[How-To] Moto G wireless charging (Universal Qi Receiver)

Search This thread

SalvH

Jun 18, 2014
Anyone tried all this with the new 4G model? I assume it will work the same, right?

Dec 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Got my charging pad and the film and assembled them via the micro USB port. However, my Moto G doesn't charge when the film is put inside the back cover. It works fine when I remove the charging film and put it directly on the charger.

I'm unable to make out which one is faulty. I initially thought the charging film is faulty, but it does exactly the same with my wife's Galaxy S4. Any advise folks ??

JCBomb

Apr 2, 2013
Got my charging pad and the film and assembled them via the micro USB port. However, my Moto G doesn't charge when the film is put inside the back cover. It works fine when I remove the charging film and put it directly on the charger.

I'm unable to make out which one is faulty. I initially thought the charging film is faulty, but it does exactly the same with my wife's Galaxy S4. Any advise folks ??

You might be kinking the ribbon too much, or you bought the wrong plug type.

The pad has an "out face" it doesn't work on both sides.

reneftw

May 1, 2011
Hello.
How much current does the phone get with these receivers (especially the ones with an output of 1A)?

hawoMoto

Sep 2, 2014
Just tried this with a moto g 4g and it works fine - subject to pinlock provisos yadda yadda.
Thanks to original poster: made an awesome cheap phone errr... awesomer ?
Ta:good:

briatide

Feb 16, 2014
For those asking how slowly it charges, I get 511mA for ~25% per hour charging time. The phone gets somewhat warm, around 95F on average. The peak temperature I've seen has been 105F.

alerton

Dec 20, 2011
home made qi charger case

Hi guys, i have been a supporter of the whole qi idea ever since i got a lumia windows phone a while ago that had qi factory fitted. Unfortunately I hated windows phone operating system lol.

I decided to go back to android and after a 3 week nightmare with a Sony m2 that i eventually returned to the retailer after having had a row with Sony support and having 2 replacement handsets which both had different faults :mad: I ended up going for the moto g 4g.

I have to admit that my phone can suffer from abuse / hard life due to my job and being in / out of my pocket in dusty places so I always like to have a decent flip case to try protect the phone. The problem had was that when I put the micro usb receiver inside the back (stuck to the battery) my charger didn’t detect it, i assume it was just too far away being inside the back and then shrouded by the flip case too. After a bit of disappointment and a few beers I decided to experiment and took a good sharp knife to the flip case, carefully cutting a receiver sized chunk out of the inside of case. it took a bit of time and care but I managed not to cut all the way through the case and just create a space for the receiver and thankfully i found it now works a treat :D. I don’t often use the usb socket and never take the phone out of its flip case so this solution suits me very nicely and on the rare occasions i do need to use the usb its easy enough to get the qi usb plug out anyway. maybe this idea could help others who come across the same issue.

Ps kudos to Shadow_2k for discovering and pointing out that wireless charging only works with a lock screen, i didn’t know at first and thought I had got a doggy qu receiver :rolleyes:

Konstigt

Dec 4, 2010
Hmm, my charging speed is very low. According to Ampere, it's just around 100mA. And it takes really long time so that can be correct.

I have this sticker on my Moto G: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6771793710.html?orderId=68084661942680

And this wireless charger: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M741/

I just now tested with another wireless charger, LG WCP-300. It seems to work a little faster, according to Ampere a little faster. But, strangest thing, the battery jumped from 86% to 100% in just 10 minutes.

Problem with my sticker?

m3g4tr0n

Apr 25, 2011
so what happens if the phone is charging from the A/C charger and you place it on the wireless charge base?

himu_joy

Sep 11, 2011
BD
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi 4X
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've received my universal Qi wireless receiver today. The receiver is smaller than I had thought and fits perfectly into the Moto G. Since our phone lacks internal preparation for Qi (like it can be found on the Samsung Note 2), the connection is made via a micro USB plug. The backdoor can still be clipped on without being disturbed by the Qi receiver pad or its flat band cable. Charging time should be about the about the same as charging the phone from a PC USB port that doesn't output more than 500mA.
    This solution is obviously for those who don't need the phones usb port on a daily basis.

The adapter on the left picture (and in the video) is from ebay and is the one that arrived here first. I’ve changed the cable routing to remove the ugly bulge that was visible on my first picture. This adapter outputs a maximum of 500mA and can be purchased from ebay.

Make sure to purchase the "interface layout A, narrow interface up” variant.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261348107126

17.Jan.2014 - The picture on the right shows an adapter purchased from DealExtreme, that arrived here yesterday. This adapter delivers up to 650mA and the flat band cable comes out of the lower side instead out of the backside which removes the need to bent over the cable.
    http://dx.com/p/zy-408-wireless-charging-receiver-for-mobile-phone-micro-usb-black-259151

Both adapters work well, so don't worry if you've already bought the one I've first reviewed. (I have both version in use on different phones)

Here is a small video that shows me placing the receiver inside the Moto G:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2WPjw-WaCI

Update 13.02.2014
    From my testing I can tell the following:
    1. An unrooted Moto G needs to be screen locked (I use the pattern lock type) or it will refuse to charge due to the missing pins. You can unlock the screen while it is charging as long as you don't lift it from the qi charger. (tested on 4.3 and 4.4.2, DE and FR firmware)

2. Root in combination with dubidu's tool makes it more straightforward but is not required.
    Hey guys, just finished this mod, soon I will post the tutorial:

youtu.be/UxTYZ6qFJU0

:D

Enviado do meu XT1032 através de Tapatalk
    I just bought it off amazon (hooray rewards card, it was free).

Theres a few on ebay if you just look up "Universal QI Wireless Charging Receiver film"

Thanks. I had looked on fleaBay and it looks like they all have the same packaging. I imagine any qi wireless charger thingy should work. In theory.
    anyone know if this would work through an otterbox case? or I guess if this would even work with one due to the fact the part that plugs in sticks out a little bit...
    Thanks, I'll buy it so, and I will report back once it arrives. The only other thing bothering me is the phone overheating while sitting on the pad over night.

Sent from my XT1032

It does get warm, but nothing to worry about. For me there is not much difference in temperature between the QI pad and a normal USB charger