Root with locked bootloader - anyone tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Spectre51

So over on the Xperia S forums they have this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1742992 which is a guide to root the Xperia S with a locked bootloader. Has anyone tried those steps with the ion and a locked bootloader?

I will test this out in a week (after my week of use testing the international firmware on my at&t ion) if no one else has yet. Thought it might be interesting to see if it works for us too.

earbrain

Dec 29, 2010
Dallas
Im out n away from my comp through the weekend spec but I will cerainly help sort through and test soon as I can. eb

Sent from my LT28at using xda premium

npspears

Oct 10, 2010
Guinea Pig

I want to test this out but don't want to brick my phone. What do you think the chances of bricking would be? I'm assuming we would have to use the international firmware since we don't yet have the at&t file, right?

earbrain

Dec 29, 2010
Dallas
Does anybody know if restore via pc connect is possible for ion? Should be, I just havent yet had a chance to connect. eb

Sent from my LT28at using xda premium

npspears

Oct 10, 2010
Nevermind Spectre, found the AT&T file.

Is it easy to brick a phone with flashtool?

Spectre51

Tried today using just the at&t GB ftf but it wouldn't work on step two. Said permission denied. Might need the ICS firmware like how the guide says for the Xperia S. The ics ftf posted in the ion boards gives me (and it seems others with locked bootloaders) sin verification errors.

Reactions: earbrain

fcb13

Nov 10, 2010
I hope someone finds a method, I'm also hoping that we see some development on the ion.

SMN23

Oct 12, 2011
Orlando
Ahh my bad guys :/ My computer is far too slow to use to backup all my internal SD files, if it wasn't I wouldn't have wasted your time with that.

SMN23

Oct 12, 2011
Orlando
Well once we get a FTF we can use of ICS we can try using the same method that was used on the Xperia S to get root with a locked bootloader. But it needs ICS to do the exploit.

Probably a stupid question but, what would it take to make an FTF? I mean like people are always making .zips of ROMs that can be flashed via recovery. Would it be any different besides for the method of getting it on the device?

Spectre51

Probably a stupid question but, what would it take to make an FTF? I mean like people are always making .zips of ROMs that can be flashed via recovery. Would it be any different besides for the method of getting it on the device?

Well we have to get the files from SUS or PC companion of an official release to make into an FTF. Right now ICS isn't being pushed out anywhere so we are stuck waiting.

Reactions: SMN23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So over on the Xperia S forums they have this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1742992 which is a guide to root the Xperia S with a locked bootloader. Has anyone tried those steps with the ion and a locked bootloader?

I will test this out in a week (after my week of use testing the international firmware on my at&t ion) if no one else has yet. Thought it might be interesting to see if it works for us too.
    I tried it with my ion the other day, but there was something like a partation size error.
    Tried today using just the at&t GB ftf but it wouldn't work on step two. Said permission denied. Might need the ICS firmware like how the guide says for the Xperia S. The ics ftf posted in the ion boards gives me (and it seems others with locked bootloaders) sin verification errors.

Well we have to get the files from SUS or PC companion of an official release to make into an FTF. Right now ICS isn't being pushed out anywhere so we are stuck waiting.
    Tried to root today by Xperia S methods, doesn`t work at all :( All the steps of instruction passed OK, but in the end of all this no root access. It seems like those methods for Xperia S only, and they are doesn`t work on Ion. But anyway, i`m not going to unlock BL for root, maybe later we will be eble to get root access somehow like Xperia S users.