[Q] Unable to boot Stock based ROMS [D800]

Search This thread

vish9

Mar 5, 2013
Hey everyone, sorry if this question has been answered already. I have sifted through pages and pages in this forum and haven't found a solution for my D800.

My G2 is rooted, with TWRP installed. I was successful in flashing Paranoid Android v4 beta 4, and 5. The problem arises when I try to flash LG Stock based ROMS. After TWRP says flashing was successful and I try to reboot, the screen shows LG logo for a second and turns blank!! That's it just a clear black screen, and the ROM doesn't boot at all.

The ROMs I tried and failed to boot:

1. Aeon
2. Korean stock based rom
3. Scott's CleanROM
4. Rayglobe 3.2
5. Rayglobe Flex ROM v4

Now, I know that sometime ROMs take time to boot on the first run, so I even tried leaving it at the blank screen for 15-20 mins with no result. Since it has been the same result for multiple ROMs, it definitely isn't a bad install or a bad ROM download either. I hope not :p

Is there anything I am missing in the steps? All ROMs were installed after factory resetting through TWRP (no dirty flash). I am baffled with this, please let me know if I need to revert to software version "d" for these ROMs to work?

TIA

joebob296

Aug 30, 2010
Hey everyone, sorry if this question has been answered already. I have sifted through pages and pages in this forum and haven't found a solution for my D800.

My G2 is rooted, with TWRP installed. I was successful in flashing Paranoid Android v4 beta 4, and 5. The problem arises when I try to flash LG Stock based ROMS. After TWRP says flashing was successful and I try to reboot, the screen shows LG logo for a second and turns blank!! That's it just a clear black screen, and the ROM doesn't boot at all.

The ROMs I tried and failed to boot:

1. Aeon
2. Korean stock based rom
3. Scott's CleanROM
4. Rayglobe 3.2
5. Rayglobe Flex ROM v4

Now, I know that sometime ROMs take time to boot on the first run, so I even tried leaving it at the blank screen for 15-20 mins with no result. Since it has been the same result for multiple ROMs, it definitely isn't a bad install or a bad ROM download either. I hope not :p

Is there anything I am missing in the steps? All ROMs were installed after factory resetting through TWRP (no dirty flash). I am baffled with this, please let me know if I need to revert to software version "d" for these ROMs to work?

TIA

Did you factory reset after as well? If I recall correctly Paranoid Android is AOSP. What kernel are you running?

rquiett

Jan 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
sounds like you are onn the 10o update. You will need to flash back to stock 10d with lg flash tool and then root and install recovery again. Then you should be good to go on flashing roms. I know that some of the newest versions of TWRP and Philz have issues flashing some roms too so that may also be the cause. If you downgrade the recovery you have to the version right before it may fix your issue also

vish9

Mar 5, 2013
Did you factory reset after as well? If I recall correctly Paranoid Android is AOSP. What kernel are you running?

Exactly, AOSP ROMs are booting up fine but not the Stock based ones.. I am not flashing any kernels, just the ROM, so I'm assuming it will run on either the stock kernel or the kernel included in the ROM zip?
Have you been successful in installing such ROMs? Am I missing something in the wiping part? Only been doing the factory reset in TWRP before installing any ROM.

joebob296

Aug 30, 2010
Check m
And make sure that you are running the stock kernel. Are you on the 10o update?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

vish9

Mar 5, 2013
sounds like you are onn the 10o update. You will need to flash back to stock 10d with lg flash tool and then root and install recovery again. Then you should be good to go on flashing roms. I know that some of the newest versions of TWRP and Philz have issues flashing some roms too so that may also be the cause. If you downgrade the recovery you have to the version right before it may fix your issue also

Oh, I hadn't thought about anything being wrong with the recovery.. Always assumed it gets the work done :eek:
How do I find previous versions of TWRP compatible with D800?

vish9

Mar 5, 2013
Check m
And make sure that you are running the stock kernel. Are you on the 10o update?

Yes I am on 10o.. Does it have issues with installing other Stock ROMs? If yes, I'll try to follow the thread on using LGFlash tools, I've never done that before. Hopefully its not much difficult to follow the instructions.

joebob296

Aug 30, 2010
That is one of the easiest guides to follow. Be sure to follow the correct set of instructions(depends on carrier) and download the the 10d version.

Last edited:

vish9

Mar 5, 2013
Be sure to follow the correct set of instructions(depends on carrier) and download the the 10d version.

I'm stuck in the process! Can't change the com port number to 41. The guide is pretty easy to understand. But when I put my phone is download mode and try to change the com port number, it says I don't have the write privileges for this device's setting. I've tried it on both Win 7 and Win 8 laptops, with LG mobility drivers installed.
Is there something in the phone settings I need to enable so that I get the write privileges to change com port number?

vish9

Mar 5, 2013
SOLVED!

Do you have administrator privileges?

Yay!!! Finally did it!

Issue 1: If faced with write privileges for com port (tried successfully in Win 8)
Solution: After going in to com port properties, click "change settings" and there is the option to change com port number.

Issue 2: Once the port number was changed to 41, rest of the instructions are easy to follow on this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633150

Once on D80010d, I rooted with ioroot22, and installed recovery using FreeGee. Just installed Rayglobe 3.2 minutes ago, and it finally booted up!!! :D
So, the bottomline is that go back to D80010d if you wanna play with Stock based ROMs! I flashed with TWRP 2.6.3.3, so the fault is not with the recovery. That much I can confirm :)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Thread solved I guess.

vish9

Mar 5, 2013

Thanks for the input. Before I flashed back to D80010d today, I installed older versions of Philz and TWRP but neither helped. So downgrading was sort of a compulsion, in my case at least.

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
and the moral of the story is, unless you are getting an android version upgrade in the update, do not take the update.