[Q] hidden files taking up all my space

Search This thread

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York
So the past few weeks has been my first experience with safe strap and everything.I have been using only the Hyperdrive rom. After having some issues with the RS14 update, i had to delete the rom slot and make a new one. Ive noticed that i have a ton of hidden files, because i have almost no space left on the internal storage. anybody have any ideas on how to find and delete these files? I would also like to know what you guys set the slot as, as far as given space. this is the only rom im going to be using so i want to maximize my space.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So the past few weeks has been my first experience with safe strap and everything.I have been using only the Hyperdrive rom. After having some issues with the RS14 update, i had to delete the rom slot and make a new one. Ive noticed that i have a ton of hidden files, because i have almost no space left on the internal storage. anybody have any ideas on how to find and delete these files? I would also like to know what you guys set the slot as, as far as given space. this is the only rom im going to be using so i want to maximize my space.

If you do format sdcard that should clear up space (factory reset will not clear them). For the space, Safestrap use the internal storage only, so the O/S, boot etc i would need about 900meg, and the data partition is depended on how many apps you planned to install, let say you assign 1gig for data then the total you need is approx 2gb, if you think you're going to have more apps then assign 2.5 or 3..it's all up to you.

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York
If you do format sdcard that should clear up space (factory reset will not clear them). For the space, Safestrap use the internal storage only, so the O/S, boot etc i would need about 900meg, and the data partition is depended on how many apps you planned to install, let say you assign 1gig for data then the total you need is approx 2gb, if you think you're going to have more apps then assign 2.5 or 3..it's all up to you.

the hidden files are in the internal storage, not my sd card.

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York

i might just have to do a factory data reset, and start from scratch and reroot and start over. I really dont want to have to do that though

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
even though the issue isn't in the ext sd card?

I don't think you understand the misc files are hidden, there no way you can delete them. When you boot into recovery, do the following:
wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, wipe system and format sdcard. Format sdcard is formatting your INTERNAL space, not your external sdcard. After done reflash rom.

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York
I don't think you understand the misc files are hidden, there no way you can delete them. When you boot into recovery, do the following:
wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, wipe system and format sdcard. Format sdcard is formatting your INTERNAL space, not your external sdcard. After done reflash rom.

When i hit wipe on safe strap, is it the format data button, or a full advanced wipe? sorry im asking so many questions, still really new to safestrap.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
When i hit wipe on safe strap, is it the format data button, or a full advanced wipe? sorry im asking so many questions, still really new to safestrap.

Hey, just want to make sure we're on the same page. A 16gb Galaxy S4 only has 6gb available as stock phone. If you assigned 3gb for safestrap, then you should only have 3gb left for storage. So my question is the junk files are on the new rom (3gb safestrap) or from the original O/S? I don't believe safestrap offers the option to "format internal SDcard". If you want to continue to use safestrap, you should be on top of the storage space. Since I don't know all the junks are from, but I suggest you should start clean; Uninstall safestrap, Odin your phone back to stock ROM using PIT file. Now you should have a super clean phone. Record your storage space to see what's the total space, how much in used and how much free. At this point you should also take a look at app to SD, where all the new apps will be install to your external SDcard instead. From now on after you flash new rom or install safestrap, you should check your storage to have an idea what used up the space.

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York
Hey, just want to make sure we're on the same page. A 16gb Galaxy S4 only has 6gb available as stock phone. If you assigned 3gb for safestrap, then you should only have 3gb left for storage. So my question is the junk files are on the new rom (3gb safestrap) or from the original O/S? I don't believe safestrap offers the option to "format internal SDcard". If you want to continue to use safestrap, you should be on top of the storage space. Since I don't know all the junks are from, but I suggest you should start clean; Uninstall safestrap, Odin your phone back to stock ROM using PIT file. Now you should have a super clean phone. Record your storage space to see what's the total space, how much in used and how much free. At this point you should also take a look at app to SD, where all the new apps will be install to your external SDcard instead. From now on after you flash new rom or install safestrap, you should check your storage to have an idea what used up the space.
Looks like thats what im going to have to do. Glad i still have bootcamp to use odin, because i didnt use odin, i used safe root. Think it will be the same process?

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

Why are you assuming that it's "hidden files"? It's probably just the bloated stock ROM.

A 16Gb GS4 with just the factory stuff will have at best 8Gb available - the OS and standard applications all use up that internal memory space.
(Just /system alone is 4.2 Gb on my phone, for example. Then there's the /data stuff, including the dalvik cache, etc.)

Re-flashing a full wipe ROM will maximize the available space, but it's never going to have 16 Gb free on a 16 Gb phone.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Looks like thats what im going to have to do. Glad i still have bootcamp to use odin, because i didnt use odin, i used safe root. Think it will be the same process?

If you have a Mac, you can use Heimdall to flash ROMs, including factory stock.

m4gkman

Apr 5, 2011
New York
Why are you assuming that it's "hidden files"? It's probably just the bloated stock ROM.

A 16Gb GS4 with just the factory stuff will have at best 8Gb available - the OS and standard applications all use up that internal memory space.
(Just /system alone is 4.2 Gb on my phone, for example. Then there's the /data stuff, including the dalvik cache, etc.)

Re-flashing a full wipe ROM will maximize the available space, but it's never going to have 16 Gb free on a 16 Gb phone.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

If you have a Mac, you can use Heimdall to flash ROMs, including factory stock.

1) because everytime i clear a rom slot and make a new one in safe strap, i get less and less space. if you look at the images in the links i put up, you can see that there is a lot of Misc files in the system folder, and none of them can be seen. and it shows that even on the hyperdrive rom.
3) heimdall doesn't work for some reason on my computer, and because im on 4.3 already, i have to use safe strap and cant just flash roms

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
1) because everytime i clear a rom slot and make a new one in safe strap, i get less and less space. if you look at the images in the links i put up, you can see that there is a lot of Misc files in the system folder, and none of them can be seen. and it shows that even on the hyperdrive rom.
3) heimdall doesn't work for some reason on my computer, and because im on 4.3 already, i have to use safe strap and cant just flash roms

I don't think this is a case of "Hidden files" - possibly something getting left behind after removing a Safestrap slot, but that's not proven.

You should install a program like "Disk Usage" from the play store. That will tell you where the space is being consumed on your internal storage. The "Miscellaneous files" entry doesn't give you the detail that you need to diagnose this.

I can't help you with Heimdall without knowing why it doesn't work.

Top Liked Posts