MortPlayer

Search This thread

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Just to let you know, there's a beta of MortPlayer in the Android Market ("MortPlayer Music (beta)").

Don't expect it to be the 50" thick swiss army knife MortPlayer for WM became.
Some features still need to be added (sleep timer, caching database, ...), but mostly I want to keep it simple to use.
So, what you get with "MortPlayer Music" is a simple, folder based player. No "favorites", just a selectable main folder. No playlist support, because that just caused confusion about the current mode and when to save. (However, there might come support for existing playlist files that determine the order of files in the same folder.) No special audio book support - but I plan to offer a separate "MortPlayer Audio Books", which of course will have it's own main directory.

What it does offer so far:
- Simple folder based navigation with folder skip buttons and hierarchical selection (tap cover)
- Selection of current track (tap track information, you can switch folder from there as well)
- Supports all common album art storages: ID3 (currently buggy), cover.jpg, folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg
- Shuffle and repeat modes as known from WM version
- Restores previously selected track
- Widgets (Cover = play/pause, track information = "remote control" popup)

What's planned:
- Cache directory structure and tag data in database (except covers, don't want to clutter the device storage...)
- Show tag data in track list
- Some eye candy (e.g. animations, background images)
- "As next track" option in track list
- Sleep timer, maybe alarm clock
- Audio book version (separate app)
- Version history dialog
- PayPal button in Help/About
- Different main screens (selection or skinning, let's see what's possible...)

What won't be implemented (soon):
- Equalizer, effects, other formats. I use Android's playback methods, and Android doesn't offer them...
- Streaming. Maybe some time as separate app, but I think there are already better solutions for that.

Maybe, some day:
- Playlist support (read only, only for files in same folder)
- Temporary folder selection (play some folder(s) not in main directory, don't save/cache anything for it)
- Tag based navigation
- Search function
- Playlist version (similar to MortPlayer for WM in playlist mode)

ssbfalcon

Sep 29, 2009
New York
It looks nice so far, particularly the ability to have it only read from one folder and not grab every audio file on your sdcard like the standard player... (wasn't able to try with audio yet... Left my headset home and I'm at work)

Question though... does it support crossfading or gapless audio?

No other media player I've seen in android does... I'm just starting android programming so I haven't gone through the SDK all that much so I can't see why this might be...

Last edited:

discine

Dec 12, 2009
Its a very good idea, to make a good player for android with a good features list.

I hope it will be sucessfull.

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Question though... does it support crossfading or gapless audio?
No, afaik the SDK doesn't allow that (at least didn't find something). (OK, maybe I could start a 2nd MediaPlayer instance shortly before track ends... but I think that'd be pretty hard to time correctly...)
But the gaps are pretty small, at least on my Milestone. I had some intro / song follow-ups where I barely noticed the track change.

discine said:
Its a very good idea, to make a good player for android with a good features list.
I try to focus a bit more on usability than on features for this one. The WM version became "a bit" bloated and complicated over time...

Last edited:

the_fish

May 12, 2008
Yet another "New MusicPlayer?" suggestion

Hey Mort!
i really love the idea of a new music player for android (finally someone did it :))
however what i (and i guess a big part of the community) prefers is a player with a library like the default android player. I'm NOT telling you to change something on MortPlayer, i am just suggesting that a nice new app would be a MusicPlayer that has:
- Nice library with SIMPLE listview, not extended listview as in default music player
- Tabs instead of those buttons for Artist, Album, etc.
- Backgroundservice that prohibits the player from being crashed when running in the background
- Theme Support(?)
- Widget / maybe even LockScreen plugin? (dunno if that is doable)

just suggesting.... not telling you you have to do this :) but everyone would appreciate it, as the amount of 3rd party players is in my opinion. Either they are slow, or totally overloaded with features, buggy, or incompatible...

P.S.: Shouldn't be too hard as Android has a MediaService that recognizes and puts the whole Music in a library, so all you would have to do is an interface for that service.

sthoeft

Aug 12, 2007
just wanted to say THANK YOU for bringing my favorite Audioplayer at Win Mobile to Android too. I really loved MortPlayer for Win Mobile and I'm shure that I will also love Mort Player for Android. Please do also a decent Audiobookplayer because the players availible aren't even worth to mention.

Branwen

May 11, 2009
London
Like the remote pop-up. So far looks quite good.
Would like it to maintain functionality first- coverflow etc. will be nice, but keep it usable first :)

archboy69

Jul 21, 2008
Thank you for dev this. Android still needs a good media player that is simple and still nice to use and look at. I was using Meridan player which was fine but just kind of boring. This on the other hand is nice from what I seen/use so far. It shows that you can make app easy to use and still pretty to look at!

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
however what i (and i guess a big part of the community) prefers is a player with a library like the default android player.
Sorry, don't think this will be anytime soon. IMHO there are enough alternatives for that, even the new one from Androi 2.1 probably would too soon become a reasonable alternative.

- Nice library with SIMPLE listview, not extended listview as in default music player
What's wrong with extended listviews? It's not harder to select an item and saves space. I was thinking about it myself.

- Tabs instead of those buttons for Artist, Album, etc.
If I add tags browsing, of course this will be the case.

- Backgroundservice that prohibits the player from being crashed when running in the background
If the player window isn't visible, only the background service is running. If Android decides to kill the service, there's not much to stop it from doing so - with all bad side effects. All I can do is restart the service when it's required...

Pretty hard to do while maintaining flexible adjustment to different screen sizes. I was thinking about some selectable themes (i.e. colors, button styles, etc.) and layouts (i.e. where is what) and selectable background images in a later version, but of course that's not even close to skinning...

Widget / maybe even LockScreen plugin? (dunno if that is doable)
Widget's there. I think there's some tool to add a Widget to the LockScreen, but I don't think that's a good idea anyway. Just imagine you start the player accidentally in office...

P.S.: Shouldn't be too hard as Android has a MediaService that recognizes and puts the whole Music in a library, so all you would have to do is an interface for that service.
Yeah, I know that service. It sucks (imho). It seems pure luck when it detects new files, has several bugs in tag reading (some of my files were shown with weird chinese texts), doesn't offer a quick and easy way to get the tags to a given file, ... That's why I use own ID3 and database routines.

Please do also a decent Audiobookplayer because the players availible aren't even worth to mention.
As told, it's planned. However, I can only support encodings Android supports, so no Audible and the like... :(

Would like it to maintain functionality first- coverflow etc. will be nice, but keep it usable first :)
Think so myself. ;)

It shows that you can make app easy to use and still pretty to look at!
I guess nobody would've said that about the WM version... :D
Well, it's a better system and learned from some errors in the past...

Attached is a preview of the next update. It contains quite some changes (database, sleep timer, headset support, some bugfixes, ...), so it'd be nice if it's a bit tested before I upload a worse than current version to Market...

Attachments

• MortPlayerMusic.zip
    146.5 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: Wake'Up Bobo

rickylcp

Thx Mort for the great effort again!
I used Mort Player in wm for long time and it works like a charm!!!
And now u are contributing to Android. You are always the best dev i met!!!

Little suggestion, are A2DP and AVRCP possible in ur masterpiece?

Once again, thx and YOU ARE TE MAN!!!!!

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Little suggestion, are A2DP and AVRCP possible in ur masterpiece?
Of course. A2DP is done by Android anyway, and AVRCP handling is quite easy (once you discovered MEDIA_BUTTON means all media related buttons...). I wish it was half as easy and stable with WM...
However, on HTC hero you need "headset button enabler" (in Market) because it doesn't send the correct "intents".

Update: New update available in Market.

Last edited:

alapapa

Dec 18, 2007
5*'s

<3

thx for your work

EDIT: I found what seems to me like a bug (or at least an unexpected feature...). If I touch the widget it brings up the remote control pane and functions properly on my G1 (cm4.2.13). If i touch "Show main player" it does. From here, if I hit the home button, the next time I touch the widget, I get the Main intent instead of the remote. If I hit the "back" button from the Main player, the widget again shows the remote control pane as expected.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
EDIT: I found what seems to me like a bug (or at least an unexpected feature...). If I touch the widget it brings up the remote control pane and functions properly on my G1 (cm4.2.13). If i touch "Show main player" it does. From here, if I hit the home button, the next time I touch the widget, I get the Main intent instead of the remote. If I hit the "back" button from the Main player, the widget again shows the remote control pane as expected.
I know, but I didn't find any workaround to this weird Android behaviour.
Main trouble is Android's Activity handling. An "Activity" is similar to what you'd call window or dialog in Windows. In Android, only one activity is running per app, i.e. if you move from main screen to folder selection, the main screen activity is stopped, and then restarted when you return. Exactly the same happens when you move to the home screen, get a call, open a notification, etc. Only exception is the back button, where the activity is "finalized" (similar to a "real close", but still cached for reuse).
It seems Android doesn't like to start a new activity (the remote screen) when another one of the same app is still running.
I could "finalize" the player at other events as well, but the only ones invoked when pressing the Home button are the same as when you enter e.g. folder selection. So if I'd finalize the main view there, returning from folder selection would return to a no more existing activity, i.e. the app isn't visible anymore. Not exactly what you'd want...

Sorry for the long technical explanation, but I it's a bit hard to put Android's handling in better words... :eek:

guags99

Apr 6, 2008
Just glad to see you've moved over to Android! I used your player for a long time when I was on WM, but I have to say it was getting more complex than I needed. I would like to see many of the features your working on, but stability and simplicity are much more important. Album art seems to plague the players I've worked with, so if you can reliably handle all the methods you mentioned, that would be great...The only one that seems to be a problem for me is the ID3 embedded art.

Keep up the great work!

alapapa

Dec 18, 2007
I know, but I didn't find any workaround to this weird Android behaviour.
Main trouble is Android's Activity handling. An "Activity" is similar to what you'd call window or dialog in Windows. In Android, only one activity is running per app, i.e. if you move from main screen to folder selection, the main screen activity is stopped, and then restarted when you return. Exactly the same happens when you move to the home screen, get a call, open a notification, etc. Only exception is the back button, where the activity is "finalized" (similar to a "real close", but still cached for reuse).
It seems Android doesn't like to start a new activity (the remote screen) when another one of the same app is still running.
I could "finalize" the player at other events as well, but the only ones invoked when pressing the Home button are the same as when you enter e.g. folder selection. So if I'd finalize the main view there, returning from folder selection would return to a no more existing activity, i.e. the app isn't visible anymore. Not exactly what you'd want...

Sorry for the long technical explanation, but I it's a bit hard to put Android's handling in better words... :eek:

makes sense, I figured it has something to do with Activity handling.

Thank you for the technical response. I really appreciate it.

Hrm..perhaps this is why Stericson uses AndExplorer for file selection in MetaMorph (or maybe he just didn't feel like / hasn't gotten around to writing a file picker...)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to let you know, there's a beta of MortPlayer in the Android Market ("MortPlayer Music (beta)").

Don't expect it to be the 50" thick swiss army knife MortPlayer for WM became.
    Some features still need to be added (sleep timer, caching database, ...), but mostly I want to keep it simple to use.
    So, what you get with "MortPlayer Music" is a simple, folder based player. No "favorites", just a selectable main folder. No playlist support, because that just caused confusion about the current mode and when to save. (However, there might come support for existing playlist files that determine the order of files in the same folder.) No special audio book support - but I plan to offer a separate "MortPlayer Audio Books", which of course will have it's own main directory.

What it does offer so far:
    - Simple folder based navigation with folder skip buttons and hierarchical selection (tap cover)
    - Selection of current track (tap track information, you can switch folder from there as well)
    - Supports all common album art storages: ID3 (currently buggy), cover.jpg, folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg
    - Shuffle and repeat modes as known from WM version
    - Restores previously selected track
    - Widgets (Cover = play/pause, track information = "remote control" popup)

What's planned:
    - Cache directory structure and tag data in database (except covers, don't want to clutter the device storage...)
    - Show tag data in track list
    - Some eye candy (e.g. animations, background images)
    - "As next track" option in track list
    - Sleep timer, maybe alarm clock
    - Audio book version (separate app)
    - Version history dialog
    - PayPal button in Help/About
    - Different main screens (selection or skinning, let's see what's possible...)

