[Q] Change the Galaxy Tab for a Galaxy Note?

Search This thread

carolinamogas

Feb 6, 2014
Hi! I'm new at this forum and recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 tablet and I'm not really sure what to think of it yet. I was looking for a tablet I could use exceptionally for college purposes: to write essays, to take notes, to browse the web and essentially manage my college life (and of course watching a couple of movies from time to time ). I found the Galaxy Note 10.1 on the internet and fell in love with it, but the Galaxy Tab 3 was on sale on a local store and I read some good reviews about it so I bought it. I found out that it lags so much it becomes irritating and reboots at least once per day. I eventually installed Nova Launcher and the lag almost disapparead but it still happens when I'm browsing the web from time to time, and the reboots still continue , so I may return it or ask for another one. I read a couple threads saying you could root the Tab and use it for note taking too, but I'm not sure about rooting it now, since I will lose my warranty and I need it now because I'm in my first year in college. The display resolution really doesn't bother me that much, of course a better resolution screen wouldn't hurt a thing, but what I really want is something portable and productive so I don't have to carry around my laptop which is very heavy...

Should I buy the Galaxy Note or stay with the Tab?

nunosm

Mar 4, 2008
Hi.

I make the same brainstorm in every new gadget i want to buy.

Better performance vs more expensive.

The key is value for money. Your valuation vs you money.

If the Tab doesnt meet your expectations, its has low value for you and turns out to be more expensive in the end comparing to the investment on a Note (2012 is cheap now).

Got a 10.1 and for note taking in meeting, net surfing emails etc its the BEST.

Take my following advice with salt and pepper:

I think you have already made the decision for swap it for a note and need some moral support

So here it is: Go for it :)

Regards

Nuno

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

enigma_x

Jan 1, 2013
Note 10.1 2012 is not worth to buy, imho. If you really want Note, buy newer one. Samsung hasnt upgraded this device and I have already problems with that. You cannot share SNote files. Apps for smart-devices are nowadays often developed for Android 4.2/4.3 because those give much more opportunities to develope functions in apps. So if you are thinking to keep that device for somentime and buy smart-accessories, you will have problems. But if you are looking a cheap tablet with a pen, notngoing to share SNotes or not going to buy smart-accessories, then you might want to get this tablet. Otherwise, stay away from it!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

tanker32

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8000) is the CHOICE!

Don't listen people that you say 2014 is better and blabla...:cowboy:
I should have possibility to compare Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8000) and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (GT-P6050).
Even the 2014 has better HW, GT-N8000 has more followers and even official Samsung doesn't update GT-N8000 firmware from 4.1.2 to higher one, firmware on 2014 is Android 4.3 (by my oppinion worst Android ever!).:crying: But never mind. When I compare this two devices 2014 had lags, problems with Wi-Fi and even with S-Pen.
Antutu benchmark (after customization ROMS in both devices) show mi score Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8000) = 20976 and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (P6050) = 31500. Really big difference. :good: But even 2014 is most high-perfomace tablet on the market, I felt GT-N8000 more efective than 2014. Strange, isn't it? But it's only my oppinion. :D

PRO's 2012 (GT-N8000)
-Big users support
-A lot of tuned apps
-User friendly
-Great work with S-Pen
-Price = $249

CON's
-Old firmware (but after customizitation you can have even KitKat 4.4.2)
-IPS resolution only 1280x800
-Less memory (16GB) but i Saw 32 GB version too!

PRO's
-One of big perfomance tablet ever!
-Great display resolution 2560*1600
-to future best tablet ever

CON's
-Unwanted apps, a lot of bloatware (but you can unistall it as you want)
-still new device, untuned apps
-A lot od lags
-New S-Pen do what should't be :p
-Price = $499

carolinamogas

Feb 6, 2014
Thank you so much for all your replies! After reading a lot of reviews I decided to buy the galaxy note 10.1. (2012 version) and so far i'm very happy with it! I hadn't browsed a lot about the android version problem so i didn't know that it was so far late in the android version but in my case i don't find it a very big issue and i'm very happy with it, there is no lag at all (even when running a ton of apps). The only problem that i encountered was changing the wallpaper so it fits perfectly on the screen, because everytime i tried to change it im forced to crop the picture and turns the oicture to a crappy resolution... I was a little afraid since I hated the tab but so far so good. Of course I hope they update it in the future. I've been searching the web about roms and roots but I understood nothing... can someone enlight me or direct me to a topic where it is explained? My note is the gt-n8010. All I need is a shiny new cover for my note and i'm a very happy costumer! And maybe in a few years i will buy the next version :p

Joey22688

May 25, 2012
NYC
Thank you so much for all your replies! After reading a lot of reviews I decided to buy the galaxy note 10.1. (2012 version) and so far i'm very happy with it! I hadn't browsed a lot about the android version problem so i didn't know that it was so far late in the android version but in my case i don't find it a very big issue and i'm very happy with it, there is no lag at all (even when running a ton of apps). The only problem that i encountered was changing the wallpaper so it fits perfectly on the screen, because everytime i tried to change it im forced to crop the picture and turns the oicture to a crappy resolution... I was a little afraid since I hated the tab but so far so good. Of course I hope they update it in the future. I've been searching the web about roms and roots but I understood nothing... can someone enlight me or direct me to a topic where it is explained? My note is the gt-n8010. All I need is a shiny new cover for my note and i'm a very happy costumer! And maybe in a few years i will buy the next version :p

to root
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957002
(you might want to update the firmware first before doing this)