VS980 won't start up

Search This thread

SmurFFF

Jan 15, 2014
Accidental OTA on custom rom. I have tried other posts but nothing works so far. Can someone please help.

Attachments

• 1394292704815.jpg
    1394292704815.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:

WolfmanJack

Feb 11, 2014
Accidental OTA on custom rom. I have tried other posts but nothing works so far. Can someone please help.

the link below will allow you to revert back to stock unrooted 11A.

after that you can take the OTA to 12B, reroot via IORoot and then use FreeGee to install recovery of your choice.

This has saved my phone a couple times from me getting too cocky with screwing around with things i don't fully understand but think I do.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448960

SmurFFF

Jan 15, 2014

WolfmanJack

Feb 11, 2014
Hmm OK. At work now, I will look into it when I get home. Just throwing this out there cause it caught me, you just press the volume up button, hold it down, then plug in the USB cable with the LG flash tool open and configured. I kept holding the power button down as well.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

SmurFFF

Jan 15, 2014
Hmm OK. At work now, I will look into it when I get home. Just throwing this out there cause it caught me, you just press the volume up button, hold it down, then plug in the USB cable with the LG flash tool open and configured. I kept holding the power button down as well.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

how do i log into flash tool

WolfmanJack

Feb 11, 2014
still no download mode

Ok man here ya go, did some digging around here and found these two threads that may help you.

First is a means of pushing TWRP via ADB, not sure if that is the answer for you by you never know till you try.

Second is a means of using Ubuntu or a VM to replace the corruption caused by OTA

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2449670
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582142

If those do not work either the only other thing I could think to do would be to get on the lg-g2 IRC channel and request help from a dev that is online.

Reactions: SmurFFF

SmurFFF

Jan 15, 2014
Ok man here ya go, did some digging around here and found these two threads that may help you.

First is a means of pushing TWRP via ADB, not sure if that is the answer for you by you never know till you try.

Second is a means of using Ubuntu or a VM to replace the corruption caused by OTA

If those do not work either the only other thing I could think to do would be to get on the lg-g2 IRC channel and request help from a dev that is online.

i have never done an adb before is there any way u could help

WolfmanJack

Feb 11, 2014
thanks sorry about all the questions

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2141817

No worries on the questions man, here is the guide I was talking about. It is pretty straight forward but some areas you may have questions I will let you know what I did.

At one point it talks about setting up system variables or something to that effect. I did not perform this step.

When you open the SDK manager and look at all the packages that are listed it can get a little confusing, for me I just selected all and let the install run it's course. ( took about 20mins ).

Once the install is good it talks about moving a copy of command prompt to the platform tools folder. Not trying to insult your intelligence but it is that simple. Just locate where the .exe for command promt on your computer is, copy it and paste in the platform tools folder.

Once that is done turn your phone on and then plug the phone into your computer. Open the command prompt from the platform tools folder and then type the following:

adb devices

it should populate some brief info about your phone. If not then usb debugging is not enabled on the device. This is why I think this one may not work for you because if it isn't already enabled not sure if there would be a way for you to enable it with the state your device is in, but there are two other ways in the TWRP guide that i already posted about that may work plus the second thread talking about using ubuntu.

SmurFFF

Jan 15, 2014

No worries on the questions man, here is the guide I was talking about. It is pretty straight forward but some areas you may have questions I will let you know what I did.

At one point it talks about setting up system variables or something to that effect. I did not perform this step.

When you open the SDK manager and look at all the packages that are listed it can get a little confusing, for me I just selected all and let the install run it's course. ( took about 20mins ).

Once the install is good it talks about moving a copy of command prompt to the platform tools folder. Not trying to insult your intelligence but it is that simple. Just locate where the .exe for command promt on your computer is, copy it and paste in the platform tools folder.

Once that is done turn your phone on and then plug the phone into your computer. Open the command prompt from the platform tools folder and then type the following:

adb devices

it should populate some brief info about your phone. If not then usb debugging is not enabled on the device. This is why I think this one may not work for you because if it isn't already enabled not sure if there would be a way for you to enable it with the state your device is in, but there are two other ways in the TWRP guide that i already posted about that may work plus the second thread talking about using ubuntu.

Ive done everything it said but i cant get it to recognize adb as a command

WolfmanJack

Feb 11, 2014

Does it say:

"adb" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or bath file

If so the command promt isnt executing from the platform tools.

attatched is a screenshot of two CMD windows, look at the location listed before where what you type in shows up.

the location on the left is from the cmd opened from the platform tools folder, the one on the right is from opening up command prompt from where it is originally located on my computer. when you open yours compare the locations and let me know what you got.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 14

SmurFFF

Jan 15, 2014
Does it say:

"adb" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or bath file

attatched is a screenshot of two CMD windows, look at the location listed before where what you type in shows up.

the location on the left is from the cmd opened from the platform tools folder, the one on the right is from opening up command prompt from where it is originally located on my computer. when you open yours compare the locations and let me know what you got.

im on windows 8 and when i try to find the cmd application i only get a shortcut?

WolfmanJack

Feb 11, 2014
not sure if it differs in windows 8 or not but I know i 7 and older versions it is located C:/windows/system32

also when you copied it did you select paste shortcut or just paste? If you selected paste shortcut that may be your issue, i selected paste and it populates as its own .exe not a short cut. Let me know what you get.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    still no download mode

i have never done an adb before is there any way u could help

There is a pretty detailed guide somewhere on the forum. I will locate it, read through it and add to it if need be bro.
    thanks sorry about all the questions

adb devices

Does it say:

not sure if it differs in windows 8 or not but I know i 7 and older versions it is located C:/windows/system32

also when you copied it did you select paste shortcut or just paste? If you selected paste shortcut that may be your issue, i selected paste and it populates as its own .exe not a short cut. Let me know what you get.