Gapless playback in Zune??

Search This thread

adamwebb28

Feb 7, 2009
Hi all

Had an HD7 for the last week, great phone. I've found a couple of little bugs (eg if your browsing in IE and go back to the home tab, use some other apps then go back to IE, theres no way of going back in the browser as the back button just takes you back to the home page or previous app?)

Anyway, onto my question, does the Zune player on the phone support gapless playback of tracks? I've got a lot of albums of live concerts etc that would normally playback seemlessly on my old iPhone but have gaps when played on the Zune. Couldnt find any options anywhere to change it. Does anyone know if this is supported or not?

Thanks!

LJKelley

Feb 11, 2008
www.startblue.net
I know gapless is supported on the ZuneHD. But I know even then some people had issues in getting it to work, and it is all based on how your albums are tagged in the ID3. Once I get my HD7 I can confirm if albums that played fine gapless on the ZuneHD do so on the HD7 and i'll inspect the ID3 to figure out what the appropriate tags are.

adamwebb28

Feb 7, 2009
Thanks! All my music is imported into Zune from iTunes so maybe iTunes hasn't tagged the music properly? Or Zune can't read the itunes tags?

lip

Jan 14, 2007
Gapless works on Zune HD as long as there is no DRM...thus, if you bring your own tracks with no DRM, gapless works perfectly...however, if you have a zune pass, funny enough, gapless does not work...

This is a known issue for many months but MS has no fixed it so far...(people seemed more upset at the lack of apps for the Zune HD than fixing core music related issues)...

adamwebb28

Feb 7, 2009
Thanks. I seem to get this from my own ripped CD's as well as music bought from iTunes and music from my Zune subscription.

I might try re-ripping one of my CD's in Zune and see if it works.

Gapless playback seems to be a massive missing feature of an audio device?!

DaveyBoy72

Nov 10, 2010
Londres
A big one for me is this. I've got 200 or so live/dj mix albums, so not having this feature has pretty much made my new HD7 worthless to me.

All my music is in .M4A format and was ripped/converted in iTunes. I also tried ripping a mix CD to .MP3 format, but got the same result.

I just don't understand why MS haven't implemented it. If there are no plans to add this, then my HD7 will have to be returned.

hammered09

Jul 18, 2008
I know this is an old thread, but I've noticed something when using bluetooth and my music...
I use my HD2 (WinMo7) when I'm down the gym and a lot of my mix tracks often jump at the mix point, some even have some stuttering...
However I've noticed that when I'm streaming via bluetooth to my car stereo, the same tracks don't jump or stutter and play virtually continous. There is only the odd tiny space on some tracks...

wp7dev007

Mar 5, 2011
Daytona Beach, Fl
Beatles USB gapless

My Beatles, Abbey Road Remastered 2nd side sounds great on Zune on WP7. Very slight breaks between songs, but nothing objectionable to me.

Make sure that when you select the music, you select the Play All or Play Album selection. Don't try to play the 1st track and expect things to go uninterrupted.

Definitely the Abbey Road playback is different than the first side, which has song-to-song gaps.

Enjoy Windows Phone 7!

-e

BRi7X

I've been digging around recently in trying to get some gapless in WP7.

I then finally notice that the Zune PC software doesn't even do gapless! The gap is shorter, I suspect due to the more powerful hardware, but it's still not gapless.

Windows Media Player seems to emit a slight click

Winamp and Foobar both seamlessly transition to the next song.

But, back to WP7. It's now apparent that either MS needs to fix this (they didn't in Mango, so they probably won't for a while, if at all), or a third party app that doesn't use Zune could be created, (or ported).