, shhhhhh....

Waiting for device
rom or root issue? unexpected behaviour detected - flash different rom and try a
gain.
ERROR: run rumrunner again.....
Press ENTER to exit

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

No to htcdev. Rumrunner does all of that for the verizon version EDITED OUT

Did you unlock on Windows or Linux?

I have linux-64 bit ubuntu and I get a error when running ./soju

error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4

From rumrunner instructions -

Prerequisites
32-bit Linux (Ubuntu is preferred)
Live CD’s are fine.
Live USB is fine.
Native install is fine.
VM’s are unsupported.
64-bit Linux may work with 32 bit libraries, but is unsupported.

Last edited:
Reactions: liljohn1776

ZENGURU

Nov 24, 2008
Finger print

TWRP would go on the "swipe to unlock" screen I wasn't able to swipe it. So I used the classic version of CWM.

Also yes, unlocking the bootloader stops the fingerprint scanner from working. Here is how you get it back working (Which i'll update the OP for)

Follow this OP to lock your bootloader. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004
Follow this OP to remove the tampered flag on your bootloader : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540024

Have fun!

Finally done and S-OFF. How do I go 'bout fingerprint again???

luv2ride

Nov 3, 2010
I was unable to use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader. I am with Verizon, perhaps thats the issue, not sure. The error I received
Error Code: 160.
Error Reason: MID Not Allowed
Tried using rumrunner and of course that failed due to the fact the bootloader is still locked and there is no unsecure kernel.

Am I missing something?

While rooting / SOFFing my One Max, I had to look all around to find all the parts. I wanted to create a guide so other people could get it faster / easier than I could ;).

This is for the Sprint HTC One Max, not sure how other devices will react. rumrunner is for more than just the Sprint version though.

I TAKE NO CREDIT. IM JUST PUTTING A GUIDE TOGETHER. ALL CREDIT GOES TO PEOPLE WHOM MADE THIS HAPPEN.

DISCLAIMER: IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR PHONE YELLS AT YOU AND RUNS AWAY BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG.

Step One: Unlock your bootloader at htcdev.com. Create an account and follow their instructions. When it asks you for your device put "all other support devices"

Step Two: Make sure your ADB/Fastboot prompts are working. Here's how we check that:

c. Issue the command adb devices. If your serial number is shown, adb is working.
d. While still in the adb prompt, issue the command adb reboot bootloader. Your phone will reboot in to your bootloader
e. Now issue the command fastboot devices. If your serial number is shown, fastboot is working.

Step Three, Getting all the files needed on your craptop. (Computer, just kidding)

a. Download your choice of recovery from flyhalf205's thread (TWRP didn't play nice with my phone, so I used CWM, but your results my vary).

b.Then download this superuser.zip. :http://www.mediafire.com/download/v27kh5nkpo3nfum/superuser.zip Place it on your phone somewhere.

c. Then download rumrunner from beaups' thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2525375

d. Then download carl1961's unsecure kernel : http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrfelsllgomrpix/Sprint_One_Max_1.16.651.4_Unsecure_kernel.zip

a. First, we flash a custom recovery. Place the recovery you downloaded from flyhalf205 into the same directory as your adb/fastboot stuff.

b. Plug in your phone, issue the command adb devices just to make sure there is a connection. (can never be too careful now.)

c. If all is good and a serial number is shown, issue the command adb reboot bootloader.

d. You should see a string of words on your phone's bootloader saying "fastboot usb". Issue the command fastboot flash recovery "NAME OF RECOVERYFILEHERE".img. If all goes well. You now have a custom recovery, woop!

While in recovery, go ahead and flash the superuser.zip as you would do any other zip.

e. Now open the kernel and extract the boot.img file, place it in the adb/fastboot place.

f. Boot back into the bootloader, and make sure you're in fastboot. Issue the command fastboot flash boot boot.img. If all is well, the unsecure kernel is now on your phone! Now delete the boot.img from that directory (It'll mess with rumrunner).

g. Unzip the rumrunner contents into the adb/fastboot directory and run the soju.exe. Follow the prompt. If all goes well, you should now have an SOFF television in your hand ;).

a. Follow this OP to lock your bootloader. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004
b. Follow this OP to remove the tampered flag on your bootloader : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540024

logikzzz

Dec 1, 2013
If this helps anyone out there. I think unplugging device from USB while rumrunner states it is "Waiting for adb" is probably a good idea. Then plug it back in once the device is fully booted and off the security screen.

