[Q] HTC One M7 stuck in boot loop

Search This thread

phillenium17

May 15, 2013
Hi,
I used Hasoon's all in one tool to successfully unlock the bootloader on my One, and flashed a recovery (TWRP).

When I went to install a kernel (Bulletproof) I messed up and installed the boot.img file from bulletproof instead of loading it through recovery (dumb i know).

Now my phone just constantly reboots itself, it gets to the HTC splash screen for less than a second, and then reboots again. Holding down power + volume down does nothing either.

Can anyone help or suggest anything please?

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle
Hi,
I used Hasoon's all in one tool to successfully unlock the bootloader on my One, and flashed a recovery (TWRP).

When I went to install a kernel (Bulletproof) I messed up and installed the boot.img file from bulletproof instead of loading it through recovery (dumb i know).

Now my phone just constantly reboots itself, it gets to the HTC splash screen for less than a second, and then reboots again. Holding down power + volume down does nothing either.

Try holding just volume down. Do you know how to use ADB? if you time it right a fastboot reboot-bootloader will get you to bootloader or you can do it through the all in one toolkit you will have to close the first window at the right time and it will send the command for you.

And some light reading pertaining to your issue

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2273452&highlight=boot+loop
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272236&highlight=boot+loop
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270550&highlight=boot+loop

Last edited:

phillenium17

May 15, 2013
Try holding just volume down. Do you know how to use ADB? if you time it right a fastboot reboot-bootloader will get you to bootloader or you can do it through the all in one toolkit you will have to close the first window at the right time and it will send the command for you.

Tried just volume down and same result, HTC splash screen for less than a second and reboot. I've not used ADB before, can you give me a link to download it? Or, in the all in one tool which command am I using? "ADB Sideload a ROM" from the extras box?

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle
Tried just volume down and same result, HTC splash screen for less than a second and reboot. I've not used ADB before, can you give me a link to download it? Or, in the all in one tool which command am I using? "ADB Sideload a ROM" from the extras box?

Well looks like it's time to learn. :)

First thing that just might make this easy. In the all in one under commands there is Erase Cache. Click on that hit the ok button and then close the first window. Next windows will say waiting for device now with a little luck upon one of the reboots it will catch the device and wipe the cache. That should then allow you to hold volume down and get into the bootloader. If not let me know and we will proceed to option 2 :D

Last edited:
Reactions: stingyguji

phillenium17

May 15, 2013
Read through those threads and the first one was the closest to my problem.

Tried the Boot into Bootloader and Erase Cache commands from the All in One tool and both just give me "device not detected" errors. Tried them multiple times during the phone booting up, but its not even being detected by my PC.

I can't even turn the bloody thing off it just sits there on my desk buzzing every time to restarts itself.

phillenium17

May 15, 2013

First thing that just might make this easy. In the all in one under commands there is Erase Cache. Click on that hit the ok button and then close the first window. Next windows will say waiting for device now with a little luck upon one of the reboots it will catch the device and wipe the cache. That should then allow you to hold volume down and get into the bootloader. If not let me know and we will proceed to option 2 :D

No luck, left the second window sitting there but it's not picking it up at all, show me option 2 please :confused:

Last edited:

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle
No luck, left the second window sitting there but it's not picking it up at all, show me option 2 please :confused:

Sorry watching the google IO man some cool new things are coming :good:

Ok now down to business. I am guessing your computer is all set up and you have drivers as you already installed a recovery. So do to the all in one toolkit then go into the data folder once there hold down Ctrl and shift and right click on empty space. You will get a option to Open Command Windows Here do that. A black dos command box will pop up. type

fastboot reboot-bootloader

it should say waiting for device

Nevermind that's not going to work. Try this when your phone is starting up hold the power button until screen goes black then immediately hold down volume down and don't let go. Try with the phone plugged in to computer and without

