People who have switched from another 2013 flagship to the Moto X

Search This thread

gliz5714

Nov 19, 2013
Yes extremely, they're both very user friendly and stable programs. You can actually enable pie controls with gravity box (not on KitKat though), but I prefer the full LMT app for its customization. Here are the links to the respective threads:
LMT: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1330150
Gravity box: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?=2316070

gravity box link isn't working, but thatks for that. I am waiting to get to kitkat before I unlock bootloader and root to get these things, they look really useful. being able to get the extra screen realestate would be amazing!

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
I recently got my Verizon Dev edition device after coming from a note 2 and most recent a S4. I feel so happy being free with a truly unlocked bootloader again and love this device so far. The only down fall to this device that I have seen and specially coming from the S4 is the camera. I have seen camera apps on the play store taking better pics than the stock camera. To me this is a let down since the device is so great. However I knew this to begin with before I bought it and knew I would not have the superior S4 camera anymore but I did not let a camera stop me from making the switch. I just hope Motorola improves on it big time.

kuz142

Feb 3, 2013
gravity box link isn't working, but thatks for that. I am waiting to get to kitkat before I unlock bootloader and root to get these things, they look really useful. being able to get the extra screen realestate would be amazing!

Sorry about that, try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554049

Yeah they're both incredibly useful apps, the on screen buttons were one of my only little annoyances with the X. And the best part is, they only require root, so you don't even have to unlock bootloader if you don't want!

dzendeh

Nov 24, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
My short story: all iPhones until (including) 4s, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 4, HTC One, Nexus 4 and finally Moto X. And I'm loving it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

NJGSII

Nov 15, 2011
Howell, NJ
I came from the HTC One and have to say this phone is amazing. I don't think I can do a phone every again that doesn't have active notifications. Hell, even the dimple on the back is amazing. lol

Agreed.

Came from the HTC One too and the only things I miss about it are the IR, the metal build and the front facing speakers. The screens of each phone have their trade offs. The One's looked slightly better, but on the Moto X the blacks are better represented. The Moto X is a lot easier to hold and with the power button on the side you don't even need to worry about reaching for the top of the phone anyway. Truly the best thing about it thought is the active display. Most of the time on any phone that I have ever owned(from what my sig says, I've had just a few :laugh:) I would take it out the pocket just to check the time if I wasn't wearing a watch. Turning the screen on ramps up the processor. With the active display you don't need to worry about doing that and even if it flashes multiple times it seems to use hardly if any battery. Lastly, with the always listening feature I find myself using the voice controls quite often when at home or in the car. The matter of convenience of its access makes it actually usable.

Overall I'm happy with the Moto X. Heck, the stock rom is pretty good, so no needing to tinker with it much. The only thing that I done to it(and that there pretty much is the only thing that could be done to an AT&T version) is root it so I can use xposed, adblock, titanium backup and better battery stats. I would've shelled out the extra $50 for the dev edition no problem, but it wasn't available with the 2nd Cyber Monday promotion on the 9th. I will be here for the time being until perhaps the next Moto flagship comes out. Cheers!

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
BTW... for folks really missing IR, you can install a global cache iTach, and it will do an even better job of it. You don't need line of sight from your handset, and there are a variety of applications that can communicate with it to control your IR gear, as well as IP controlled stuff.

Using iRule, I control my entire home (lights, A/V, HVAC, alarm) from my Moto x.

omias

Jan 3, 2012
I sold my S4, now I have the moto x and 192 dlls :D

I dont miss the S4.........ok ok, just the camera Options/configs.

icelus1

Apr 29, 2012
Houston
I bricked my Samsung Galaxy S III a couple of weeks ago and had to head down to the Sprint store for a solution. They couldn't fix the GS3, and my old HTC EVO Shift was having issues, so I had to get a new phone. I chose the Moto X, and I have done nothing but love the phone ever since. With my GS3, I felt like I had to root just to get rid of all of the extra crap Samsung puts on their phone. It just tried to do too much that I had no desire to use. With my Moto X, I have no desire to root. I'm so happy with how it runs right out of the box. I'm getting better signals, better bluetooth connectivity, better music playback, faster app performance, etc. And the hands-free voice commands and Active Display are simply awesome.

Minesh711

Mar 22, 2013
BTW... for folks really missing IR, you can install a global cache iTach, and it will do an even better job of it. You don't need line of sight from your handset, and there are a variety of applications that can communicate with it to control your IR gear, as well as IP controlled stuff.

