Will a Hard Reset Unroot the Sidekick 4G?

Search This thread

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
Now that I've got my apps chosen, I'm thinking about restoring factory settings and doing a clean install.

The phone is successfully rooted. If I hard reset, will the phone remain rooted?

As an aside: Settings/Privacy/Factory data reset vs. the power/volume down/clear storage deal? Are they both equally effective when working with the stock ROM?

Thanks,
Jake

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
A hard reset will remove root. It won't re-lock the phone if you've unlocked it though.

Thanks, I hadn't known that. Owners of other types of Android phones had said the root remained.

I wonder why some other users here have posted about the difficulties of unrooting.

Jake

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Yes to confirm with Jax, it does NOT retain root. You must use SuperOneClick again.

sent from my SGH-T839 (Sidekick 4G) running Glorious Overdose V3.0.3.

Reactions: jakfish

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks again. A follow-up: I think my phone is one update behind. I'm running T839UVKD1, and my googling tells me there's an update that came out 12/12.

If I use kies to flash that, I understand that I'll lose root, but will I lose my unlock?

Also, is the update worth it? Despite the complaining over at the TMobile Sidekick 4G forum, I have few complaints about the phone or the stock ROM. I've frozen Google Maps, Group Twitter, and other resource-hungry apps that I'll never use, and everything is generally fine.

Much obliged,
Jake

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
Once a phone is unlocked, it can't be re-locked. But as we've said, it can be de-rooted. The root occures at the OS level, while the lock is much more low-level.

The update is worthwhile. If you wish to stick to stock firmware, you'll want to use the very latest.

Reactions: jakfish

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks, this is very helpful information. I'd love to find an update that allowed for the mapping of a CTRL key. Tried remapping the SEARCH key with CTRL WAKE_DROPPED, but no go.

On the other hand, changing SMILEY to TAB WAKE_DROPPED will give a functioning tab key. Makes the TextMaker beta a lot easier, though TM demands a CTRL for keyboard shortcuts.

Jake

lipico

Jan 1, 2011
My sidekick is unlocked, if I update to the new original firmware, will it stay unlocked, and able to use my carrier?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A hard reset will remove root. It won't re-lock the phone if you've unlocked it though.
    Yes to confirm with Jax, it does NOT retain root. You must use SuperOneClick again.

sent from my SGH-T839 (Sidekick 4G) running Glorious Overdose V3.0.3.
    Once a phone is unlocked, it can't be re-locked. But as we've said, it can be de-rooted. The root occures at the OS level, while the lock is much more low-level.

The update is worthwhile. If you wish to stick to stock firmware, you'll want to use the very latest.