[Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device Updated for Android 4.3!!!

Search This thread

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Re: [Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device

You should update the OP for android 4.2.2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: chris.wueste

boroboy69r

Aug 7, 2011
Middlesbrough
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Tried this to return to stock but adb saying cant alocate space for system please help even tried fastboot flash the .img files all work but system can flash custom roms jst can get back to stock

Sent from the renovated faux powered 1

ryomakun

Sep 15, 2011
really thank you for this way...right now my nexus already Androi 4.3 , hope we can get root soon haha

shbaldw

Aug 13, 2013
Wished I could have found this earlier, sideload broken, recovery can't connect to adb, and had to figure this out. Thanks.

Sent from my rooted carbon Nexus 7 with xda app

karandevilocs

Dec 6, 2010
i booted to bootloader and execute fastboot and flashed bootloader BUT it doesn't flash it ! it just gave me an error!

PLZ help me HOW CAN I GET BACK TO STOCK 4.3 ! i'm on PRE ROOTED 4.3 + Franco kernel! is that because i'm on custom kernel?!

i want to get it back to warranty HELP!

EShow

Mar 2, 2011
Seattle
If I do this to return to stock, will I also lose root?

If so, how can I return to stock without losing root?

SahilTech

Nov 19, 2012
Jabalpur
sahiltech.wap.sh
Help Needed

Hey guys, I have a Nexus 7 WiFi only 16 gb model.
There is a problem with it. I first rooted it with the help of Nexus root tool kit and all was fine. Then I tried Cyanogen Mod's latest release but it was lagging and so I accidently restored my old backup but it didn't restore. Since then nothing is being able to mount.
E:Unable to mount '/system'
E:Unable to mount '/cache'

I tried to factory reset via command prompt but it fails to write cache.
Present condition is- The device loads the bootloader and then it gets to custom recovery.
I tried to flash stock rom via fast boot and it flashed boot.img and recovery.img but when I tried to flash system.img the following error is shown-
(check the screen shot)
358q51v.jpg

Please help
:crying:

VideoSavant

Nov 30, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I have a Nexus 7 2012 model with which I'm having "looping" issues. Note that these are not "boot loops," or at least not in the sense that I understand the term. My N7 tablet boots up normally, but after it begins loading apps and updating notifications, it will momentarily freeze and then reboot. These freezes vary somewhat, but almost always within 90 second to 5 minutes of loading up. Booting into Safe Mode will sometimes give me virtually unlimited uptime, but on other occasions it will freeze/reboot within a minute or two.

I rooted shortly after I bought the tablet but never loaded any ROMs. When I was running stock 4.2.x, my USB port broke, and then later the update to 4.3 zapped my root and TWRP recovery (and without a USB port, I wasn't able to restore root). I recently replaced the USB port (and I've verified it works for both charging and data). However, I'm stuck and need some help.

I initially tried to fix my looping issue with the Nexus Root Toolkit. My initial goal was to just restore root and TWRP and go from there. No matter which of the methods I choose via the Toolkit, I am stuck on 4.3 with the looping behavior continuing. I have also tried to fix this through the ADB method detailed here -- this is more difficult, as I have to race against freeze/reboot countdown, which varies from maybe 90 seconds to as much as 5 minutes. But in both cases, I'm able to complete the Toolkit steps or work through all the ADB commands, but I'm still stuck where I started.

On a couple of attempts, I was able to successfully go through the Unlock, Root + Custom Recovery steps of the toolkit, and twice I have been in TWRP. The second time I was in TWRP, I tried to do a Factory Reset and also a Full Wipe, but when I rebooted the tablet, I was still in my old version of 4.3, with all my apps and the freezing/booting issue. This seems to be a recurring theme with both the Toolkit and ADB methods -- although I'm getting real-time feedback that partitions are being deleted and recreated and that the system is being loaded etc., it doesn't appear that any files or configuration is changed.

It's like every day is Ground Hog day.

I know that you guys can't help me with the Toolkit specifics related to my problem, but at this point I'm just looking for general guidance. Obviously something is seriously hosed (or I'm the worst follower of instructions ever), as nothing seems to be able to change the freeze/looping situation I'm trapped in.

Any ideas?

mattsolberg

Dec 8, 2010
Calgary
I have a Nexus 7 2012 model with which I'm having "looping" issues. Note that these are not "boot loops," or at least not in the sense that I understand the term. My N7 tablet boots up normally, but after it begins loading apps and updating notifications, it will momentarily freeze and then reboot. These freezes vary somewhat, but almost always within 90 second to 5 minutes of loading up. Booting into Safe Mode will sometimes give me virtually unlimited uptime, but on other occasions it will freeze/reboot within a minute or two.

