[ROM][4.4.4] [STABLE & WEEKLIES] Official SlimKat (grouper)

Search This thread

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4 and offers the following original features:
  • The Real Dark Slim
    • Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
  • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
    • Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
  • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
    • Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
  • SlimCenter
    • Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
  • Camera Features
    • Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Important links:

slimroms.net - The official webpage where you find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Downloads - Download the rom, gapps and other addons.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.

Latest Changelog - Read here if you want information on changes in latest build.

FAQ - The most frequent asked questions with answers.

Kernel Source - The source of your device's kernel.

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Forum

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

XDA:DevDB Information
SlimKat, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
dexter93, Tylog, SlimRoms
Source Code: https://github.com/SlimRoms

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-03-30
Last Updated 2015-01-01

Last edited by a moderator:

kufikugel

Aug 12, 2012
Some hints:

1. Be sure you are on latest CWM or TWRP recovery!!!!!!

2. Not all gapps packages right now are nice working. You can try others but at least I know that the one linked here is working. If you have other gapps which are working you can link it here of course

3. Full wipe when coming from any 4.3 or 4.4 rom (as well format system manually please)

Last edited:

kufikugel

Aug 12, 2012
Reporting Bugs

When you submit a bug you want to make sure that nothing from your side is causing it. Otherwise your developer might be hunting a bug which doesn't really exist.

The best way to achieve this is by doing the following.

1. Make a nandroid backup.

2. Perform a full wipe (factory reset + wipe /system)
Now we have two different ways depending on what kind of problem you're having.

3a. When you're having a problem with a ROM function, flash just the ROM without GAPPS etc. and boot back into the system. You will boot directly onto the homescreen.

3b. When you're having a problem with a 3rd party app in combination with our ROM then flash the ROM and GAPPS.
Boot now back into the system. You will boot to the setup wizard.
Log in to your Google account but make sure that you untick "Restore from my Google Account to this phone/tablet".
Finish the setup and open the playstore and download only the app you're having problems with.

4. Start a logcat recording and reproduce the bug (if possible more than once) while taking the logcat. If you don't know how to get a logcat read this tutorial or this.

5. Post the logcat in a txt file (this is important because you otherwise clog up the threads with your log) in the correct thread.
Please also write detailed description how we can reproduce the bug.

6. Restore your backup from point 1 and wait for a fix (don't ask for ETAs).

Last edited:

RobertsDF

Oct 19, 2009
Thanks! It's this the same as the aosp versions other then the fixes you have listed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RobertsDF

Oct 19, 2009
Agreed!

I am down downloading now. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: kufikugel

RobertsDF

Oct 19, 2009
Up and running. It is super smooth and fast. I am using this with multirom and did not share kernels. You can also flash this with the latest twrp 2.6.3.0.

There are a couple bugs that are also in the other 4.4 ROMs.

1) screen rotation doesn't work. Also, if you open an app that requires landscape, it will switch but then you are stuck in landscape. Use app called ultimate rotate control from the play store to switch back and forth.

2) the keyboard pops up everytime you press the home button if you have "launcher" selected. This can be fixed by using a different launcher like nova but then you don't have the "OK Google" voice search and functions.

Neither of those bugs are more then an annoyance and I can live with both. Definitely a daily driver !

Oh, gps and location services seem to be working on this ROM , which I believe people were saying didn't work on the others ☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tobiasth

zwoggel

Oh, that was fast. awesome :D Running great so far but I noticed a few things:

I wasn't able to install it with TWRP, got some sort of error. It worked with CWM though.
After playing The Simpsons: Tapped Out I am stuck in Landscape Mode. No matter what I do, it won't return to portrait.

Other than that, no big issues :) Great work.

Dionysus2389

Aug 21, 2012
Ravenna
Working fine! I flashed through twrp recovery and everything is working. As I can see, "ok google" vocal command doesn't work on italian language, but it's working using english, awesome.

Testing it in these days and reporting bugs guys :D

RobertsDF

Oct 19, 2009
Such a fast work, but now I'm a bit confused:

So using TWRP is definetely not recommented?

As I said in my post you quoted, as long as you have updated to twrp 2.6.3.0 it works just fine.

Hi,

Maybe it's only me but if I launch a game that is displayed only in landscape, after quitting the game, I'm stuck in landscape mode.

Is there a workaround ?

As I said on the first page, you can Download an app from the pay store called ultimate rotation control and that will allow you to switch back and forth.

NexusPenguin

As I said on the first page, you can Download an app from the play store called ultimate rotation control and that will allow you to switch back and forth.

Last edited:

Dionysus2389

Aug 21, 2012
Ravenna
Does this work with ART and does the keyboard popup like the other builds when on home screen? Also what about rotation?

