Evo rugged case

Search This thread

evoforevo

Feb 21, 2012
What's the best rugged case for my evo out there as far as all year round construction work.

a senile fungus

May 25, 2010
I got the seidio extended rugged case. It is a beast. So solid

I wasn't the biggest fan of the outbox defender.

I think there are other cases too, like Cyclops and trident. I also remember something about kraken.

I just bought a couple cases to figure out which one was best for me.

~ I'm a fungi

Last edited:

Cowboyup65

Feb 11, 2012
I work construction/warehouse now, and I have the otterbox. It has been ripped off my belt, so I called, told them needed new belt case, they replaced it with three, so big plus for them. Also have dropped the phone about 16ft on to concrete floor with otterbox, no problem, picked it up hit power button and screen came on (was in sleep) so I hooray for them standing behind their product. Downside is it is big, but fits in tool pouch nicely on my top pocket, and it protects the camera with small plastic screen.

a senile fungus

May 25, 2010
Otterbox has great customer service. It is seriously amazing. That's one more reason to love them

~ I'm a fungi

Teach0

Jan 20, 2012
los angeles
Yup had otterbox since day one. I know someone that bought a cheap silicone cover; she dropped her evo and screen is now shattered. Thumbs up for otterbox.

tltb26

Jan 13, 2012
Guam
Trident Kraken

I have the Trident Kraken. Rugged (yes, it's bulky), built-in screen protector, great fitment (2 layers= hard shell inner & silicone outer), makes use of the phone's built-in kickstand (rather than building one into the case itself), ports are covered, appropriate & mostly non-interfering cut-outs (camera, flash, speaker, mic...I've noticed a slight difference in speaker phone usage), cost is in line with other cases of this type.

IMO, an excellent case.

alxrock

Aug 17, 2010
Tampa
I have the Seidio rugged, and it's a great case. 3 layers (slim case, silicone cover and then plastic shell) and the silicone layer has covers for the ports and a cover for the camera lense. (I use my camera a lot so I cut the camera lense cover off) and the holster has a lock to hold it in place well.
I switched from construction to tech work, so now it sits in a drawer, but it was great when I needed it.

Bossog

Feb 22, 2011
Detroit
I have the Trident Kraken. Rugged (yes, it's bulky), built-in screen protector, great fitment (2 layers= hard shell inner & silicone outer), makes use of the phone's built-in kickstand (rather than building one into the case itself), ports are covered, appropriate & mostly non-interfering cut-outs (camera, flash, speaker, mic...I've noticed a slight difference in speaker phone usage), cost is in line with other cases of this type.

IMO, an excellent case.

I had this same case. Worked wonderfully to protect. My pictures had a blue hue added to them until i popped out the little camera lens protector screen.

rickadee04

Mar 12, 2011
LaPorte, In
Otterbox

Have to agree with the rest Otterbox is the best and they stand behind them with no problems you call them tell them whats wrong and they send you a new one.

lacrossev

Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
I have a 2nd gen ballistic HC for my evo, and i've dropped that thing more times than i care to remember, concrete, tile, dirt, snow, pretty much everywhere except solid ice,and it has held up very well. It has the hard plastic with soft bumpers, as well as the add-on silicone layer that the seidio rugged,which i also own. The size of the thing is enormous though, and i have smacked my friend in the head once while tossing him the phone from a few feet away, he said it hit him pretty hard :D

Flowsick

Jan 20, 2011
Flint, MI
I also have the Trident Kraken. Its an amazing case and also comes on just about every color

Sent from my EVO 4G using XDA

SammyM00782

May 20, 2010
I have a 2nd gen ballistic HC for my evo, and i've dropped that thing more times than i care to remember, concrete, tile, dirt, snow, pretty much everywhere except solid ice,and it has held up very well. It has the hard plastic with soft bumpers, as well as the add-on silicone layer that the seidio rugged,which i also own. The size of the thing is enormous though, and i have smacked my friend in the head once while tossing him the phone from a few feet away, he said it hit him pretty hard :D

I have the ballistic as well. I dropped it from 23ft off a ladder, picked it up and continued my text message :) I've dropped this poor thing so many times and have purposely thrown in across the room just to show people the case and she's held up without me ever needing a replacement. Built in screen protector that I had to cut out cuz it was so beat up but it also came with a nicely cut single sheet protector as well. The rubber outer casing is nice too if you can handle the extra bulk and/or need the extra traction for your hands.

antwan*

Aug 15, 2010
Everyone is always talking about the otterbox, guess it wins the popularity vote.
However, I've seen quite a few people complain or have issues with them, like the clip failing them or whatnot.

Personally I would the Ballistic HC case. I bought one for 20 USD on clearance @ mobile city. I think it's out of stock but if you do a google shop search, some vendors will have some. The MSRP is 40 USD I believe, but it's well worth it.

The only problem I have with it is the screen cover gets scratched up a bit (not the Evo screen, just the cover screen), try buying one of those plastic stick ons and it'll be fine. The other 2 minor issues are that it can get a bit dirty so try cleaning about once a week; the other issue is that the cover can be a pain to take off, I pull mine from the bottom opening onto the sides until it's off. Other than that, it's excellent and offers maximum protection like no other.

EDIT: I just saw posters above me recommended Ballistic. :)
On a side note though, I'd like to add that the case in black gives it this awesome military look. If you theme your phone just right with cool widgets, etc, it looks even more amazing. You just can't go wrong with this case. +the clip never lets go of the phone while at work.

Last edited:

DCWS6

Sep 17, 2011
I used the Otterbox Defender series case for over a year, great case. I wanted an extended battery but never pulled the trigger because you couldn't use in a rugged case. For the last six months I've been using the Trident Electra series that comes with an extended 2800ma battery. The case is very rugged and protects the phone. It does have a screen protector built in but you can remove with a hairdryer. The extended battery adds bulk but is still thinner than the otterbox. The battery life is awesome.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

One_Shot_2012

Feb 29, 2012
look behind you....boo!!!
I used the Otterbox Defender series case for over a year, great case. I wanted an extended battery but never pulled the trigger because you couldn't use in a rugged case. For the last six months I've been using the Trident Electra series that comes with an extended 2800ma battery. The case is very rugged and protects the phone. It does have a screen protector built in but you can remove with a hairdryer. The extended battery adds bulk but is still thinner than the otterbox. The battery life is awesome.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

Ever thought of using a slim extended battery? Same size as stock, and you van still rock the defender case!:thumbup:

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
The Ballistic HC or Kraken seemed to work the best for the Evo.. Kraken case also has a holster too.

Top Liked Posts