What won't be implemented (soon):
    - Equalizer, effects, other formats. I use Android's playback methods, and Android doesn't offer them...
    - Streaming. Maybe some time as separate app, but I think there are already better solutions for that.

Maybe, some day:
    - Playlist support (read only, only for files in same folder)
    - Temporary folder selection (play some folder(s) not in main directory, don't save/cache anything for it)
    - Tag based navigation
    - Search function
    - Playlist version (similar to MortPlayer for WM in playlist mode)
    Update again... There's been a file lurking around which should've been deleted for quite a while and which caused some display bugs on Android 3.0+. With older systems, you probably won't notice a difference to the previous test version.
    After quite a while, finally a new update for the test version.
    Changes:
    - New handling of notifications (now constantly visible during play/pause, title ticker is optional, with Android 3.0+ additional configurable button)
    - Update to ActionBarSherlock 4.1.0 (might fix some problems with "older" Android versions)
    - Alarm clock initialization modified, so there's no update query even if set in preferences, and it shouldn't be able to be interrupted by other (system) apps (something on my ROM stopped the alarm screen right after it's been started...)
    - Search and configuration of menu entries adjusted to new Action Bar handling
    - Several bugfixes
    Another update, this time with slighty updated widgets. The player update only has some minor bugfixes.
    An annoying issue though, sound is skipping a bit, like 1 time every 15mn. Is there any buffer value I can change somewhere, be it in a config file? I'm on GB 2.3.4 if that can be of any help.
    Sadly, there's nothing to configure. The player just uses the routines of the device, and Android's got no interface for settings like that. (Hell, it took until 2.3 until there finally was an interface for an equalizer...)
    It seems like Samsung has "optimized" the "half-standby" (i.e., screen's off, but something's still working) mode a bit too much: the reduced CPU performance doesn't seem to be fast enough for music playback, esp. when the equalizer's enabled. This could only be fixed with an update from Samsung or a custom ROM.

Customization is fantastic, the only thing I wanted to change that is missing would be an option to show track tittle in notification (flash on track skipping) instead of album name.
    Actually, it should've been that way, I just accidently messed it up and didn't even notice... :eek:
    Will be fixed in the upcoming update (I hope to get it ready this week).

I've sent this to your site. Any chance for color in icon.
    There already is a bit, if you look closely. ;)
    I don't think I'll add much more. Firstly, the icon appears "goofy" to some users as is - it probably be worse with more color. I also like to keep at least some of the simple style of the b/w drawing it origins from. (If you've bought the donate app and press "thank you" in the info dialog, you'll see it...)

The Newest Mort Player for Audio Books Update Crashes on My Toshiba THRiVE Tablet when I go to Menu > Configure > Preferences *CRASH*
    Strange, I can't reproduce this on any of my devices... Which Android version's on that tablet?
    Crash reports are sometimes a bit troublesome, some of them basicly cook down to "something went wrong in Android", not giving even the slightest clue what has caused which problem.

And it still doesn't see my artwork, where Google Music and Player Pro both do.
    Hard to tell what's wrong... Usually, it's one of those:
    - the artwork's in an invalid format that somehow works anyway with Android's media scanner (e.g. it handles "synchronized" ID3 tags wrong - but so do some taggers...)
    - the artwork's been saved directly to Android's media library (some cover download tools do this). In theory, I could let the player search for it there as well, but since I don't use the library otherwise and there's no better interface, I'd have to iterate through all files in the media library until the current one's found - this sometimes takes ages...
    - the artwork's too big. Currently, there's a 512kB limit to avoid memory troubles resp. a 128kB limit for the (luckily pretty rare) "synchronized" ID3 tag format, because it's painfully slow to parse.