[GUIDE] dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now supports GS3 I9300 (Windows/Linux/Mac)

Search This thread

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now for Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

Compatible with Windows (Cygwin) / Linux / Mac OS X

The following is a guide to assist you with creating your own Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300(T) custom ROMs with the kitchen. This is NOT a guide to help you become Cyanogen or do fancy things with AOSP, but it may be your springboard to bigger things in the future.

Some of you already know about the Android Kitchen. It is a project I started on back in February 2010 to help newbies create their own custom ROMs and learn more about Android. As of the latest versions, you can now create your own Galaxy S3 I9300 ROMs with the kitchen.

NOTE: This guide may also work for other Samsung devices. So if you were told to come here and you have a different device, it was not an error - just make sure you use a base ROM from your own device, not from the I9300! For all other Galaxy S3 variants, this guide might not be exactly the one you're looking for. There may be support for your S3 device in the kitchen, but I'd need to post different instructions. Check the first post of the kitchen thread for any updates for linked instructions.

I'd like to thank klander for testing and providing feedback, which is always appreciated!

PROCEDURE FOR MAKING YOUR ROM:

NOTE: If you have a non-I9300 device and were told to follow these instructions, then use a base ROM from that device, NOT a ROM meant for the I9300!! The same steps below, however, (and common sense) should be used.

1. First, you need a rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 with a custom recovery menu, which allows flashing of custom ROMs.
  2. Visit the Android Kitchen thread to download the kitchen. Then, follow the link to the FAQ which will show you how to install it on Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. Ensure you read the FAQ carefully.
  3. Put one or more of your base ROM(s) under the original_update folder. For the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, there is support for the following formats (that I know of) which can be placed in that folder:
    • Stock firmware:
      • system.img, boot.img, cache.img (and optionally: modem.bin)
      • TAR/ZIP file containing the above. NOTE: If the TAR file name ends with "MD5", remove the MD5 part from the name.
    • OR Custom ROM:
      • must be a ZIP file created by the kitchen from the stock firmware (NOTE: The kitchen may NOT support custom ROMs created through other methods such as CyanogenMod, due to potential file structure incompatibility issues)
    • OR Nandroid backup from custom recovery image:
      • system.img, cache.img and boot.img
      • system.ext4.tar, cache.ext4.tar and boot.img
  4. Here are some basic steps to creating your first ROM after you have your base of files under original_update (more options are available in the kitchen):
    1. Start the kitchen with: ./menu
    2. Create a working folder (by choosing your base ROM)
    3. Root your ROM
    4. Add Busybox
    5. Optional: Disable boot sounds
    6. Optional: In the Advanced options menu: De-odex your ROM (your mileage may vary as to whether this works 100%)
    7. Optional: Add or remove the modem.bin from your working folder
    8. Build ROM
  5. The ROM is built into a ZIP file meant for flashing from the custom recovery menu. No Odin. Make a Nandroid backup of your current system before you flash anything!
  6. Some notes:
    • Just select the defaults whenever you are asked about something in the kitchen and are unsure whether to type 'y' or 'n'.
    • There are lots of questions answered in the FAQ in Posts 3 and 4 of the main Android Kitchen thread. So please go through that first if you have any issues.

For the benefit of other readers and to prevent confusion, please only discuss the Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 in this thread!

Most of all, have patience, take your time and enjoy!!

Last edited:

Kangburra

Sep 7, 2007
I have a de-bloat script if you want a copy to convert to a kitchen script. It's perl calling system values and the kitchen.

Are we still meant to be extracting the img files manually to get them working?

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I have a de-bloat script if you want a copy to convert to a kitchen script. It's perl calling system values and the kitchen.

I'm not doing additional work, but if you'd like you could make a plugin for the kitchen, which would go under the /scripts/plugins folder and can be accessed from the Advanced menu of the kitchen. I can advertise it in the kitchen thread (in the plugins section) as a separate download under your name.

With Cygwin the kitchen will give you instructions on which program to open and how to use it (manually). The programs are found in the kitchen.

With Linux/Mac, it is all automated and very quick.

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011
Just when I thought this kitchen was a goner, you came along and made it work again :D

Kangburra

Sep 7, 2007
I have just put the French zip into the kitchen and it fails to extract the img files.

Available ROMs:

(1) I9300XXDLIH_I9300VFGDLJ1_SFR.zip

Enter selection number (default=1, cancel=0, r=refresh):

Selected I9300XXDLIH_I9300VFGDLJ1_SFR.zip

The new working folder will be named WORKING_101712_171605
Change the name (y/n)? (default: n):

Creating working folder WORKING_101712_171605 ...

Extracting ROM ...

Error: No system folder found!

Press Enter to continue

It works after manually extracting so no big deal :D

L335K1

Account currently disabled
Jun 29, 2012
GB
meettomy.site

The following is a guide to assist you with creating your own Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300(T) custom ROMs with the kitchen. This is NOT a guide to help you become Cyanogen or do fancy things with AOSP, but it may be your springboard to bigger things in the future.

Some of you already know about the Android Kitchen. It is a project I started on back in February 2010 to help newbies create their own custom ROMs and learn more about Android. As of the latest versions, you can now create your own Galaxy S3 I9300 ROMs with the kitchen.

