Convert Stock Yakju 4.1.2 to Stock Takju 4.2 without loosing data/apps

Search This thread

freezer2000

Dec 8, 2010
Are you a Galaxy Nexus (yakju) user and waiting for the 4.2 OTA update while the same has been pushed for Takju variant... please follow below to convert from yakju to takju (stock) without loosing your data/apps: (assuming you know adb & fastboot and have set them up on your computer. Also assuming that bootloader is unlocked) [Please read before you implement]

1. Download the 4.2 factory images for Takju from http://goo.gl/UMbmS
2. Extract files using 7-zip on Windows (you need to extract twice and will get the files as: bootloader-xxx.img; radio-xxx.img and image-xxx.zip)
3. Copy these files to the location android-sdk/platform-tools/ (if you have the android-sdk installed or to the location where adb & fastboot is)
4. Plug in your Galaxy Nexus (ensure Debug option is enabled under Developer Settings
5. Follow these commands:
a. adb reboot bootloader
b. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-xxx.img
c. fastboot reboot-bootloader
d. fastboot flash radio radio-xxx.img
e. fastboot reboot-bootloader
f. fastboot update image-xxx.zip

This would update your Galaxy Nexus from Stock 4.1.2 (yakju) to Stock 4.2 (takju) without losing any data/apps

Note:
1. If you using Windows follow the video tutorial to setup adb and fastboot http://goo.gl/jGcic
2. If you are on Mac, use ./ before the commands for execution

Note 2: With this method you don't need to remove the userdata.img as the command "fastboot update image-xxx.zip" does not touch the userdata on your device.

*Disclaimer: I have followed the above to the T and moved from Stock 4.1.2 (yakju) to Stock 4.2 (takju) with Unlocked Bootloader, but you follow these at your own risk.

Hit Thanks, if this has helped you.

Last edited:

paganwinter

Aug 1, 2010
Code:
fastboot update image-xxx.zip

This will almost definitely wipe the data, as image-xxx.zip contains userdata.img
Every other place I have read instructions, they have mentioned that userdata.img must be removed from image-xxx.zip before updating it.

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
To do this you have to have the bootloader UNLOCKED. In the bootloader unlock process, all your data will be wiped, so this guide

DOESN´T WORK

Samhain77

Feb 25, 2009
Code:
fastboot update image-xxx.zip

This will almost definitely wipe the data, as image-xxx.zip contains userdata.img
Every other place I have read instructions, they have mentioned that userdata.img must be removed from image-xxx.zip before updating it.

Sure you're righrt, you've to remove it from the zip file. This guide is not so useful as it should be.
By the way to perform all this actions you need unlocked bootloader, if you haven't yet you will LOSE ALL YOUR DATA when unlocking with: fastboot oem unlock

freezer2000

Dec 8, 2010
Sure you're righrt, you've to remove it from the zip file. This guide is not so useful as it should be.
By the way to perform all this actions you need unlocked bootloader, if you haven't yet you will LOSE ALL YOUR DATA when unlocking with: fastboot oem unlock

That's correct unlocking the bootloader will result in loosing the data.

I should have mentioned that mentioned the assumption of the bootloader being unlocked in the first place. Will do the edit.

Thanks

paganwinter

Aug 1, 2010
Someone (freezer2000) better edit the post before some noobs go about unknowingly deleting their data!

Apart from that, anyone's got any idea what exactly is lost when the userdata.img is flashed? As in what exactly constitutes user data?

freezer2000

Dec 8, 2010
Someone (freezer2000) better edit the post before some noobs go about unknowingly deleting their data!

Apart from that, anyone's got any idea what exactly is lost when the userdata.img is flashed? As in what exactly constitutes user data?

This is exact procedure followed by myself for mine and 4 other Galaxy Nexus's around me, without loosing any data. If that helps...

neelabh75

Jun 28, 2012
Hyderabad
www.shaadigrapher.com
Done!! It is updating now :) Removed the userdata from image. Uploading it here if anyone want to use it.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Looks like I am unable to upload file.

PS:- 4.2 is updated :D Thanks!!

freezer2000

Dec 8, 2010
Done!! It is updating now :) Removed the userdata from image. Uploading it here if anyone want to use it.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Looks like I am unable to upload file.

PS:- 4.2 is updated :D Thanks!!

Did you follow the same steps or actually removed the userdata.img before updating?

freezer2000

Dec 8, 2010
I removed the userdata.img before updating

Ah...a long route... for future use, you may directly update the factory images on the stock rom without actually removing the userdata.img as the command: fastboot update image-xxx.zip will not touch the userdata on the device.

To confirm this, type just fastboot at the command prompt or terminal to see the syntax.

Hope it helps...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you a Galaxy Nexus (yakju) user and waiting for the 4.2 OTA update while the same has been pushed for Takju variant... please follow below to convert from yakju to takju (stock) without loosing your data/apps: (assuming you know adb & fastboot and have set them up on your computer. Also assuming that bootloader is unlocked) [Please read before you implement]

1. Download the 4.2 factory images for Takju from http://goo.gl/UMbmS
    2. Extract files using 7-zip on Windows (you need to extract twice and will get the files as: bootloader-xxx.img; radio-xxx.img and image-xxx.zip)
    3. Copy these files to the location android-sdk/platform-tools/ (if you have the android-sdk installed or to the location where adb & fastboot is)
    4. Plug in your Galaxy Nexus (ensure Debug option is enabled under Developer Settings
    5. Follow these commands:
    a. adb reboot bootloader
    b. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-xxx.img
    c. fastboot reboot-bootloader
    d. fastboot flash radio radio-xxx.img
    e. fastboot reboot-bootloader
    f. fastboot update image-xxx.zip

This would update your Galaxy Nexus from Stock 4.1.2 (yakju) to Stock 4.2 (takju) without losing any data/apps

Note:
    1. If you using Windows follow the video tutorial to setup adb and fastboot http://goo.gl/jGcic
    2. If you are on Mac, use ./ before the commands for execution

Note 2: With this method you don't need to remove the userdata.img as the command "fastboot update image-xxx.zip" does not touch the userdata on your device.

*Disclaimer: I have followed the above to the T and moved from Stock 4.1.2 (yakju) to Stock 4.2 (takju) with Unlocked Bootloader, but you follow these at your own risk.

Hit Thanks, if this has helped you.
    Thanks people

I am glad it has helped you all.

Also currently only TWRP supports 4.2, CWM is yet to update, if that helps.

Hit Thanks, if it works
    This worked as advertised. I did lose root and cwm though.
    Works as advertised. No need to remove the userdata.img!
    Thanks for this!
    Hi,

Can I use this guide if I'm using 4.1.1 (JRO03C) yakjuxw,rooted, unlocked with CWM recovery touch 6.0.1.5?

I want 4.2..

Please help.

You should be able to update your GNex from 4.1.1 as it does a fresh installation of the system files and keeps the data and apps intact.

Please note that using this process will make you loose cwm and root.