Hyperion 3500mAh Extended Battery and Cover

Search This thread

Ted A

Aug 8, 2009
I got the Hyperion Samsung Droid Charge i510 3500mAh Extended Battery from Amazon 5 days ago and have been training the battery; draining it to shutdown before charging it again.

I did initialize the battery statistics once it's fully charged the first time. It takes about 3 hours to charge the battery from 99% empty (it shuts down at 1%). It really is a hassle to do one cycle of charging and discharging with this battery. lol. I ended up streaming War and Peace movie off Netflix running on wifi or 4G to discharge whatever juice is left on the battery. So far, the battery capacity seems to continue increasing after each battery training cycle.

I'm happy with it. On the last cycle, I got 25 hours and 15 minutes. YMMV.

The Hyperion Extended Battery Silicone Case is in the mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsanta11

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have two different extended batteries & I ordered that POS Hyperion case.

The case is very chintzy & doesn't fit either battery setup correctly.

On one battery it is too small & with the other it is loose & sloppy.

~John

Ted A

Aug 8, 2009
I finally got the Hyperion silicone case in the mail.

Chinzy is not the word to describe it. More like primitive, it's made out of the same material the army made the chemical warfare gas masks with, back in the 50's. lol. Anyway, I've never seen a warfare gas mask. But it sure looks so primitive. With the cases these days moving towards TPU material, this Hyperion case is so "5 years ago".

First, the minuses:
  • The cutout edges in the front and on the camera opening, as you can see on the pictures, are not tight, which is to be expected of a case with this material. Not flapping, but it's not as firm as the edges on a TPU case.
  • The button profiles are practically indecipherable to touch. You can't feel your way to find the buttons unless you've already been accustomed to their locations.
  • It's a dirt and dust magnet. I'm sure if you take it to the beach, it'll bring back a pocketful of sand home with you, too. Pocket lints love to stick all over it. I've read it somewhere that this silicone material, as a result of its 'magnetic personality', will eventually create scratches on the covered surface of your phone, even on the metal edges, if you let the dirt build up inside.
  • Take your pocket knife and start carving the micro usb cutout for it is simply not big enough to serve its purpose. I've tried many different micro usb cables and none of them will fit through the cutout.

The pluses:
  • It's made for Hyperion's extended battery cover, so it fits snugly onto the back of the phone, onto the Hyperion-brand extended battery cover and to all four sides and four corners. Because of the curves and bulges specific to an extended battery cover, I seriously doubt if this case will fit as well on other brands' extended battery covers.
  • It effectively hides the cheap-looking plastic battery cover, as long as you don't mind carrying something that has the appearance of a rubbery-looking bar of soap in your pocket.
  • It definitely gives the positive, sure-grip feel when you're holding your phone, unlike when you're grasping the bare and slippery, cheap-looking plastic extended battery cover that bears the same brand name.

All things considered, I really have no choice but to keep it. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• 2011-10-20_23-02-34_789.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-02-34_789.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 632
  • 2011-10-20_23-03-17_577.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-03-17_577.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 532
  • 2011-10-20_23-05-12_601.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-05-12_601.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 501
  • 2011-10-20_23-06-28_250.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-06-28_250.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 580
  • 2011-10-20_23-07-14_794.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-07-14_794.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 2011-10-20_23-07-53_995.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-07-53_995.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 481
  • 2011-10-20_23-08-23_460.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-08-23_460.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 490
  • 2011-10-20_23-08-33_179.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-08-33_179.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 2011-10-20_23-08-42_906.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-08-42_906.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 447
  • 2011-10-20_23-09-18_983.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-09-18_983.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 2011-10-20_23-14-19_867.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-14-19_867.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 482
  • 2011-10-20_23-15-17_364.jpg
    2011-10-20_23-15-17_364.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

wampuscat

Dec 21, 2008
Mobile,AL
Anybody got a link to the battery and case. How much are they? Shipping expensive

Edit....found it. Ordered the battery and the case last night

Last edited:

Ted A

Aug 8, 2009
Update:

the silicone case has stretched considerably where it becomes too sloppy. Tossed it about about a month ago. Since then, the thin plastic cover that came with the extended battery had been exposed and has gotten more cosmetic scratches. The plastic cover later developed a tiny crack on one of the top corner that continued to grow longer until it cracked completely clear to the camera window.

Bought the OEM extended battery cover to replace the unusable Hyperion extended battery cover. The quality of the OEM extended battery cover is outstanding, it's made out of a much more rigid material, it's thicker and the surface finish superb and much more durable compared to the Hyperion's, and it's more resistant to scratches. I'm very happy with it. From comparing the OEM 2600mAH extended battery, the Hyperion battery is about 2-3mm thinner. So too be safe, i placed a few layers of folded paper between battery and my new cover.

The Hyperion extended battery:

It continues to perform well.

ambrar12

Jan 8, 2012
Update:

the silicone case has stretched considerably where it becomes too sloppy. Tossed it about about a month ago. Since then, the thin plastic cover that came with the extended battery had been exposed and has gotten more cosmetic scratches. The plastic cover later developed a tiny crack on one of the top corner that continued to grow longer until it cracked completely clear to the camera window.

Bought the OEM extended battery cover to replace the unusable Hyperion extended battery cover. The quality of the OEM extended battery cover is outstanding, it's made out of a much more rigid material, it's thicker and the surface finish superb and much more durable compared to the Hyperion's, and it's more resistant to scratches. I'm very happy with it. From comparing the OEM 2600mAH extended battery, the Hyperion battery is about 2-3mm thinner. So too be safe, i placed a few layers of folded paper between battery and my new cover.