Sent from my AOSP on Grouper using Tapatalk 4
Didn't tried ART compiler on this rom yet, but I've already tried on PA 4.4 and everything crashed after the initial apps upgrade, so, yeah, I think it's gonna crash even in this build :|

The keyboard still pops up when you press home button, not a big issue :D

Spitwista

Mar 23, 2013
Bloemfontein
Thank you devs for one hell of a alpha release!!!
No major problems only known graphical glitches.
Flashed with latest twrp

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4 and offers the following original features:
    • The Real Dark Slim
      • Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
    • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
      • Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
    • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
      • Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
    • SlimCenter
      • Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
    • Camera Features
      • Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Important links:

slimroms.net - The official webpage where you find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Downloads - Download the rom, gapps and other addons.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.

Latest Changelog - Read here if you want information on changes in latest build.

FAQ - The most frequent asked questions with answers.

Kernel Source - The source of your device's kernel.

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Forum

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SlimKat, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    dexter93, Tylog, SlimRoms
    Source Code: https://github.com/SlimRoms

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-03-30
    Last Updated 2015-01-01
    it is currently a hard task on the one hand we bring all our devices up on the other hand we put back our features...some are redefined some we programm completly from scratch with new stuff. Eg today we pushed about 200 commits from 4.3 into 4.4 for our other devices + fixes for current devices

but mostly ppl are interested in new features...so new build has:

- superuser included (need to be enabled in developer options!!!)
    - a lot new features just discover them...to much to write up
    - a new crt animation...check it out
    - fix settings locale language problem
    - and tons of fixes under the hood

and new build is up

I added a simple list yesterday but it is actually more we have already included:

- all keyboard features are back (force auto rotate, disable landscape fullscreen, force enter button, ime notification, volume key cursor control)
    - clock statusbar features
    - crt animation
    - statusbar brigthness slide
    - safe headset volume
    - volume rocker features (wake device, sound skip)
    - slims privacy guard
    - volume panel features we had
    - keyguard on supported devices shows now transparent navbar/statusbar as well
    - wifi country code
    - advanced reboot menu
    - custom LED battery and notification features
    - swipe qs -> notification and back
    - disbale OTA from google
    - slims camera and video features (smart capture, image quality, image size, gps indicator etc)
    - implemented root (needs to be enabled in developer settings or in superuser settings. Disabled by default)
    - tons of fixes in google code and optimizations
    - a lot under the hood stuff
    - and whatever I forgot to mention lol
    Some hints:

1. Be sure you are on latest CWM or TWRP recovery!!!!!!

2. Not all gapps packages right now are nice working. You can try others but at least I know that the one linked here is working. If you have other gapps which are working you can link it here of course

3. Full wipe when coming from any 4.3 or 4.4 rom (as well format system manually please)
    Hey guys! Guess what..

SlimKat Build 3.0 Stable

We are proud to announce the first stable release of SlimKat (build 3.0). We would like to thank you for the testing you have done on the weekly builds. This testing laid the foundation for this release.

Instructions: It is very important that you follow the installation instructions (especially the part about wiping/formatting system). If you don't, you will have issues, and there will be no one able to help you out.

Gapps: We have started on the TRDS (The Real Dark Slim) and some compatible apps are included in the release so be sure to update Gapps.

Links for download:

Rom
    Gapps

Changelog:

Frameworks: EdgeGestureService give abbility to reduce the left and right trigger site on IME keyboard
    Frameworks: SlimPie give user ability to reduce trigger heights if IME is active
    Frameworks: TRDS fix possible UI freeze on auto mode change
    Frameworks: Respect and handle shorcut custom icon resources
    Frameworks: Add support for QC's time_daemon
    Frameworks: fix sdk build
    Frameworks: Keyguard: Ensure that a widget and page is attached before attaching the ChallengeLayout.OnBouncerStateChangedListener
    Frameworks: Revert "Make sure to turn off led after pulse()"
    Bootable recovery: Load RTC offset on Qualcomm Krait chips, fixes the broken time & date
    Dialer: Add WhitePages Canada reverse lookup provider
    WhitePages API: Only reload page if the first load has the UUID for the cookie
    Telephony: fix reverese lookup gms logic detection
    General: Again a lot translation updates. Tons of new translations will follow soon (italian and german eg)
    General: A lot small fixes
    Device specific: Again a lot small fixes and upstream. For device specific changes see the attached changelog in the download folder of your device
    Gapps: Update to latest google apps
    Gapps: PlayStore and YouTube TRDS compatibility

Enjoy :)
    so guys the last weekly for this year is rolling out right now. Jenkins started to build the beta.2 weekly builds.

read the changelog as stated above for more details.

A word to grouper/tilapia:

I enabled native USB OTG ;)

have fun, thanks for the support and for the one which are not online tomorrow I wish a happy new year

cheers and thanks

kufi