IMPORTANT: For all other Galaxy S3 variants, this guide may not be exactly the one you're looking for. There may be support for your S3 device in the kitchen, but I'd need to post different instructions. Check the first post of the kitchen thread for any updates for linked instructions.

just wanted to let u know that when cooking my rom with ur kitchen, awesome by the way, i was getting constant hang at logo on boot. i went back to the beginning as it worked and booted and just added bit by bit until i found the issue. the issue was adding busybox install run parts. it took me a day to figure this out. i went through kernel to framework and nothing fixed this issue where booting just to logo then stuck. finally deleted working folder, went back to a basic rom, slowly added root, then busybox, deodex etc. i dont know if this issue is specific to just me and my particular build but just putting it out there for others wanting to use this excellent kitchen on their i9305.

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
just wanted to let u know that when cooking my rom with ur kitchen, awesome by the way, i was getting constant hang at logo on boot. i went back to the beginning as it worked and booted and just added bit by bit until i found the issue. the issue was adding busybox install run parts. it took me a day to figure this out. i went through kernel to framework and nothing fixed this issue where booting just to logo then stuck. finally deleted working folder, went back to a basic rom, slowly added root, then busybox, deodex etc. i dont know if this issue is specific to just me and my particular build but just putting it out there for others wanting to use this excellent kitchen on their i9305.

Did you create a /system/etc/init.d folder with your custom scripts after enabling the Busybox Run-parts? That option is quite old but I have not seen anyone try or test it with any of the Galaxies. Maybe when you have time next time, do a logcat while it boots and see what the problem is (assuming you had the init.d folder created already). Thanks

L335K1

Account currently disabled
Jun 29, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
Did you create a /system/etc/init.d folder with your custom scripts after enabling the Busybox Run-parts? That option is quite old but I have not seen anyone try or test it with any of the Galaxies. Maybe when you have time next time, do a logcat while it boots and see what the problem is (assuming you had the init.d folder created already). Thanks

yea i created the init.d folder first, (using v29 so it gives u warning anyways), but it still does this. i have to add init.d support manually through my script. but this is awesome, i just gotta remember not to use that feature.. i did both logcat and recovery logs but couldnt make heads or tails of it. it was easier to go back through ur kitchen, add 1 feature at a time until i found the culprit. thanks heaps

Reactions: dsixda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOTE: This guide may also work for other Samsung devices. So if you were told to come here and you have a different device, it was not an error - just make sure you use a base ROM from your own device, not from the I9300! For all other Galaxy S3 variants, this guide might not be exactly the one you're looking for. There may be support for your S3 device in the kitchen, but I'd need to post different instructions. Check the first post of the kitchen thread for any updates for linked instructions.

I'd like to thank klander for testing and providing feedback, which is always appreciated!

PROCEDURE FOR MAKING YOUR ROM:

NOTE: If you have a non-I9300 device and were told to follow these instructions, then use a base ROM from that device, NOT a ROM meant for the I9300!! The same steps below, however, (and common sense) should be used.

1. First, you need a rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 with a custom recovery menu, which allows flashing of custom ROMs.
    2. Visit the Android Kitchen thread to download the kitchen. Then, follow the link to the FAQ which will show you how to install it on Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. Ensure you read the FAQ carefully.
    3. Put one or more of your base ROM(s) under the original_update folder. For the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, there is support for the following formats (that I know of) which can be placed in that folder:
      • Stock firmware:
        • system.img, boot.img, cache.img (and optionally: modem.bin)
        • TAR/ZIP file containing the above. NOTE: If the TAR file name ends with "MD5", remove the MD5 part from the name.
      • OR Custom ROM:
        • must be a ZIP file created by the kitchen from the stock firmware (NOTE: The kitchen may NOT support custom ROMs created through other methods such as CyanogenMod, due to potential file structure incompatibility issues)
      • OR Nandroid backup from custom recovery image:
        • system.img, cache.img and boot.img
        • system.ext4.tar, cache.ext4.tar and boot.img
    4. Here are some basic steps to creating your first ROM after you have your base of files under original_update (more options are available in the kitchen):
      1. Start the kitchen with: ./menu
      2. Create a working folder (by choosing your base ROM)
      3. Root your ROM
      4. Add Busybox
      5. Optional: Disable boot sounds
      6. Optional: In the Advanced options menu: De-odex your ROM (your mileage may vary as to whether this works 100%)
      7. Optional: Add or remove the modem.bin from your working folder
      8. Build ROM
    5. The ROM is built into a ZIP file meant for flashing from the custom recovery menu. No Odin. Make a Nandroid backup of your current system before you flash anything!
    6. Some notes:
      • Just select the defaults whenever you are asked about something in the kitchen and are unsure whether to type 'y' or 'n'.
      • There are lots of questions answered in the FAQ in Posts 3 and 4 of the main Android Kitchen thread. So please go through that first if you have any issues.

For the benefit of other readers and to prevent confusion, please only discuss the Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 in this thread!

Most of all, have patience, take your time and enjoy!!

Perfect! Just two days ago i was think at dsixda kitchen! I don`t have enough thanks for this!

I'm not doing additional work, but if you'd like you could make a plugin for the kitchen, which would go under the /scripts/plugins folder and can be accessed from the Advanced menu of the kitchen. I can advertise it in the kitchen thread (in the plugins section) as a separate download under your name.

With Cygwin the kitchen will give you instructions on which program to open and how to use it (manually). The programs are found in the kitchen.

With Linux/Mac, it is all automated and very quick.
    Please not see me? can give direct link? thank you very much

If you refuse to or are unable to read post #1 then you'll have trouble using - and even installing - the kitchen.