How long does it last? What kind of usage do you do?

hiddenpeanuts

Aug 13, 2010
I've been pretty happy with this battery too. I spend a lot of my day in a location with little or zero signal, and I still get 18-20 hours out of the battery with moderate levels of use.

I do agree that the default Hyperion case isn't the greatest. I bought the OEM extended battery case too and it's much better.

As a side note, Hyperion's customer service is amazing. My battery case arrived cracked in half, but with no questions asked they sent a replacement for not only the case - the battery too!

MetaOrbit

Feb 21, 2012
Update:

Where, by chance, did you buy the OEM extended battery cover? I've not yet been able to find a reputable [appearing] site that has it in stock.

Mar 5, 2011
I just got an extended battery for my charge, its the trexcell extended battery the other one that amazon sells and I just wanted to say its working great. I'm still conditioning the battery but its very promising, my phone has been up for 12 hr. Now and it down to 40%... already much more battery life than stock battery

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

Jugger naut

Nov 11, 2011
Metropolis
It grows on you

I've had the ext batt and cover (Hyperion) for few months and I loved the batt right off the bat but the cover took me a bit.
Ted A makes some excellent points nice write up
Here are a few more

+ I've got big hands (I can palm a medicine ball lol) and the extended bump along with the grabby case make handling the phone much easier. Stock its like trying to hold a wet watermelon seed.
When setting on a smooth surface and using the screen (playing a game mostly) it doesnt fly across the table and onto the floor, the smoother the surface the grippier it is.
I left the phone on my lap and jumped out of my truck. :eek: It did a half gainer onto the asphalt with absolutely no damage. Thank you Hyperion.

- It doesnt fit in any car or desk cradles that I've tried :mad: Guess thats par for the course.
As Ted said the physical buttons are covered and the small indents are undetectable at least by my sausage fingers. It also negates the back lighting on the buttons.
The grip turns it into a tug of war sometimes when it comes time to get it out of your pocket, especially when sitting down. The neighbors might think your playing a violent game of pocket pool and tell the kids "get inside now"

All in all I wouldnt give up either, I forgot the cover at home one day and realized how good of a job it does. I handled the phone very carefully the extra weight and my track record for smashing small expensive and delicate things made me uneasy. Once you get used to it you wont want to go without.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2011
Got the oem extended cover in today [ https://www.techiewarehouse.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SSA-EBC-994EBZB-J022 ] and I must say its much much better than the after market cover that comes with the extended battery. Every place I looked were sold out, the site there is the only place I could find... after Googling for ever, its in stock as of the time of this post

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332452642088.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332452642088.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Jugger naut

Nov 11, 2011
Metropolis
Holey Schmidt!

I can never leave anything alone/stock, sometimes it works sometimes I have to throw it away before anybody sees how bad I screwed up a perfectly good ________ you fill in the blank.

Keeping up with tradition I got tired of not being able to tell what button was what when I had my case on my phone. So I broke out my trusty paper hole puncher and carefully punched out holes were the symbols were on my phone case....see pic. Works grrrrreat! I can tell which button is which even with my mechanics gloves on. Plus you can now see the buttons when they light up. If anyone is daring enough to try this make sure you clip the holes on the high side (best if the top of the hole is touching the line at the top of the button. The buttons centers are a little higher than the markings on the case.

Phonecase.jpg

bigjonmoo73

Oct 24, 2010
Denton
I also have a 3500mAh extended battery and the life on it is awful. I do have med-heavy usage on it, but there is no way it should only last 6 hours or so... Any suggestions or is it probably some crap battery?

Mar 5, 2011
I also have a 3500mAh extended battery and the life on it is awful. I do have med-heavy usage on it, but there is no way it should only last 6 hours or so... Any suggestions or is it probably some crap battery?

Return it, get another, the one I have with low usage lasted over 24 hours ... with normal use it will last me the whole day 13+ hr.

bigjonmoo73

Oct 24, 2010
Denton
Which battery do you use? I want one that will work legitimately. I can't stand only having 6 hours on a 3500mAh battery or any batter for that matter! Thanks!

Mar 5, 2011
Which battery do you use? I want one that will work legitimately. I can't stand only having 6 hours on a 3500mAh battery or any batter for that matter! Thanks!

I have the trexcell 3500mah brand off Amazon, its works great as long as you condition the battery as the instructions say. My phone says it has 30.52hr when the battery its fully charged. That if you don't touch the phone at all, but it will last me 12 -15hr with normal use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got the Hyperion Samsung Droid Charge i510 3500mAh Extended Battery from Amazon 5 days ago and have been training the battery; draining it to shutdown before charging it again.

I did initialize the battery statistics once it's fully charged the first time. It takes about 3 hours to charge the battery from 99% empty (it shuts down at 1%). It really is a hassle to do one cycle of charging and discharging with this battery. lol. I ended up streaming War and Peace movie off Netflix running on wifi or 4G to discharge whatever juice is left on the battery. So far, the battery capacity seems to continue increasing after each battery training cycle.

I'm happy with it. On the last cycle, I got 25 hours and 15 minutes. YMMV.

The Hyperion Extended Battery Silicone Case is in the mail.
    Where, by chance, did you buy the OEM extended battery cover? I've not yet been able to find a reputable [appearing] site that has it in stock.

Buy it from Verizon, it's cheaper than everywhere else ($10) and in stock.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=47552