Using iRule, I control my entire home (lights, A/V, HVAC, alarm) from my Moto x.

Woah...I need to learn more

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
Woah...I need to learn more

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iTachs are available on Amazon, in both wireless and wired configuration.

iRule is available in the Play store for free, and they have a free trial... but you'll need a Mac or PC to build your remotes' interface. Plus it will cost you $50 after the trial.

There are less sophisticated apps that don't require a computer, like MBHRemote, also on Play for about ten bucks. iRule has a lot more bells and whistles, but I initially got the job done with MBHRemote.

I have three systems in my home that can be controlled from anywhere using my Moto X, Nexus 7's, and iPod (iOS is also supported), and you can dress up your remotes using iRule supplied graphics or your own.

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Wayne
Came from a Note 3 ! Sold it after 6 months as the size finally got on my nerves.

Love the size and feel of the x, battery is okay and camera... Well it's passable. Love the active display and notifications. Worth the switch

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Reactions: beefgoat

beefgoat

Jul 13, 2011
Chicago
I also came from the Note 3. I bought the GSM Dev Edition. After only a few days, I became disappointed when the Note 3 didn't come to life the moment I picked it up. The screen is good enough, it doesn't lag like my Note 3 did, and it has features I actually use. My wife just switched from an iPhone to the Moto X, and she loves it.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

exekias

Mar 6, 2009
Wellington
www.f5net.nz
Came from Sony Z and it was a good switch. Phone is a great performer. I haven't rooted out anything though. Don't need to.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I came from an lg g2 and have been very happy with the x. First phone I've ever owned where I never felt the need to install a custom ROM for increased performance. Then again, I run art... But still, think the x is THE best 1 handed device money can buy. Just make sure to get one with a soft touch back. Had a plastic one at first but returned it for a soft touch. Feels so much higher end now

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Switched from S4 (i9500). Extremely happy. Do I regret it? No way. Nothing more regrettable thing can be there than owning a phone running TouchWiz on it. Horrendous.

What do I miss? Needless to say the camera (especially the HDR mode) and that gorgeous display somewhat. However every other thing is an upgrade.

Will update on March / April next year, either X+1 or whatever will be there at that time.

bhsvault

Feb 10, 2011
South Bend
I came from an lg g2 and have been very happy with the x. First phone I've ever owned where I never felt the need to install a custom ROM for increased performance. Then again, I run art... But still, think the x is THE best 1 handed device money can buy. Just make sure to get one with a soft touch back. Had a plastic one at first but returned it for a soft touch. Feels so much higher end now

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

May I ask what, if anything you miss about the G2? I just destroyed my G2 and I have a Moto X from eBay on the way. I'm kinda worried that I'm gonna miss a lot about the G2 but I won't know until I start using it as a daily driver.

Snow755

Jan 26, 2012
Sonora
I got the Samsung S5 but swich over two the moto x the S5 I found it was two big all so amhe run when it comes two android are slow update so that's other resin I switch over two moto x moto x has fast updates and all most pure stock android not

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After almost every other phone, Moto X is perfect for me

Like a lot of the advice in this thread, I'd say get the X! I've literally owned (and rooted, ROMed, modded, etc) almost every high end phone in the past few months - iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, Note 2, HTC One, you name it I've had it on my hunt for the perfect phone. I always thought I'd be able to find one with all the things I wanted - 64gb storage or micro sd card slot, great camera, and good battery life. Unfortunately though, nothing fulfilled all of those.

I ended up getting a cheap Moto X, and it's turned out to be the absolute perfect combination of size, design, software, and of course features. Let me put it this way: this is the first phone I've ever had that I actually want to stay with the stock software and not install a ROM. That's how good Motorola's software extras are. The battery life is great, far better than what I'd expected, and it runs fat and smooth. The camera doesn't match up to iPhone standards, but my experience is good enough for a smartphone.

Here's my ideal configuration, which helps with the screen real estate problem: stock, rooted Moto X, debloated if necessary. Xposed framework with gravitybox for extreme customization and ROM-like faetures (everyone should have these if they don't, they're the best mods I've ever come across). LMT launcher app for pie controls (you can swipe in from any side of the screen and have the software buttons there instead of always on screen at the bottom). That's what I've been running daily now, and I couldn't be happier!
    No regrets

I'm really curious to hear from ex Note 2 (and maybe even Note 3) owners. I'm running a 4.4 ROM (beanstalk) on my Note 2 and its running VERY well. But I've played with the Moto X at best buy, and REALLY like it. I don't think performance is an issue or screen quality. But I think I'd miss the pen (even with a custom ROM on the Note 2). And the screen size is something to consider for me because of my aging eyes. I really think Motorola did great with usability with the voice controls and active notifications. And I really like the custom colors although for a person that finds it hard to make decisions in the first place, deciding on the right color combination is quite a chore LOL.

