Newbie rooter from Canada Bell 527

Search This thread

proplayer44

Aug 8, 2008
Corunna
Just bought a Samsung Mega and would like to root.

I did searches and came up against road blocks.

I've installed KingoRoot on my PC and it won't connect. I assume because I cannot get into debugger mode. I believe the option to uncheck the box is greyed out.

I then found this.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2434204&page=3

But I'm stumped at

"4.Select the AP button and browse to where you placed recovery.tar.md5"

What is recovery.tar.md5. I don't want to recover, restore reimage, load a new OS, just root. I have no idea the terms and phrases with all this stuff.

Can you help me out?.

I also installed KIES but don't know what to do with it. I know I used Kies to root my Note 2.

Thanks Guys.

proplayer44

Aug 8, 2008
Corunna
I think I'm in developer mode now. I clicked on the build option 7 times and it said it was in developer mode but Kingoroot still won't connect.

proplayer44

Aug 8, 2008
Corunna
Can anyone point me to where I find the recovery.tar.md5 file in order to root my Canadian i527 Mega?

As per these instructions

1.Go to Download Mode By Pressing (Volume Down +Home +Power) And Connect Your Phone To PC.
2.Launch Odin v3.09.
3.Make Sure That In Odin the Auto Reboot And F.Reset Time Checkboxes Are Selected, Uncheck The Re-Partition And Other Option.
4.Select the AP button and browse to where you placed recovery.tar.md5
5.Hit Start and Wait.
6.Your phone should reboot. Afterwards, move on to the rooting phase.

proplayer44

Aug 8, 2008
Corunna
You can get CWM or TWRP recovery from this link here https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8uuvfvauztdna/MEGA_6.3 and go into recoveries folder and choose the tar file to flash with odin. :)

Sent from my SGH-I527M using xda app-developers app

Can you give a step by step?

This is what I did

I have the drivers on my PC
Put the super file on my phone
Installed the recovery file using odin. I've tried a few differnt ones . Right now I have the 6.0.4 one on. Said it passed.
Before allowing it to boot I got into the recovery and choose to install from the phone. Installed the Super file. But it said

set_perm: some changes failed
Error in /data/media/o/root/UPDATE_SuperSU-v1.34.zip

install aborted. (Status 7)

Any idea what that means.

starmaster10

Feb 7, 2012
Saskatoon

This is what I did

Installed the recovery file using odin. I've tried a few differnt ones . Right now I have the 6.0.4 one on. Said it passed.
Before allowing it to boot I got into the recovery and choose to install from the phone. Installed the Super file. But it said

Sounds right what you did, but try this UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip and see if it will work as the 1.34 version i had problems with also, oh and @proplayer44 your mega should be a i527m model not the i527 as that is the AT&T version in the USA :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: proplayer44

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is what I did

Sounds right what you did, but try this UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip and see if it will work as the 1.34 version i had problems with also, oh and @proplayer44 your mega should be a i527m model not the i527 as that is the AT&T version in the USA :good: