Random data usage

Search This thread

Roostlick

Jul 14, 2008
Hi guys,

Not sure what's happening on my Vodafone Magic...

Rooted it so i could install the HTC (htc_ime) keyboard. All that went fine all working ok. However since i've noticed my phone seems to be randomly using 5mbs of data every few hours. Can see this in netcounter. At one time i actually caught it happening, checked taskiller and closed everything that was running, yet the data still carried on transferring!!!

I've done a wipe to factory and set up again, just checked the phone before it was on 9mb, closed everything in taskiller, left for maybe an hour or two just looked and it now says 14mb.

Any ideas???

bobster4

Aug 7, 2009
Could be the update problem I had. The phone downloads an update but fails to install (because the phone is rooted otacerts.zip does not match). If you catch it again you should be able to see the download progress in settings software update or the file being created in /cache. As soon as the download completes the update fails quietly and the cycle begins again. I'm looking for a stock ROM but for now I have copied /system/build.props from the ADB JFv1.51 ROM and is seems to have prevented the download from starting.

mitac112

Jun 30, 2009
Crawley
Hi guys,

Not sure what's happening on my Vodafone Magic...

Rooted it so i could install the HTC (htc_ime) keyboard. All that went fine all working ok. However since i've noticed my phone seems to be randomly using 5mbs of data every few hours. Can see this in netcounter. At one time i actually caught it happening, checked taskiller and closed everything that was running, yet the data still carried on transferring!!!

I've done a wipe to factory and set up again, just checked the phone before it was on 9mb, closed everything in taskiller, left for maybe an hour or two just looked and it now says 14mb.

Any ideas???

Turn off Data synchronization and see how it is. Maybe this is sync traffic

Roostlick

Jul 14, 2008
Downloaded JFV1.51 CRB43 ADP (10791) from the jesus freke blog.

adb pushed build.prop to system folder on phone, will leave it a few hours now and see if the data count randomly goes up or not, cheers!

Surely everyone should get this problem when they root? As i haven't put on a custom ROM or installed jesusfrekes stuff, just rooted it to install a keyboard!

Roostlick

Jul 14, 2008
Still doing it, went from 33mb to 37mb.

Could of done the build.prop wrong i guess, do you mind detailing the complete full procedure just in case?

Many thanks!

st0kes

Mar 9, 2005
ukstokes.com
I had a very similar problem with my Magic although I don't know if it was downloading 5Mb chunks each time. It was on the stock firmware from Vodafone UK, can't remember if I had rooted at the time ... my Magic was rooted using these instructions: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

Just interested to see if you did the same? At one point I had noticed 200Mb of data downloaded within one week ... Voda only allows 500Mb per month in their 'fair use' policy.

I didn't ever fix this but wiped and flashed a different ROM, I've been OK since then. Unfortunately Netcounter does not tell you which apps have been doing the downloading!

I didn't have many apps installed but you know how it is, virtually every app in the market requires internet access for something or another.

Roostlick

Jul 14, 2008
Hmmm that sounds very similar to me st0kes.

Left Voda stock rom on, just rooted it to be able to install the htc keyboard and yep i used those instructions you linked to.

Think i will follow your lead and flash to a different ROM this afternoon, thanks for your reply!

rrfx

Aug 10, 2009
How did you go flashing a different ROM Roostlick? Which ROM did you try (URL?).

I rooted my Australian Vodafone Magic the day i got it using the same instructions st0kes mentioned. I didn't replace the 'su' program since i didnt need it and seemed like an unnecessary security risk.

Data usage was fine (normal) for the first 2 weeks. Then it started downloading 4.5mb chunks every 2 hours.

Got close to my 1gig cap, so i turned off all data synchronisation. I have just received my bill today to find the cap was blown.... and that these 4.5mb downloads have continued.

Obviously looking to fix it, since i'm already 400mb through this months cap!!

edit: looked at Settings>About phone>System updates> and i can see "Android Update 1.5" waiting to be installed... no surprises its 4.2mb. I hit "download' on the update and it fails silently after downloading, giving a download prompt again.

Found some more info on the OTA updates in JF's blog here.

I'm currently testing the chmod solution:
./adb shell
chmod 000 /cache/download*

bobster4

Aug 7, 2009
Roostlick,

You have done everything I did to solve the probelm except after I modified build props I did a factory reset and I have not hit the download button in settings->about phone->system updates since I did the factory reset. I still see the download available but it does not download any more.

Do you have the following info in settings->about phone (shows the build.props has been updated properly)?

Model No. = Android Dev Phone 1
Build = dream_dephone_.......

My phone is rooted as done here: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...=Magic_Rooting

B.

rrfx

Aug 10, 2009
Hi guys, thanks for the information. I've fixed my phone now... for anyone else with this problem, and unwilling to use a 3rd party ROM... the path I followed from my post above.

JF's chmod 000 *.zip idea didnt work, my Vodafone Magic AU just kept downloading over the top. However using the SDK and logcat gave plenty of info

Code:
./adb logcat
I/SystemUpdateHelper(   63): Started a new update download: http://android.clients.google.com/updates/signed-vfpioneer-CRC1-from-CRB17.7fbab120.zip                                          
D/InetAddress(  155): android.clients.google.com: 66.249.89.101 (family 2, proto 6)                                                                                                          
D/InetAddress(  155): android.clients.google.com: 66.249.89.100 (family 2, proto 6)                                                                                                          
D/InetAddress(  155): android.clients.google.com: 66.249.89.102 (family 2, proto 6)
E/SystemUpdateVerifierTask(   63): Verification for /cache/signed-vfpioneer-CRC1-from-CRB17.7fbab120.zip failed: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip            
W/SystemUpdateHelper(   63): Download system update disappeared.                                                                                                                             
W/SystemUpdateHelper(   63): Download system update disappeared.

Specifically touching the exact filename in /cache and chmod'ing it 000 didn't work. Suspect the android downloader runs as root and seems to clobber the file anyway:
Code:
touch /cache/signed-vfpioneer-CRC1-from-CRB17.7fbab120.zip
chmod 000 /cache/signed-vfpioneer-CRC1-from-CRB17.7fbab120.zip
(didnt work)

I tried a bunch of other ideas, trawled through bits of the OS code etc. Tried manually downloading and forcing the OTA update.

What worked:

I tried replacing the build.prop file with JF's v1.51. If anyone needs specifics here happy to help.

Rebooted the phone etc, the build version didn't change and the downloads continued. I didn't want to do a factory reset! So left it like this for a couple of days.

This morning, checked the logs and the downloads weren't happening. Odd. Checked the build version and the "dream_devphone" seems to have been read from the build.prop file now! And in system updates "your system is currently up to date". Yay. So perhaps no need to do a factory reset.