This was found on a post somewhere on these forums. Guess its worth a try, i will let everyone know the results!

Last edited:

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Everyone having issues with rumrunner should make sure they have plugged in their phone into their computer with AND without adb debugging enabled AND in fastboot to make sure all drivers are set up properly before rumrunner.

Having said that beaups himself said the device driver error is normal.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I was unable to use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader. I am with Verizon, perhaps thats the issue, not sure. The error I received
Tried using rumrunner and of course that failed due to the fact the bootloader is still locked and there is no unsecure kernel.

Am I missing something?

Read second post of this thread

Reactions: afraaa and logikzzz

logikzzz

Dec 1, 2013
Everyone having issues with rumrunner should make sure they have plugged in their phone into their computer with AND without adb debugging enabled AND in fastboot to make sure all drivers are set up properly before rumrunner.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I will try that!!!! thanks for the response!!!!

luv2ride

Nov 3, 2010
I went back and did some research. Found the correct version of RumRunner & completed the process. I was using the "universal" version.

luv2ride

Nov 3, 2010
Finished flashing the unsecure kernel and locked the bootloader. Now I'm unable to turn on wifi, I slide the tab and it grays out without turning on. Anyone have an idea on this one?

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Finished flashing the unsecure kernel and locked the bootloader. Now I'm unable to turn on wifi, I slide the tab and it grays out without turning on. Anyone have an idea on this one?
As my second post says rumrunner does EVERYHTING for verizon versions. You have now flashed something non verizon to your phone (kernel) so likely it will have prpblems . You are lucky you are not screwed permanently. However you may have to wait until a dev creates a flashable verizon unsecure kernel. Im not sure what direction to tell you to go...

logikzzz

Dec 1, 2013
same issue

(Yes/No)
Yes

---- [Yes, use these tools to test USB connection BEFORE running rumrunner] ----

Ok?
(Yes/No)
Yes
Please wait....
Waiting
Waiting for ADB (47/120)
must ferment longer...

Waiting for ADB (59/120)
must ferment longer...

Waiting for device
rom or root issue? unexpected behaviour detected - flash different rom and try a
gain.
Press ENTER to exit

when out of developer mode it is not detected by OS which is strange, HTC Sync picks it up when i reinstalled it attempting to get drivers to make it be detected. What is this issue about? simply PC drivers?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

just tried from linux - same exact error.

any ideas?

Waiting for ADB (59/120)
must ferment longer...

Waiting for device
gain.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

same issue

(Yes/No)
Yes

Ok?
(Yes/No)
Yes
Please wait....
Waiting
Waiting for ADB (47/120)
must ferment longer...

Waiting for ADB (59/120)
must ferment longer...

Waiting for device
gain.
Press ENTER to exit

when out of developer mode it is not detected by OS which is strange, HTC Sync picks it up when i reinstalled it attempting to get drivers to make it be detected. What is this issue about? simply PC drivers?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

just tried from linux - same exact error.

any ideas?

Waiting for ADB (59/120)
must ferment longer...

Waiting for device
gain.

omg, ive been running wrong one. should be using universal... lol this will work now i bet

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

s-off wow i feel dumb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I would like to say, that I have noticed that some get a lot of help in these threads, and a lot "say" thanks, but on one clicks the "Thanks" Button. It would be definitely appreciated when pressed. ;)
    If I can recommend rumrunner first **for Verizon versions** which soff, unlocks bootloader (vice htcdev) , installs unsecure kernel and roots. Htcdev unlock voids warranties for some carriers. Then install recovery of choice.

EDITED for versions
    It took you 3 days to see my message and reply. What, you arent online all the time responding to everyone right when they contact you?

Then dont expect that of others...

Please, stop arguing. Several of us are stuck with the 2.47 hboot, we're waiting for beaups to tell us if he's working on the latest hboot for S-OFF. That's all. So, calm down everyone ?

Am I missing something?