Last edited:
Reactions: adyscorpius

phillenium17

May 15, 2013

Ok now down to business. I am guessing your computer is all set up and you have drivers as you already installed a recovery. So do to the all in one toolkit then go into the data folder once there hold down Ctrl and shift and right click on empty space. You will get a option to Open Command Windows Here do that. A black dos command box will pop up. type

Nevermind that's not going to work. Try this when your phone is starting up hold the power button until screen goes black then immediately hold down volume down and don't let go. Try with the phone plugged in to computer and without

I left the phone in the office overnight and it must have drained the battery enough to kill the boot loop. Was able to get to the bootloader screen this morning when I checked before leaving for work.

So reflash recovery you think or should I factory reset it and start again?

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle
I left the phone in the office overnight and it must have drained the battery enough to kill the boot loop. Was able to get to the bootloader screen this morning when I checked before leaving for work.

So reflash recovery you think or should I factory reset it and start again?

I would reflash custom recovery do it a couple times and after that wipe the cache. Power down the device and then turn it back on and go to recovery.

Make sure it has a decent charge on it like 30%, 50 would be best.

phillenium17

May 15, 2013
Use CWM because at this point you are going to have to sideload the ROM. So find the ROM you want and download it. Then rename it to rom.zip then from the all in one go to side load a rom and in clockwork mod go to the same thing might be under advanced.

Ok cool, will try that when I get home this afternoon. At this stage I just wanted to put the Bulletproof kernel on for the improved battery life and sweep functions, or do I need to install a custom ROM as well? I've got the Bulletproof zip file on my PC so am I renaming that?

unremarked

Jun 18, 2009
Out There
Ok cool, will try that when I get home this afternoon. At this stage I just wanted to put the Bulletproof kernel on for the improved battery life and sweep functions, or do I need to install a custom ROM as well? I've got the Bulletproof zip file on my PC so am I renaming that?

Installing a custom kernel on top of an unmodified stock ROM is a very bad idea. You don't have to go full custom like TrickDroid or ARHD, but there are rooted/somewhat modified stock ROMs available to use.

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle

Installing a custom kernel on top of an unmodified stock ROM is a very bad idea. You don't have to go full custom like TrickDroid or ARHD, but there are rooted/somewhat modified stock ROMs available to use.

If that's what you originally did then that's what caused this to happen. You can not install a custom kernel on a stock Rom. Unremarked is 100% correct. Also check the Rom to make sure it supports a custom kernel. Trick droid is nice coupled with a custom kernel you can use the HTC logo for a menu button :)

phillenium17

May 15, 2013

That is, stupidly, what I did. Wasn't aware I couldn't install a kernel on stock ROM.

So....

From here install a custom ROM via sideload through the all in one tool?

Then install the new kernel?

phillenium17

May 15, 2013
Been doing some more reading and I think I'll go with the Renovate ROM, so I should just need to install a recovery again and then sideload the ROM?

phillenium17

May 15, 2013
Yes sir. Make sure to flash the rom and then boot the phone up. Then restart again to recovery and then flash kernel.

Thank you nullkill, looks like the latest build of the ROM doesn't support Bulletproof kernel anymore (or its unstable if used) so I'll just flash the ROM I think, or do I need to install the stock kernel after flashing the ROM too?

Sorry for all the questions :cyclops:

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle
Thank you nullkill, looks like the latest build of the ROM doesn't support Bulletproof kernel anymore (or its unstable if used) so I'll just flash the ROM I think, or do I need to install the stock kernel after flashing the ROM too?

Sorry for all the questions :cyclops:

No problem. You should be able to flash the rom and be good. If you have any issues make sure to wipe the cache.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

So something like TWRP in the all in one? Thanks for your help on this too nullkill.

Use CWM because at this point you are going to have to sideload the ROM. So find the ROM you want and download it. Then rename it to rom.zip then from the all in one go to side load a rom and in clockwork mod go to the same thing might be under advanced.