[Q] Sprint Galaxy Note 3 rooted, unable to tether.

Search This thread

Phantom_499

Feb 5, 2014
Hello all,

I will confess that I am an absolute noob. I have had my Sprint Galaxy Note 3 since November last year. I finally decided to go ahead and root my phone so that I could use the tether feature. I also like the idea of having control of my own device. I have been reading and reading, and reading on the forum and referencing information from a copy of the Android Hacker's Toolkit by Mr. Jason Tyler and Will Verduzco.. and I'm confused. The information is great however the vast majority of it is over my head.

I have used Chainfire's method for rooting my phone and have installed TWRP for the recovery, and have made a back-up. I have tried installing and using WiFi Tether by TopAppLoft and several other applications from Google Play. I am unable to get the wireless router to work.

What could I try in order to be able to use the WiFi router without having to pay the extra $ to Sprint?

Thank you in advance for any information anyone can provide

snowride20

Mar 9, 2011
Galveston, TX
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2614185

Go here then to general mods and you will find the hotspot mod that allows you to use the native hotspot that comes on the phone. Sorry you have had so many views and no help. Any more questions ask here or you can pm me and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Just realized the download link is broken. You can ask the developer if he could send it to you via pm or micmars may be able to help you get it. You could also try one of the many roms in the development section. I Believe most if not all have it incorporated.

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
If you're trying other tether apps and can't get them to work I will guess you have windows 8 and windows blocked being able to see adhoc ..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Reactions: Phantom_499

Phantom_499

Feb 5, 2014

Go here then to general mods and you will find the hotspot mod that allows you to use the native hotspot that comes on the phone. Sorry you have had so many views and no help. Any more questions ask here or you can pm me and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Just realized the download link is broken. You can ask the developer if he could send it to you via pm or micmars may be able to help you get it. You could also try one of the many roms in the development section. I Believe most if not all have it incorporated.

Thank you sir! I took a peek and the Odexed Blue ROM looks like a pretty cool ROM. Once I flash the ROM if I want to go back to what I originally had I can just use the Reboot Recovery command through Goomanager? I created a nandroid back-up file through Goomanager of the current configuration on my phone.

It will be a few days before I can get back home and flash a ROM but thanks again and I will let you know how it goes. :good:

Reactions: snowride20

snowride20

Mar 9, 2011
Galveston, TX
Thank you sir! I took a peek and the Odexed Blue ROM looks like a pretty cool ROM. Once I flash the ROM if I want to go back to what I originally had I can just use the Reboot Recovery command through Goomanager? I created a nandroid back-up file through Goomanager of the current configuration on my phone.

It will be a few days before I can get back home and flash a ROM but thanks again and I will let you know how it goes. :good:

I honestly only used goomanager a few times and never made a backup with it. I use twrp for backups and flashing as I believe most others in this forum do as well. I would consider making a backup through recovery unless someone can tell you otherwise. All the roms should have the 4 in 1 power menu and you can access recovery through there. The two easiest ways to go back if you were unhappy with a rom would be to restore a backup through recovery or Odin back to stock. However I think you will be very happy with strongsteve and his odex blue rom. I have used his rom since he released it and it really is flawless and very appealing to the eye. Good luck. Let us know if you need help.

Phantom_499

Feb 5, 2014
Update on Flashing a ROM

I honestly only used goomanager a few times and never made a backup with it. I use twrp for backups and flashing as I believe most others in this forum do as well. I would consider making a backup through recovery unless someone can tell you otherwise. All the roms should have the 4 in 1 power menu and you can access recovery through there. The two easiest ways to go back if you were unhappy with a rom would be to restore a backup through recovery or Odin back to stock. However I think you will be very happy with strongsteve and his odex blue rom. I have used his rom since he released it and it really is flawless and very appealing to the eye. Good luck. Let us know if you need help.

Sir,

I selected Bonsai_BETA_v0.0.5 - 01.14.2014 as my new ROM to flash as it lists the native hotspot mod as one of the things it has included. I was unable to figure out how to install OdexBlue through Odin version 1.85 (this was Chainfire's autoroot application) and I was unable to locate OdexBlue through Goomanager. I made sure to do a nandroid back up and did a complete wipe as I installed Bonsai through Goomanager. I successfully flashed it however I do not know how to get the Native Hotspot feature to work without it telling me to "Call Sprint Customer Service" to activate it. Not sure what I should try at this point. Perhaps try another ROM or seek out the Native Hotspot mod from Mr. Micmars?

snowride20

Mar 9, 2011
Galveston, TX
If you want odex blue download it from the rom thread to your PC then put it on your sd card. For some reason my phone will not download the odex blue roms. No need to use goomanager to download roms, you will find the download link in the original post where you find the rom description. Once it is on your sd card reboot to recovery, make a backup in recovery, wipe system, data, cache, and dalvic cache. Now from the main menu of recovery go to install, find the rom and install it. Reboot and it should work fine. These are the basic instructions for most roms but always read the developers instructions as some are slightly different. I'm guessing you may not have wiped system, data, and cache which may not allow you to use the hotspot mod. Report back with your results.

Phantom_499

Feb 5, 2014
Eureaka!! IT WORKS!!!

If you want odex blue download it from the rom thread to your PC then put it on your sd card. For some reason my phone will not download the odex blue roms. No need to use goomanager to download roms, you will find the download link in the original post where you find the rom description. Once it is on your sd card reboot to recovery, make a backup in recovery, wipe system, data, cache, and dalvic cache. Now from the main menu of recovery go to install, find the rom and install it. Reboot and it should work fine. These are the basic instructions for most roms but always read the developers instructions as some are slightly different. I'm guessing you may not have wiped system, data, and cache which may not allow you to use the hotspot mod. Report back with your results.

IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!! I downloaded odexblue and moved it over into the goo manager download directory. I then did a wipe and I installed it through goomanager. I'm connected now through my hot spot as I type to you. Thanks again for your guidance and patience with this noob!! :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Eureaka!! IT WORKS!!!

IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!! I downloaded odexblue and moved it over into the goo manager download directory. I then did a wipe and I installed it through goomanager. I'm connected now through my hot spot as I type to you. Thanks again for your guidance and patience with this noob!! :cool:
    If you're trying other tether apps and can't get them to work I will guess you have windows 8 and windows blocked being able to see adhoc ..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Glad it worked.