I rooted shortly after I bought the tablet but never loaded any ROMs. When I was running stock 4.2.x, my USB port broke, and then later the update to 4.3 zapped my root and TWRP recovery (and without a USB port, I wasn't able to restore root). I recently replaced the USB port (and I've verified it works for both charging and data). However, I'm stuck and need some help.

I initially tried to fix my looping issue with the Nexus Root Toolkit. My initial goal was to just restore root and TWRP and go from there. No matter which of the methods I choose via the Toolkit, I am stuck on 4.3 with the looping behavior continuing. I have also tried to fix this through the ADB method detailed here -- this is more difficult, as I have to race against freeze/reboot countdown, which varies from maybe 90 seconds to as much as 5 minutes. But in both cases, I'm able to complete the Toolkit steps or work through all the ADB commands, but I'm still stuck where I started.

On a couple of attempts, I was able to successfully go through the Unlock, Root + Custom Recovery steps of the toolkit, and twice I have been in TWRP. The second time I was in TWRP, I tried to do a Factory Reset and also a Full Wipe, but when I rebooted the tablet, I was still in my old version of 4.3, with all my apps and the freezing/booting issue. This seems to be a recurring theme with both the Toolkit and ADB methods -- although I'm getting real-time feedback that partitions are being deleted and recreated and that the system is being loaded etc., it doesn't appear that any files or configuration is changed.

It's like every day is Ground Hog day.

I know that you guys can't help me with the Toolkit specifics related to my problem, but at this point I'm just looking for general guidance. Obviously something is seriously hosed (or I'm the worst follower of instructions ever), as nothing seems to be able to change the freeze/looping situation I'm trapped in.

Any ideas?

I am having this exact same issue. Have you, or anyone else, been able to resolve it? I've tried fastboot, I've tried wiping partitions in recovery, I've tried a factory reset in recovery, and none of them actually delete the data or flash new data. Just continuous reboots about 10 seconds after the launcher loads.

Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VideoSavant

Nov 30, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am having this exact same issue. Have you, or anyone else, been able to resolve it? I've tried fastboot, I've tried wiping partitions in recovery, I've tried a factory reset in recovery, and none of them actually delete the data or flash new data. Just continuous reboots about 10 seconds after the launcher loads.

Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't had any luck getting any solutions, though a few guys have pointed me to other threads that I'd already seen and followed. I am now thinking that this is a hardware problem, as the key obstacle to a fix appears to be the inability to overwrite or change current system files.and partitions.

I'm still hoping for a fix, but I don't think I'm going to send my tablet in for repairs. I already sunk $65 in it to have the USB fixed, and even if I knew what the specific hardware problem was now, I wouldn't pay even another $50 to fix it. I also own a Nexus 7 2013, and was only looking for the 2012 to be a fallback.

But I'm not ruling out a miraculous software fix, courtesy of one of the many experts here at xdadevelopers...

Likewise, let me know if find a solution to your problem (and possibly mine). Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 at https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jwr66v-factory-d341d356.tgz

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

5) Next type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.3 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

Additionally, here is an instructional video courtesy of XDA user SladeNoctis.

Also, thank you to XDA user Shano56 for the formatting help on this post.
    Nice guide man, I changed the format a little to make it easier to read. Use it if you want, won't be offended if you don't.

First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img

5) Next type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

If you want to use it and are too lazy to quote my post :p - http://pastie.org/pastes/4279753/text

The commands look good to me however I've never used "fastboot -w update" so can't say for that

1) Make sure you have your ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

2) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

3) Unzip the factory image into the same directory as your Adb and Fastboot drivers.

4) Plug in your device. With the device on the home screen, type "ADB reboot bootloader" or if your device is off, press and hold both volume keys and press the power button. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch.

5) This should reboot you into the bootloader. Now type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img"

6) Next type "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

7) Now type "fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip"

8) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type "fastboot oem lock"

9) I don't remember if the tablet automatically reboots at this point but if it doesn't just type "fastboot reboot"

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes.

You should change the title to [Guide] How to return to Stock / Unbrick your Nexus 7

Helps out those getting bootloops or softbricks from geting root access in certain ways or messing with the build.prop
    We are now at Android 4.3. Already booted into it. It works. OP has been updated!!!!!!
    I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

Went back through my terminal session and the exact commands went like this.

./adb reboot bootloader
    ./fastboot flash recovery ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
    ./fastboot reboot

thats it.

If you still see an image...you shouldn't be bricked. U should try turning your tablet off for 20-30 mins, then holding all 3 buttons at once. Try it plugged in and not plugged in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2