[Q] KitKat s#cks.... Help please!

Search This thread

kidqwik

May 25, 2013
NJ
I should have never taken the Kitkat update. Yeah, I read all the things about third party apps not being able to save to SD card but I didn't think that would effect the stock apps and the way things normally occur. So.. Here's my biggest problem which has me extremely pissed after attending EDC NYC last night..

I use the stock camera app to record a lot of video. Unfortunately... Like NONE of it saved. I have the SD card set as storage. The pictures saved. None of the video I recorded last night saved. Sometimes it looked like it did, then it wouldn't play. Or I'd get the corrupted icon. I look this morning, nothing there. Thankfully I also brought a REAL digital camera and used it sometimes, but.. All the good video I used my crappy Note 3(showing my rage). What is wrong and how do I fix this? Why wouldn't the stock camera video app keeps my videos?

Another weird problem I have and I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. Many times when I go into settings, my ringer volume and everything drops and goes into complete silence. Like I had manually reduced the ringer sound fromt he side button which I didn't. Then I have to jack it back up.

Also, some apps now have a tendency to save to the SD card right from the Google Play. Only thing is, they save to SD card and are not able to be run. They crash instantly and say they have stopped... You then can't move them from SD card to internal memory either cause they crash then as well.. You uninstall them, they install again on SD card when u try to reinstall and same problem. Only way to get them to install to internal memory and be able to run is to remove the SD card, install them when there is no SD card in phone, then reinstall SD card and they will then run from internal memory cause they weren't installed on SD card. Is there a setting that somehow got switched to install to SD card instead of internal by default? Seriously... Kitkat has made my once joy to use Note 3 complete sadness... :(

All this badness happened since I got Kitkat. I'm not rooted either. I should have rooted before I guess but.. Ugh.. Is there a root method now if we took the OTA update? TY in advance!

Last edited:
I should have never taken the Kitkat update. Yeah, I read all the things about third party apps not being able to save to SD card but I didn't think that would effect the stock apps and the way things normally occur. So.. Here's my biggest problem which has me extremely pissed after attending EDC NYC last night..

I use the stock camera app to record a lot of video. Unfortunately... Like NONE of it saved. I have the SD card set as storage. The pictures saved. None of the video I recorded last night saved. Sometimes it looked like it did, then it wouldn't play. Or I'd get the corrupted icon. I look this morning, nothing there. Thankfully I also brought a REAL digital camera and used it sometimes, but.. All the good video I used my crappy Note 3(showing my rage). What is wrong and how do I fix this? Why wouldn't the stock camera video app keeps my videos?

Another weird problem I have and I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. Many times when I go into settings, my ringer volume and everything drops and goes into complete silence. Like I had manually reduced the ringer sound fromt he side button which I didn't. Then I have to jack it back up.

Also, some apps now have a tendency to save to the SD card right from the Google Play. Only thing is, they save to SD card and are not able to be run. They crash instantly and say they have stopped... You then can't move them from SD card to internal memory either cause they crash then as well.. You uninstall them, they install again on SD card when u try to reinstall and same problem. Only way to get them to install to internal memory and be able to run is to remove the SD card, install them when there is no SD card in phone, then reinstall SD card and they will then run from internal memory cause they weren't installed on SD card. Is there a setting that somehow got switched to install to SD card instead of internal by default? Seriously... Kitkat has made my once joy to use Note 3 complete sadness... :(

All this badness happened since I got Kitkat. I'm not rooted either. I should have rooted before I guess but.. Ugh.. Is there a root method now if we took the OTA update? TY in advance!

No root yet for kitkat, that's why I kept bypassing update on mine until I got root up. Now on KitKat with SD Card Fix(which you need root for) and all is well. Unfortunately Kitkat has drastically changed what Apps can and can't do with the same permissions they hat on JB. Honestly I agree this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I guess they were sick of the malware and poorly written apps blowing away other apps data or stealing it. It's too bad they had to go the apple route.

Short of returning and demanding a JB phone, Only advice is be patient and hope someone figures out how to root, or find apps that properly work with Kit Kat SD Card settings.

kidqwik

May 25, 2013
NJ
No root yet for kitkat, that's why I kept bypassing update on mine until I got root up. Now on KitKat with SD Card Fix(which you need root for) and all is well. Unfortunately Kitkat has drastically changed what Apps can and can't do with the same permissions they hat on JB. Honestly I agree this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I guess they were sick of the malware and poorly written apps blowing away other apps data or stealing it. It's too bad they had to go the apple route.

Short of returning and demanding a JB phone, Only advice is be patient and hope someone figures out how to root, or find apps that properly work with Kit Kat SD Card settings.

The main problem right now is the video recordings. I can't record anything beyond like 15 seconds with Instagram. If I use the camera's video recorder I see it recording, but when I stop it, he recording becomes corrupted and is unplayable. An idea what is causing this? Would reformatting the SD card work? The thing is this is the stock camera app. It shouldnt have any prob recording stuff to SD. The picture record. It's just the videos that are screwing up

The main problem right now is the video recordings. I can't record anything beyond like 15 seconds with Instagram. If I use the camera's video recorder I see it recording, but when I stop it, he recording becomes corrupted and is unplayable. An idea what is causing this? Would reformatting the SD card work? The thing is this is the stock camera app. It shouldnt have any prob recording stuff to SD. The picture record. It's just the videos that are screwing up

Change the camera storage to Phone and and see if that works, if so, then it sounds like your card has an issue, or the App has issues accessing it properly. I would start by reformatting the card, if that doesn't work then maybe you need a hard reset.