how to root moto g without unlocking bootloader?

Search This thread

raniero1

Jan 26, 2011
ok, and unlocking bootloader can be reverted to locked bootloader for warranty as it was never unlocked? when bootloader is locked theres any difference or alert, like the alter triangle in samsung phones with unlocked bootloader?

g-wh122

Sep 26, 2012
Brighton
When the bootloader is unlocked there is a warning when you boot, but there's a solution published in these forums for how to revert to the normal Motorola boot screen. You can relock the bootloader but it doesn't restore the warranty as Motorola have a list of which phones have been unlocked.

However in Europe unlocking the bootloader does not invalidate your warranty, regardless of what Motorola might say. You also have an automatic 2-year warranty on all purchases.

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)
ok, and unlocking bootloader can be reverted to locked bootloader for warranty as it was never unlocked? when bootloader is locked theres any difference or alert, like the alter triangle in samsung phones with unlocked bootloader?

To unlock Bootloader you have to submit "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" on Motorola's website and you'll get the unlock code. If you do so they have your device in their database. Secondary it is flagged in the device itself if i remember right.

raniero1

Jan 26, 2011
ok but ive just spoken with motorola support in italy, they told me that if the phone had any software modification they wont provide anymore warranty

I know that to unlock sony phone you have to get from their website also a code, but that dont get you warranty off, in italy ive sent the phone in assistance and they didnt even check that database

anyway i hope there will be a way to root without losing warranty in near future, like for samsung flashing prerooted stock firmware

i just want root to restore data from a titanium backup for 1 app from my previous android phone, nothing more

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)
ok but ive just spoken with motorola support in italy, they told me that if the phone had any software modification they wont provide anymore warranty

I'm not sure with this, but i think, in Europe you'll have full warrenty anyway on the Hardware as long as you did not destroy it by a software failure. So for e.g. if you unlock Bootloader only and your screen will be dead later which is not caused by a software modification you'll have full warrenty on the Hardware. But if it comes hard, it might be difficult to deliver a proper proof to Motorola that it is a manufacturers fault.

raniero1

Jan 26, 2011
This is the chat i had right now with motorola germany

Ben: Hallo, mein Name ist Ben. Wie kann ich Ihnen helfen?
me: Hello, can i just ask you a question in english?
Ben: Sure, how can I help?
me: Thank you very much, i just would like to know if phone unlocking, about moto g, void warranty
me: With phone unlocking i mean bootload unlocking
Ben: Yes, this will void the warranty.
me: Ok thank you ben
me: goodbye
Ben: You are very welcome, bye for now.

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)
This is also written in their licence Agreement. I doubt that it is applicable to EU law in this way. But as i said i don't know for sure, I'm not a lawyer. They can write and say a lot if the day is long and of course they will not give you any legal advice which will be against their own terms.. If you ask them they will always answer what they want. Terms can sometimes be futile. Maybe you can ask in a lawyers Forum. Many more will be interested in that :)

EDIT: In Germany you have the Terms Gewährleistung und Garantie. It can be that the Gewährleistung will be lost because it is voluntary given to you by the vendor. But with my above mentioned Situation the Garantie will be still applicable as in aboves case, at least in Germany. But as i said I don't know for sure. This is what i read in the last weeks about this.

NOT SURE IF IT IS REALLY LIKE THAT!!!

EDIT: If you can understand German you might read this. Maybe I'll find this also in English.

EDIT: Several Laguages:
Directive 1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999 on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees

Last edited:

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I have unlocked the bootloader and if a hardware fault occured I would ask Motorola to fix it, if they said no as my warranty is void (and refuse to fix it whatever I say) my only option is to then take to them court. Am I going to do that over a £160 phone - no Im not, I'll just buy a new phone as taking Motorola to court isnt something I fancy doing ;)

I guess there may be other options, eg some sort of civil rights organization which helps with warranty issues which may or may not cost money, but even if its free its still going to cost a lot of my time.

I think if you unlock the bootloader you really want to acknowledge that the chances are that Motorola wont be fixing your phone, whether thats lawfully right or wrong may not be worth your time and money arguing over.

Personally I wouldnt blame Motorola for telling me that made my choice and now to live with it.

What I do think is a shame is that they dont officially release the stock images of the moto g as they do with their dev editions of some phones. After all that may remove a lot of support calls they get (and then refuse) from people that have screwed up their moto g's by unlocking and rooting etc.

TotalD3str4ct

Oct 30, 2010
I have unlocked the bootloader and if a hardware fault occured I would ask Motorola to fix it, if they said no as my warranty is void (and refuse to fix it whatever I say) my only option is to then take to them court. Am I going to do that over a £160 phone - no Im not, I'll just buy a new phone as taking Motorola to court isnt something I fancy doing ;)

Did you buy the phone from Motorola directly? Probably no.
Amazon, Tesco, Phones4you etc...
The warranty contract which is provided by EU law is not between you and the manufacturer (Motorola), but between you and the seller.
So if you have a hardware fault, you send/take the phone back to the seller. It's true that If they don't replace it right away, they'll probably send it to Motorola for repair anyways, and Motorola can say that your warranty is void.
But in this article this article they say:
"In case the seller refuses your right to repair or replace the device, you can sue him in a civil litigation and can report the incident to the national authority. In many European countries such action does not even require hiring a lawyer and is most of the time ensured by consumers associations."

Reactions: balajiasmartguy

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for the info, its obvious to me now that I'd go to phones4u - just as I would return any faulty appliance to the seller. It would be interesting to see what happened if I ever had to do that, but i hope I don't have to.

Reactions: balajiasmartguy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Did you buy the phone from Motorola directly? Probably no.
    Amazon, Tesco, Phones4you etc...
    The warranty contract which is provided by EU law is not between you and the manufacturer (Motorola), but between you and the seller.
    So if you have a hardware fault, you send/take the phone back to the seller. It's true that If they don't replace it right away, they'll probably send it to Motorola for repair anyways, and Motorola can say that your warranty is void.
    But in this article this article they say:
    "In case the seller refuses your right to repair or replace the device, you can sue him in a civil litigation and can report the incident to the national authority. In many European countries such action does not even require hiring a lawyer and is most of the time ensured by consumers associations."
    Thanks for the info, its obvious to me now that I'd go to phones4u - just as I would return any faulty appliance to the seller. It would be interesting to see what happened if I ever had to do that, but i hope I don't have to.
    can we install cwm by this method ( http://motorola-g.blogspot.in/2013/12/how-to-install-cwmtwrp-custom-recovery.html?m=1 )without unlocking? if possible we can install pre rooted roms by cwm. am a noobie... guide me pls

You can't. Atm it's not possible root moto g without unlock bl. There are not other ways for now.

Without unlock bootloader you can not boot or flash a custom recovery on moto g. It is not possible in our case. Again.
    For root on g you need:
    unlock bootloader,
    custom recovery.
    If you don't unlock bootloader forget root.