Gear Live Stock Firmware Image - 24JUL14 & Bootable Root ADB image

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Hi guys, I just managed to pull the stock firmware image off the Sprat, with the assistance of @Dees_Troy. We've been working on this for a few days. Lots of highs and lots of lows. Lots of hardware glitches, device overheating, reading kernel logs to troubleshoot problems... And you know what? All of it could have been avoided if Samsung had released a stock image.

Without any further ado, though, you can find a factory image for this device here: https://builds.casual-dev.com/index.php?dir=random/sprat/

Here is the first custom kernel created for this device. It's mostly dees troy's work, he compiled it and made it operate, but I had to reimage it a few times to make it operate properly. If you absolutely need root for checking something out right now, you can fastboot boot this image and get it.

If you'd like to pull your OWN firwmare including the EFS(serial info) for the device, you can use this command in adb root shell after booting the above image.
Code:
cd /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name;
f=`ls`;
for f in $x; 
do 
dd if=$f of=/data/local/tmp/$f.img; 
done;
rm /data/local/tmp/userdata.img
exit;
adb pull /data/local/tmp/
the contents of the entire device will come to your computer

now clean up the temp folder.
Code:
adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/*

You now have the firmware above + EFS data.

[rant]
I mean seriously.. Samsung, WTF? I've been working on this for 5 straight days now.

Why did I have to go through the process of keeping this Quad-core watch cool while i tinkered with UART, and continuously rebooted it?
OTeQiDs2uivPlLbeAKTfZ1a-mu8wXVcN9qIbq6ogiCtI=w1439-h814-no

Why did I have to wade knee deep in your kernel problems to get this done?
7KTVihnZ2jSUXa71U0V30mK_XCijExR6eRxxdoC6qonm=w1439-h814-no

Is it becoming apparent that Samsung doesn't want people messing with their "open devices"? I mean, I can think of no other reason they haven't released a stock image for a device which can be destroyed with a bad flash.
[/rant]

Either way, we finally have a stock image and that means Dees_Troy can release a TWRP, ROM devs can begin working with the system, and those in need of stock firmware now have access to it. Pretty good news if you ask me.

RngrYogi

Sep 6, 2009
South Carolina
Nubia Red Magic 7
Thank you Adam and I suppose I can speak for every Live owner here when I say we really do appreciate it. I can't wait to start tinkering with it and lets hope we can get that WatchFace API soon. I'm dying for a more sophisticated looking face with a more blue and silver brushed metal look to it. Can't find one anywhere. Thanks again Adam. What would we do without u? :)

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Oh and if you add any more green text to your display... just go head on and Follow The White Rabbit....:)

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
thanks for all this work! Now to start working on port for Gear 1...:p Haven't messed with this stuff since HD2 days....Ugh.

Chris

Reactions: AdamOutler

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
I'd like to get someone to test some TWRP images for me. Need someone that's set up to use adb and fastboot and has basic working knowledge of how to use them. Find me in #twrp on Freenode.

Last edited:

hutzdani

May 9, 2010
London
Annnnnd this is why i ditched Samsung after the SGSII, Im so glad I got the G Watch instead.

Seems to be a Thing now that Samsung is playing hard to beat with factory images and source, Devs should jump on some form of anti Sammy bandwagon because although this is sure a great feat in hacking but for people here who Crack flash and test stuff for devs on their devices this is a pain and slows down evolution.

if sammy continue with his imagine all the ideas they can't steal from the clever devs here at XDA, I say screw them and buy devices from companies who truly keep android open source

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
How do I actually use this!? Sorry for the noobness haha. I understand I have to unlock my bootloader first, but how do I actually obtain root after I do that? TIA!

Reactions: wantowan2

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
How do I actually use this!? Sorry for the noobness haha. I understand I have to unlock my bootloader first, but how do I actually obtain root after I do that? TIA!

Hello,
As these are ADB/Fastboot packages, you will need do the following
1) Setup the Android SDK (for ADB and Fastboot)
2) Unlock the bootloader
3) Use the "fastboot boot <filename.img>" (replace this with the location of the extracted content from the zip file)

I honestly would recommend against trying this unless you are a bit seasoned as breakage is possible.

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Boot into TWRP
Mount the system
Use the TWRP terminal emulator
rm /system/app/SuperSU.apk

OK so these are the instructions I was given to root. I am currently sitting in TWRP, system was mounted, when I hit reboot system, it told me I wasnt rooted, so I swiped to root...rebooted back to recovery...clicked terminal command which opened up a directory telling me to choose a starting folder :|

this is where im lost.. Also how do I type anything into the terminal commands once I get it open since theres no keyboard lol

Manually removed it using the file manager though its called superuser.apk and it works..Guess im rooted given I can use the rebooter that Adam posted!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeFCaputo113

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Hello,
As these are ADB/Fastboot packages, you will need do the following
1) Setup the Android SDK (for ADB and Fastboot)
2) Unlock the bootloader
3) Use the "fastboot boot <filename.img>" (replace this with the location of the extracted content from the zip file)

I honestly would recommend against trying this unless you are a bit seasoned as breakage is possible.

Do we have to do each individual img? I downloaded the file, extracted it and theres 23 img files lol. I have yet to do anything with a .tar file also

Im debating on returning to stock and taking the watch back to wait for the 360,

Last edited:

jdellingson7

May 15, 2010
Phoenix
Instructions on returning to Stock??

Could someone please post some instructions on returning to Stock? I flash the Octa Rom and did not make a back up and then tried returning to stock by flashing the system.img and it would not boot. I have returned to stock with Nexus devices in the past but looking at the stock firmware image files here I'm not getting how this works. PLEASE HELP

Tomsgt

Hi guys, I just managed to pull the stock firmware image off the Sprat, with the assistance of @Dees_Troy. We've been working on this for a few days. Lots of highs and lots of lows. Lots of hardware glitches, device overheating, reading kernel logs to troubleshoot problems... And you know what? All of it could have been avoided if Samsung had released a stock image.

Without any further ado, though, you can find a factory image for this device here: https://builds.casual-dev.com/index.php?dir=random/sprat/

Here is the first custom kernel created for this device. It's mostly dees troy's work, he compiled it and made it operate, but I had to reimage it a few times to make it operate properly. If you absolutely need root for checking something out right now, you can fastboot boot this image and get it.

If you'd like to pull your OWN firwmare including the EFS(serial info) for the device, you can use this command in adb root shell after booting the above image.
Code:
f=`ls`;
for f in $x; 
do 
done;
exit;

Code:

[rant]
I mean seriously.. Samsung, WTF? I've been working on this for 5 straight days now.

Why did I have to go through the process of keeping this Quad-core watch cool while i tinkered with UART, and continuously rebooted it?

Is it becoming apparent that Samsung doesn't want people messing with their "open devices"? I mean, I can think of no other reason they haven't released a stock image for a device which can be destroyed with a bad flash.
[/rant]

Either way, we finally have a stock image and that means Dees_Troy can release a TWRP, ROM devs can begin working with the system, and those in need of stock firmware now have access to it. Pretty good news if you ask me.

Hi adam i have a Gear Live with Build KMV78Y and when i fastboot boot rootADB.img my device freezes at the bootloader screen and never reboots. i have to adb reboot to get out of it. which is the funny part since i am still on the bootloader screen but adb works. any idea of what is going on here thanks.
Tom
Edit Never Mind i got it just wasnt expecting it to work this way. pretty funny temp root. why not make it perminant root?

Last edited:

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Hi adam i have a Gear Live with Build KMV78Y and when i fastboot boot rootADB.img my device freezes at the bootloader screen and never reboots. i have to adb reboot to get out of it. which is the funny part since i am still on the bootloader screen but adb works. any idea of what is going on here thanks.
Tom
Edit Never Mind i got it just wasnt expecting it to work this way. pretty funny temp root. why not make it perminant root?

Hiyas Tom..did you really get your Gear?!?!?!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    f=`ls`;
    for f in $x; 
    do 
    done;
    exit;

Code:

[rant]

[/rant]

Thank you Adam and I suppose I can speak for every Live owner here when I say we really do appreciate it. I can't wait to start tinkering with it and lets hope we can get that WatchFace API soon. I'm dying for a more sophisticated looking face with a more blue and silver brushed metal look to it. Can't find one anywhere. Thanks again Adam. What would we do without u? :)

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Oh and if you add any more green text to your display... just go head on and Follow The White Rabbit....:)
    Sweet Adam, you made a lot of progress since Friday
    I'd like to get someone to test some TWRP images for me. Need someone that's set up to use adb and fastboot and has basic working knowledge of how to use them. Find me in #twrp on Freenode.
    thanks for all this work! Now to start working on port for Gear 1...:p Haven't messed with this stuff since HD2 days....Ugh.

Chris