[Q] Nook extremely slow unless running ROM from SD

Search This thread

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
Hoping that someone might be able to give me some insight and/or direction.

I've been running CM 10.2 off EMMC for a while now. I started having some issues with slowness and I was interested in CM 11, so I put CM 11 on an SD card so I could dual boot. CM 11 ran well. CM continued to run worse and worse. Bluetooth would timeout, web browser was extremely slow...it was pretty unbearable.

CM 11 ran like a dream so I decided to put CM 11 on EMMC. After I did so, it ran just like 10.2 did. It took 10 - 20 minutes just to get through setup. Gmail would timeout (and reboot) when it tried to sign-in. Apps wouldn't load. I would click on buttons and it would take 1 -2 minutes for the the NOOK to respond.

When I put CM 11 on, I did a factory reset (a couple of times).

So, I decided to put stock back in...without CWM...pure stock. Well, it is still slow. Booting from SD card runs fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm running pure stock now, so I could take it to B&N, but I don't remember when I purchased it. I'm not sure they would do anything.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

bebubanche

May 3, 2012
Yes, you are suffering from LAG and need to run TRIM to fix it. But be careful as these devices with certain internal chips can be bricked running TRIM.

See this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2528009

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

In the updated 01/18 CM 10.2, Verygreen re-enabled Trim. So can I install that update if my device has the faulty chip? Thank in advanced for your answer :eek:

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
Yes, you are suffering from LAG and need to run TRIM to fix it. But be careful as these devices with certain internal chips can be bricked running TRIM.

See this thread:

Thanks. I was running CM 10.2 with the trim-enabled kernel. Also, I had completely wiped /data and all the caches.

I noticed in settings (which took forever to load) it said I had used about 10 gigs or so...which I thought shouldn't be the case if I had formated /data and did a factory reset from CWM. I did a hard reset with factory restore and now things are moving along well.

Do you still think it was the LAG issue? I thought that formatting /data and /cache would fix the LAG (also I thought running the trim-Kernel would fix it too. Perhaps TRIM didn't have a chance to run because I've been dual booting? Although the reason I went to the dual boot was because of the slow issue.

I don't know...perhaps I reflashed a 10.2 ROM and forgot to flash the Kernel, but I've been on the same 10.2 rom for a while.

Either way...things seem to be working now...but now I have to start from scratch to get CM 11 on EMMC.

Thanks for the response!

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
In the updated 01/18 CM 10.2, Verygreen re-enabled Trim. So can I install that update if my device has the faulty chip? Thank in advanced for your answer :eek:

There's a thread over in Android Development that discusses the TRIM related issues. It seems the only chip effective is rev. 5 (if I remember). I believe I have the rev. 6 and have been running the trim enabled kernel since last October or November. Sorry my memory is so faulty. If you need me to, I'll find my chip again (have to wade through the very long 10.2 thread to see what the command is since I've forgotten).

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
Some people say it is safe to do. I have tried it myself with no issues. You have to ask yourself if your device gets bricked can you afford to replace it? If no don't do it.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I noticed in settings (which took forever to load) it said I had used about 10 gigs or so...which I thought shouldn't be the case if I had formated /data and did a factory reset from CWM. I did a hard reset with factory restore and now things are moving along well.
Your issue was you did not really FORMAT /data with those CWM commands. Because the HD/HD+ uses an emulated internal sdcard (/data/media), it only ERASES part of /data keeping the media files intact. So all of your earlier media files remained even after CWM /data format and factory reset commands. The only way to really format /data is to go to mounts and storage in CWM and format 'data and datamedia'. Then it really FORMATS all of /data (including your media files in /data/media) and gets rid of lag. Of course your hard reset and factory restore did that too.

Reactions: dmullens

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
Your issue was you did not really FORMAT /data with those CWM commands. Because the HD/HD+ uses an emulated internal sdcard (/data/media), it only ERASES part of /data keeping the media files intact. So all of your earlier media files remained even after CWM /data format and factory reset commands. The only way to really format /data is to go to mounts and storage in CWM and format 'data and datamedia'. Then it really FORMATS all of /data (including your media files in /data/media) and gets rid of lag. Of course your hard reset and factory restore did that too.

Okay. That makes sense, although I wasn't aware of that behavior. Guess running TRIM manually would have fixed my issue. It took a while, but I have CM 11 running now. Thanks for all your work on that. It seems much faster than 10.2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

See this thread: