[GUIDE]How to make otg cable with external power connector

Search This thread

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara
HOW TO MAKE USB OTG CABLE WITH AN EXTERNAL USB POWER SUPPLY for those who cannot find such a cable in their country(like me)

jbyyJmiubNol6B.jpg

You need a kernel with USB OTG support. SebastianFM's kernel, here

The Micro Usb connector has 5 pins inside. In standard data cables that comes with the phone, only 4 pins are used. When the unused pin is connected, the cable becomes an OTG cable.
micro-usb-B-connector.png

Pin 1 : VCC pin, +5V Power supply, COLOR : RED
Pin 2 : D-, Data- Signal line, COLOR : WHITE
Pin 3 : D+, Data+ Signal line, COLOR : GREEN
Pin 4 : This is the pin which is not used in standard data cables, we will "SHORT" it to pin 5 to make an OTG CABLE
Pin 5 : GND, Ground Supply

These colors are UNIVERSAL in USB connectors, this means the red is always VCC, black is GND and the other two always perform the same action, unless somebody deliberately connects the colors to different pins :)

Warning : I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE ON ANYTHING. (YOUR PHONE, DATA CABLE, USB CONNECTOR, HOUSE, FERRARI ETC.) IF YOU AVOID ANY SHORT CIRCUITS, AND COMPLETE ALL THE STEPS AS I EXPLAIN THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM. AND THIS TUTORIAL SUPPOSES YOUR PHONE AS AN HTC PYRAMID

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN OTG CABLE, YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH TO DO.. YOU GO TO 2

1 ) THOSE WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE AN OTG CABLE START HERE -THESE STEPS REQUIRE EXPERIENCE ON SOLDERING

What you need:

1)A "MICRO USB B" head. (Can be obtained from an old charger, data cable)
2)USB A Male to USB A Female Connector : These Connectors
3)USB Cable (A short one is enough)
4)A sharp knife,etc.
5)Soldering Kit
6)Hot Glue
7)Tape
8)Some experience on soldering :)

STEP 1 - The first thing yo need to do is to SLICE two sides of the plastic cover of the micro USB connector, and clean the glue under it. You will need the plastic cover later!
HAVE A LOOK AT THIS VIDEO TO UNDERSTAND CLEARLY

STEP 2 - Once you reach the pins under the glue, you can get your soldering iron now to start soldering.
usb_conn_pinout.jpg

Matching cable Colors and Pin NUMBERS AGAIN : 1-RED, 2-WHITE, 3-GREEN, 4-NO CABLE, 5-BLACK

STEP 3 - If you did soldering (or cables are already soldered to pins--if you're using a data cable) now you need to SHORT CIRCUIT the EMPTY PIN (PIN 4) and PIN 5 (Black Cable). You can use a very short piece of cable to do this. NOW YOU HAVE A "MICRO USB B" CONNECTOR WITH OTG SUPPORT.

STEP 4 - After you completed the soldering, and IF you are sure you made no mistakes, apply HOT GLUE. Wait for it to get cold and hard, then cover it with the plastics you sliced before. You can use cheap quick glues to do that. How the connector looks after all depends on your creativity and ability :)

STEP 5 - Cut the cable of the USB A MALE to USB A FEMALE connector at 20-25 cm from the female connector. Now you can connect USB Female A connector, Micro USB B connector, and USB Male A connector :D

STEP 6 - First connect the matching colored wires of USB FEMALE A connector and Micro USB B Connector (red to red-white to white-green to green-black to black). Now you've a working OTG cable, but without an external power connector.

STEP 7 - To connect the "USB A MALE" connector,which will be the external power to the OTG, you only need to connect red and black colored wires of it (the +5V and GND wires) to the matching colors of the other two cables you connected before ("MICRO USB B" and "USB A FEMALE"--The OTG CABLE you've made). If you connect white and green wires of "USB A MALE" connector, YOUR CABLE WILL NOT FUNCTION. DO NOT CONNECT WHITE AND GREEN WIRES OF MALE USB A CONNECTOR.

You can use soldering iron to strenghten the connection between wires. Or you can just use tape. It's up to you. Just be sure that there's no possibility of short circuits.

You need to use tape for each color of wires to prevent short circuits.

AGAIN : Be sure that you've made all the steps carefully and correctly, and avoided any short circuits before using your cable. The only short circuit should be the pin 4 and pin 5 of MICRO USB A connector :D

AND YES IT'S DONE, YOU CAN USE YOUR CABLE NOW :p

2 ) THOSE WHO HAVE USB OTG CABLE AND JUST WANT TO CONNECT AN EXTRA USB POWER CONNECTOR--START HERE

You need :
1)MALE USB A CONNECTOR with 100-120 cm cable -- lenght depends on you, should not be much longer than 2 meters(standard usb connectors) (U can get it from any data cables, old USB mouse cables, controller-joystick cables.. Just cut the cable at 100-120cm from the connector)
2)Your OTG Cable :)
3)A Sharp Knife etc.
4)Tape
5)Soldering kit (optional--if you want to strenghten the connections of wires)

STEP 1 ) Cut the USB OTG cable in the middle.
STEP 2 ) You only need red and black colored wires of "MALE USB A" connector, which are +5V and GND.
STEP 3 ) Connect the matching colors of your OTG cable again, but this time also connect the "MALE USB A" connector's red and black wires to the matching colors. WHITE and GREEN wires of this connector should not be connected. Otherwise the cable WILL NOT FUNCTION.

BE SURE THAT THERE'S NO POSSIBILITY OF SHORT CIRCUITS AND YOU'VE MADE NOTHING WRONG :)

You can also connect SHIELD WIRES of each cable to each other. But i'm not sure what actually it does. If you test it, please post your experiences.

What is Shield Wire:
USB-cable-wiring.png

The USB cables actually also have "SHIELD WIRE". My 2.5" external LG HDD does not work with the cables without shield wire, but many products should work. Shield wire is the one silver colored wire surrounding the other four colored cables and aluminium foil. It is connected to the outer silver colored parts of the connectors. I'll update this post after testing if shield wire needs to be connected,too. For now i use my cable without it, but my hdd does not work. All others (usb mouse, usb flash drives, joystick, hub, my sony e443 Walkman :D, PS3 Dualshock 3 Controller etc.) work. I don't know if the reason why my hdd does not work is that wire. Will test it by monday and upgrade my post.

My own made cable is attached below, not perfect, but good, working fine :)

Thanks to SebastianFM

Attachments

• rsz_c360_2012-08-11-23-55-29.jpg
    rsz_c360_2012-08-11-23-55-29.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 76,841
Last edited:

mechexpert

Jan 8, 2011
Ludhiana
Thanks!!

Hey i wanted to make my own DIY cable similar to yours. Similar cuz i will be using this on my allwinner based TABLET. it has native OTG support but the original cable is lost. i was looking for pinouts but this guide was better. :good::good::good::good: anyhow my main worry is :- :confused:

WE ARE USING EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY WITH THIS HACK. IT WORKS FOR SURE NO DOUBT BUT, IS THERE A CHANCE THAT IT MIGHT DAMAGE THE TABLET . (current running back to the tablet ? :confused: tho i doubt it cuz my tablet can be charged with this same port also, still wanna be sure .. :silly: ) ?? :confused::confused:

PS: - USING HTC ORIGINAL USB CHARGER AS EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY ( 5V & 1AMP) i only use external supply with hdd only. :angel::angel:

rest thumbs up !!! great work !! :good::good::good::victory:

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

yes this combination works perfectly :laugh: :D

but i guess for all "DIY" ppl (like me) this is better .... he he ... :cyclops:

Reactions: jacktechtutor777

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara

I couldnot find 2 males to one female usb cable (Y cable) in my country.. This is of course a better choice with no soldering, no tape, just connectors :)

Hey i wanted to make my own DIY cable similar to yours. Similar cuz i will be using this on my allwinner based TABLET. it has native OTG support but the original cable is lost. i was looking for pinouts but this guide was better. :good::good::good::good: anyhow my main worry is :- :confused:

WE ARE USING EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY WITH THIS HACK. IT WORKS FOR SURE NO DOUBT BUT, IS THERE A CHANCE THAT IT MIGHT DAMAGE THE TABLET . (current running back to the tablet ? :confused: tho i doubt it cuz my tablet can be charged with this same port also, still wanna be sure .. :silly: ) ?? :confused::confused:

PS: - USING HTC ORIGINAL USB CHARGER AS EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY ( 5V & 1AMP) i only use external supply with hdd only. :angel::angel:

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

If you avoid ANY short circuits, there's no possibility of damaging your product :good:

Reactions: dingbolt

sauravdante

Jan 9, 2011
confused

Sir, I have done exactly what's in the guide for having an otg cable and attaching a usb male for external power. But I am facing a little problem and that is when I connect power to usb male first, but without attaching to my Tab, and I connect my pen drive first, it doesn't get powers as the led doesn't blink. But it does blink only at the moment I insert the pen drive into the female usb. Now I did a different thing, I connected micro usb port to my Tab, then my pen drive and then the power male usb cable, it works fine. But I am getting confused that is my pen drive getting power from that attached usb male. :rolleyes:

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara
Sir, I have done exactly what's in the guide for having an otg cable and attaching a usb male for external power. But I am facing a little problem and that is when I connect power to usb male first, but without attaching to my Tab, and I connect my pen drive first, it doesn't get powers as the led doesn't blink. But it does blink only at the moment I insert the pen drive into the female usb. Now I did a different thing, I connected micro usb port to my Tab, then my pen drive and then the power male usb cable, it works fine. But I am getting confused that is my pen drive getting power from that attached usb male. :rolleyes:

I sometimes face the same problem when i want to use my external HDD device. But its not a problem at all. I think usb male power has some difficulties on supplying enough power to both phone and HDD. It works by connecting HDD first, then USB male to power, and then phone. This order may change according to your charger, device, and phone :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda app-developers app

romny19

May 11, 2012
Hollywood, FL
i dont know what happened to this. i just did exactly all the steps.... then i first tried it on my HTC one s with a USB 16GB and now my USB doesnt work.... i even connected the USB to see if i still works on my computer and now its dead... ti doent even light up.....

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara
i dont know what happened to this. i just did exactly all the steps.... then i first tried it on my HTC one s with a USB 16GB and now my USB doesnt work.... i even connected the USB to see if i still works on my computer and now its dead... ti doent even light up.....

You may have damaged it? You sure you connected all the wires correctly? Because all these colors are universal and there shouldn't be any problem once everything properly done.

Last edited:

Magoogle

Nov 7, 2012
Question.. on another thread someone mentioned using a 100k ohm resistor between pins 4 and 5 for "charging" while using OTG mode. Any particular reason why you didn't include this? reading your comments it appears like its not required but just curious.

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara
Question.. on another thread someone mentioned using a 100k ohm resistor between pins 4 and 5 for "charging" while using OTG mode. Any particular reason why you didn't include this? reading your comments it appears like its not required but just curious.

Some newer phones (like s3) do not charge while using a Y cable. For ex. the controller is connected to Y cable and it works with the phone, but the phone is not charged although the power is also connected to the Y cable. This is annoying because playing games consumes battery ver quickly :) I (am not sure but) think the reason for including a 100ohm resistor is to enable charging and host mode at the same time on such phones. On Sensation there's no need for it because this cable just works perfect for Sensation. Charges and hosts at the same time.

Last edited:

liviococcia

May 4, 2012
Great info and instructions, now the only answer to the burning question I have is.......

..... Has anyone... Anyone! at all! managed to make a OTG Cable with a USB power plug, using the correct 'resistor' value while still using the phones stock 'unrooted' JB 4.1.2 rom, and stock 'kernal' not patched in anyway for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Although there are products on eBay said to do this job, and have been reported to work by others, the sellers that offer these adapters are all based in China, and will not trade/sell to Europe at all.

If anyone has a solution around this problem, sharing there knowledge would be great.

Regards

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys
Is it possible to use a USB HUB and connect to phone via otg cable and use mouse and keyboard and charge the phone simultaneously?
Is not dangerous for phone?
Guide me please

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Itsakash

Jul 20, 2012
New Mumbai

chinna_rao

May 28, 2012
Bharuch/Visakhapatnam
I followed the instructions(and even this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc7tlPwFQpg ) but could not get the touchpad to work with a usb mouse, no cursor, even though the LED on the optical mouse lit up (showing there is power).
i tried a pen drive also but when I opened ES file manager,could not see anything called MOUNT DRIVE in favourites...where else should I look for usb drive?
I need to get the mouse working first.
I am running CM9 nightly of 2nd DEC 2012 on my HP Touchpad(which is USB OTG ENABLED)

Last edited:

NewbCentral

Oct 22, 2012
Thanks for the guide and easy to follow pics OP. Just one question though, is there a way to test the cable before trying it on my own device? Or do i have to just test each end separately one by one with a multimeter?

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara
Hey guys
Is it possible to use a USB HUB and connect to phone via otg cable and use mouse and keyboard and charge the phone simultaneously?
Is not dangerous for phone?
Guide me please

There will be no problem at all, i use it, connect flash drive, hard drive, mouse and a joystick at the same time :)

redoano

Jun 15, 2008
Ankara
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Nokia-OTG-CA...?pt=IN_Mobile_Accessories&hash=item2c6a772a16

http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-USB-2-0-...7?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item256a8d30a5

http://www.ebay.in/itm/USB-2-0-Fema...8?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item1c2e292b28

Will This combination work's???..

I worried , coz for power supply we needs only black and red wire connected to otg , but here all 4 wire connected to otg

Nokia OTG cables are not Micro B connectors but Micro A. So The OTG cable for N8 will not fit into our sensation or other android phones. You can see the difference between Micro A and Micro B here :
220px-Types-usb_th1.svg.png

I followed the instructions(and even this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc7tlPwFQpg ) but could not get the touchpad to work with a usb mouse, no cursor, even though the LED on the optical mouse lit up (showing there is power).
i tried a pen drive also but when I opened ES file manager,could not see anything called MOUNT DRIVE in favourites...where else should I look for usb drive?
I need to get the mouse working first.
I am running CM9 nightly of 2nd DEC 2012 on my HP Touchpad(which is USB OTG ENABLED)

U can use Chainfire's StickMount app free on playstore to see if your flashdrive is connected. If it shows no drives connected then check your connections, optionally using a multimeter. Check the 4th pin is shorted to 5th one.

Thanks for the guide and easy to follow pics OP. Just one question though, is there a way to test the cable before trying it on my own device? Or do i have to just test each end separately one by one with a multimeter?

If you have a multimeter it will be good to test of course. If you're sure that u coonected all wires without any wrong short circuits there will be no problem, no damage for the phone ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TO MAKE USB OTG CABLE WITH AN EXTERNAL USB POWER SUPPLY for those who cannot find such a cable in their country(like me)

jbyyJmiubNol6B.jpg

You need a kernel with USB OTG support. SebastianFM's kernel, here

The Micro Usb connector has 5 pins inside. In standard data cables that comes with the phone, only 4 pins are used. When the unused pin is connected, the cable becomes an OTG cable.
    micro-usb-B-connector.png

Pin 1 : VCC pin, +5V Power supply, COLOR : RED
    Pin 2 : D-, Data- Signal line, COLOR : WHITE
    Pin 3 : D+, Data+ Signal line, COLOR : GREEN
    Pin 4 : This is the pin which is not used in standard data cables, we will "SHORT" it to pin 5 to make an OTG CABLE
    Pin 5 : GND, Ground Supply

These colors are UNIVERSAL in USB connectors, this means the red is always VCC, black is GND and the other two always perform the same action, unless somebody deliberately connects the colors to different pins :)

Warning : I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE ON ANYTHING. (YOUR PHONE, DATA CABLE, USB CONNECTOR, HOUSE, FERRARI ETC.) IF YOU AVOID ANY SHORT CIRCUITS, AND COMPLETE ALL THE STEPS AS I EXPLAIN THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM. AND THIS TUTORIAL SUPPOSES YOUR PHONE AS AN HTC PYRAMID

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN OTG CABLE, YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH TO DO.. YOU GO TO 2

1 ) THOSE WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE AN OTG CABLE START HERE -THESE STEPS REQUIRE EXPERIENCE ON SOLDERING

What you need:

1)A "MICRO USB B" head. (Can be obtained from an old charger, data cable)
    2)USB A Male to USB A Female Connector : These Connectors
    3)USB Cable (A short one is enough)
    4)A sharp knife,etc.
    5)Soldering Kit
    6)Hot Glue
    7)Tape
    8)Some experience on soldering :)

STEP 1 - The first thing yo need to do is to SLICE two sides of the plastic cover of the micro USB connector, and clean the glue under it. You will need the plastic cover later!
    HAVE A LOOK AT THIS VIDEO TO UNDERSTAND CLEARLY

STEP 2 - Once you reach the pins under the glue, you can get your soldering iron now to start soldering.
    usb_conn_pinout.jpg

Matching cable Colors and Pin NUMBERS AGAIN : 1-RED, 2-WHITE, 3-GREEN, 4-NO CABLE, 5-BLACK

STEP 3 - If you did soldering (or cables are already soldered to pins--if you're using a data cable) now you need to SHORT CIRCUIT the EMPTY PIN (PIN 4) and PIN 5 (Black Cable). You can use a very short piece of cable to do this. NOW YOU HAVE A "MICRO USB B" CONNECTOR WITH OTG SUPPORT.

STEP 4 - After you completed the soldering, and IF you are sure you made no mistakes, apply HOT GLUE. Wait for it to get cold and hard, then cover it with the plastics you sliced before. You can use cheap quick glues to do that. How the connector looks after all depends on your creativity and ability :)

STEP 5 - Cut the cable of the USB A MALE to USB A FEMALE connector at 20-25 cm from the female connector. Now you can connect USB Female A connector, Micro USB B connector, and USB Male A connector :D

STEP 6 - First connect the matching colored wires of USB FEMALE A connector and Micro USB B Connector (red to red-white to white-green to green-black to black). Now you've a working OTG cable, but without an external power connector.

STEP 7 - To connect the "USB A MALE" connector,which will be the external power to the OTG, you only need to connect red and black colored wires of it (the +5V and GND wires) to the matching colors of the other two cables you connected before ("MICRO USB B" and "USB A FEMALE"--The OTG CABLE you've made). If you connect white and green wires of "USB A MALE" connector, YOUR CABLE WILL NOT FUNCTION. DO NOT CONNECT WHITE AND GREEN WIRES OF MALE USB A CONNECTOR.

You can use soldering iron to strenghten the connection between wires. Or you can just use tape. It's up to you. Just be sure that there's no possibility of short circuits.

AGAIN : Be sure that you've made all the steps carefully and correctly, and avoided any short circuits before using your cable. The only short circuit should be the pin 4 and pin 5 of MICRO USB A connector :D

AND YES IT'S DONE, YOU CAN USE YOUR CABLE NOW :p

2 ) THOSE WHO HAVE USB OTG CABLE AND JUST WANT TO CONNECT AN EXTRA USB POWER CONNECTOR--START HERE

You need :
    1)MALE USB A CONNECTOR with 100-120 cm cable -- lenght depends on you, should not be much longer than 2 meters(standard usb connectors) (U can get it from any data cables, old USB mouse cables, controller-joystick cables.. Just cut the cable at 100-120cm from the connector)
    2)Your OTG Cable :)
    3)A Sharp Knife etc.
    4)Tape
    5)Soldering kit (optional--if you want to strenghten the connections of wires)

STEP 1 ) Cut the USB OTG cable in the middle.
    STEP 2 ) You only need red and black colored wires of "MALE USB A" connector, which are +5V and GND.
    STEP 3 ) Connect the matching colors of your OTG cable again, but this time also connect the "MALE USB A" connector's red and black wires to the matching colors. WHITE and GREEN wires of this connector should not be connected. Otherwise the cable WILL NOT FUNCTION.

BE SURE THAT THERE'S NO POSSIBILITY OF SHORT CIRCUITS AND YOU'VE MADE NOTHING WRONG :)

You can also connect SHIELD WIRES of each cable to each other. But i'm not sure what actually it does. If you test it, please post your experiences.

What is Shield Wire:
    USB-cable-wiring.png

The USB cables actually also have "SHIELD WIRE". My 2.5" external LG HDD does not work with the cables without shield wire, but many products should work. Shield wire is the one silver colored wire surrounding the other four colored cables and aluminium foil. It is connected to the outer silver colored parts of the connectors. I'll update this post after testing if shield wire needs to be connected,too. For now i use my cable without it, but my hdd does not work. All others (usb mouse, usb flash drives, joystick, hub, my sony e443 Walkman :D, PS3 Dualshock 3 Controller etc.) work. I don't know if the reason why my hdd does not work is that wire. Will test it by monday and upgrade my post.

My own made cable is attached below, not perfect, but good, working fine :)

Thanks to SebastianFM
    Thanks!!

I couldnot find 2 males to one female usb cable (Y cable) in my country.. This is of course a better choice with no soldering, no tape, just connectors :)

If you avoid ANY short circuits, there's no possibility of damaging your product :good:
    Thanks.
    But are you using external power source that charges the phone simultanously?

Of course yes