I actually just switched from a Note 3 to the Moto X and I don't even miss the Note 3. Of course everything is subjective, but I absolutely love the Moto X overall more than any specific feature that the Note 3 had.

Here's a post I wrote earlier today. Nothing scientific, just my observations.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2560017
    I came from a G2 and before that a S4. I don't miss the S4 one bit, I do like the G2 like its knock knock feature and its form factor is nice (big yeti hands). But other than that I don't miss either of the phones over the Moto X. I will be ordering a Moto X DE today or on the 9th so my wife can get the Moto X I currently have and I get a DE device. She is currently using the S4 and before that she and I were GNex users. She is liking the S4 but she was instantly drawn to the Moto X the evening I picked it up from the VZW store.

The display on the S4 was nice to me. The G2 is just plain sexy and blew away the S4 IMO. The Moto X screen is nothing to laugh at. I do like the G2 display over the Moto X but not enough to make it a show stopper.

The form factor of the S4 was not bad, the size was not a factor with it, the same with the G2. I did like the G2 over the S4 as it felt not as cheap. The Moto X form factor and build quality puts Samsung and LG to shame. The Moto X feels solid, they went back to their roots on this one. Makes me feel like I got the awesomeness of the Droid 1 and the Droid X and not the joke quality of the Bionic. I am not afraid of the Moto X might break when I hold it like I did the S4.

Speed wise.. The S4 blew my GNex out of the water, very fast and once I put CleanROM, Eclipse, or CM 10.2 on it the slight home stutter of the horrible TouchWiz launcher was gone. The G2 to me made the S4 feel sluggish and just not as spunky as it should be. With the G2 I am pretty much stock of the factory software but I did root it to debloat it and to also use G2 Xposed on it for the proper button placement that I like.
    The Moto X is holding its own and I feel it is able to run against the G2 with everything I do in a days time. It is also able to do the gaming I like with no issues what so ever. Now if you do testing and all that then you will not see any of this based on those numbers. But if you actually use the device you will see it is not an issue.

The camera on the Moto X compared to the S4 is good. Comparing it to the stock camera on the G2 I feel the Moto X beats the hell out of it. Now with the Camera MODs for the G2 that are out then I will say the G2 is better way better. Comparing the Moto X camera to the N4 and I feel the N4 is better. But to be honest if I want a good picture then I will ask my wife to use her DSLR camera and take the picture for me. but for a camera phone it works. My smartphone camera-fu is not as strong as most but I might as well not even enter the race if you want me to talk camera with you. But for a typical user I can take a good picture and it does its job. Compare my camera shots to my wife camera shots using the same hardware and she beats me every time. Her take on the smartphone cameras are they are good for when you need a quick pic here and there but she prefers to take pictures with her DSLR camera over anything else.

You will not miss your phone when you switch to the Moto X. I am loving the near stock of Android on this device and I do like some of the features from Moto like the assist, trusted devices, active notifications, and the Motorola connect which replaced airdroid for me. Motorola is back to doing things right so far with the Moto X. Battery life is great with the Moto X as I am a pretty heavy data user with streaming media, web browsing, XDA, Reddit. I do about 10-60+ minutes of calls a day along with checking multiple gmail/email accounts. Screen is on 2+ hours everyday and I can go a full day on one charge and have just a pinch left over. With the GNex it was only possible with 3 extra batteries or a plug. The S4 could almost last the day but needed some power loving during lunch. The G2 could last till I got into the car and plug it in at the end of the day for me. The Moto X as I stated does last through my work day without the need of a charger near me as long as I don't go over a 12 hour work day with 2-3 hours in the car for driving to and from work. I am going to pick up one of the Moto battery packs as it is slim and doesnt take up a lot of room for those few days I go past 12hours.

Sorry for the wall of text but hope this helps you out.
    Just finished making my moto x and I will be selling my G2 . flagship my @$$. Companies need to pay attention to moto..
    I do hope development picks up after this sale because I can't seem to find much for this phone.

i really think part of the reason there's less development is that the phone is nearly perfect out of the box. I got my dev x before any sales and was looking for any reason to return it and couldn't find any :)