Lg og>lg g2

Search This thread

jonahly

Oct 27, 2012
Ashland
Eternal comparison of the LG Optimus G and the LG G2.

Sent from my Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1390798522398.jpg
    1390798522398.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 694

vnv01

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like an open thread on greed form thoughts about what people like or didn't like between the first and second generation flagships. Now if youwere trying to be obtuse about WhY the need for such a thread, it may have been easier to just type those exact words... I kind of like putting all of those comparisons in one thread for those still on the fence about sticking with LG.... The OG can be had in secondary markets for under a Benjie and it's still a more than capable phone for what we do daily...

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
Sounds like an open thread on greed form thoughts about what people like or didn't like between the first and second generation flagships. Now if youwere trying to be obtuse about WhY the need for such a thread, it may have been easier to just type those exact words... I kind of like putting all of those comparisons in one thread for those still on the fence about sticking with LG.... The OG can be had in secondary markets for under a Benjie and it's still a more than capable phone for what we do daily...

No, I figured that was what it was about just thought it was a weird way of going about it. As for which one is better, the G2 would win for most people based on specs alone. However, I'd still choose the lgog for one major reason, developer support. This isn't a concern for your casual/standard smartphone user. G2 will catch up eventually I think, but I love this forum, just a bunch of great, helpful people and a ton of support.

Also, I got my lgog for $1.00 almost 6 months ago from Best Buy because I was due for an upgrade and that was the sale. ;)

And while the G2 is impressive on the spec front, I'd still take a Nexus5 over it, again, because of developer support. The only thing I'd really miss is the camera app and extra megapixels.

jonahly

Oct 27, 2012
Ashland

+1

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jonahly

Oct 27, 2012
Ashland
Lol that's why it confused me a bit because you started it but didn't give any details on your opinion besides the thread title. :p

I don't see myself getting rid of the lgog anytime soon. The communtiy is just too awesome.

Oh I agree, I'm probably going to cry when I go to get my upgrade, my mother has the LG G2 and father with the HTC One so I feel left out :( but this device and the amazing developers we have is what brought me to this device. I love it!

Reactions: I-IoLLoW

vnv01

Dec 4, 2011
I've been putzing around with an HTC one since I dropped and cracked the screen on my OG..sense is not bad but I'm really disappointed with camera options...quality isn't health as bad as they say but options are junk compared to LG...I'm snatching the wife's g2 for a couple of weeks to see if it's worth just getting the OG fixed and sticking with that ...the S4 processor really holds up against these newer snapdragons in real world application, I don't care what the bench arms say :D

Reactions: jonahly

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
I've been putzing around with an HTC one since I dropped and cracked the screen on my OG..sense is not bad but I'm really disappointed with camera options...quality isn't health as bad as they say but options are junk compared to LG...I'm snatching the wife's g2 for a couple of weeks to see if it's worth just getting the OG fixed and sticking with that ...the S4 processor really holds up against these newer snapdragons in real world application, I don't care what the bench arms say :D

Yeah I have no experience with the the S4, but trust me, the lgog is worth it. I feel blessed to be a part of this community. That said - have fun with that G2!!!! And if you get your lgog fixed, we will be here waiting to embrace you into the fold! :D

Reactions: jonahly

JESUSARIUS REX

Sep 23, 2011
Florida
Tbh, i like lg phones, but nothing is stable/fast enough on this phone besides stock. I mean, my evo shift lived wayyyy beyond it's time, and everything was super stable. The OG just doesn't handle aosp well, and although i love stock, i like having a stable version of the latest aosp too. I mean the 4.3 is more stable on my shift ( lags more, but is stable). The general point of aosp is to get better battery life and performance, and this phone ALWAYS has worse battery on aosp and performance equals stock only on certain roms for certain tasks( fyi i know its the phone not devs). If i was going to go anywhere, it would be back to HTC until LG opens up, as development has always been stellar on those phones, even before htc opened up.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
Tbh, i like lg phones, but nothing is stable/fast enough on this phone besides stock. I mean, my evo shift lived wayyyy beyond it's time, and everything was super stable. The OG just doesn't handle aosp well, and although i love stock, i like having a stable version of the latest aosp too. I mean the 4.3 is more stable on my shift ( lags more, but is stable). The general point of aosp is to get better battery life and performance, and this phone ALWAYS has worse battery on aosp and performance equals stock only on certain roms for certain tasks( fyi i know its the phone not devs). If i was going to go anywhere, it would be back to HTC until LG opens up, as development has always been stellar on those phones, even before htc opened up.

Have you tried vanir?

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

nwsteeze

Aug 29, 2013
I tried Vanir and liked it besides getting ok battery life and not being able to record Vines, Snapchat video, and minor things that never work unless I'm on stock.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Kippui

Jan 1, 2011
@JESUSARIUS REX

The newer CM11 builds 1/28< have been near flawless for me. May want to give CM11 at least one more chance since sources for our device was updated recently. I generally find myself crawling back to CM11 whenever I try other roms for one reason or another. Previous CM11 builds gave me sleep of death but past few builds have been fine lately(or maybe it was official facebook causing it?)

Last edited:

JESUSARIUS REX

Sep 23, 2011
Florida
@JESUSARIUS REX

The newer CM11 builds 1/28< have been near flawless for me. May want to give CM11 at least one more chance since sources for our device was updated recently. I generally find myself crawling back to CM11 whenever I try other roms for one reason or another. Previous CM11 builds gave me sleep of death but past few builds have been fine lately(or maybe it was official facebook causing it?)

Ive actually very happy with the state of cm11. But its still not (officially) finished, so it has too many bugs for me. Thats why i brought up 4.3 ie cm10.2. All 4.3 finished aosp roms are always worse than stock as far stability and performance, and the fact is, aosp is supposed to be faster. I game, use flash, watch a lot of videos and use my phone heavily, so i need battery life AND performane, not one or the other. Stock based is the only way i can get through a day.

RacerBoy

Dec 19, 2013
Minneapolis
Lol that's why it confused me a bit because you started it but didn't give any details on your opinion besides the thread title. :p

I don't see myself getting rid of the lgog anytime soon. The communtiy is just too awesome.

+1 on the community.

Don't know what I'd do if the lgog died-- doesn't look like Sprint has them anymore. G2 is a little bigger not so pocket sized anymore.

Guess I'll hang onto my upgrade for awhile.

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida
I definitely prefer the LGOG over the G2. Back when my OG broke, I almost got another one until I saw the drop in price on the OG Pro and jumped for it. The G2 has horrid battery life. My grandmother had one for a few days and returned it because she had to charge it twice a day, not including a nightly charge. Definitely missing the dev support over here, though. So many more options ROM and kernel wise. Hell, we just received our first custom kernel and it's not exactly user friendly lol. The only real difference between the OGP and OG is the screen, chipset, and a removable battery (currently using a 9300mAh ZL). Although the OGP can only handle up to 1.89GHz, same as the OG, as I see you guys now have an OC kernel. In my eyes, the E970 is still the better device.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vnv01

Dec 4, 2011
I definitely prefer the LGOG over the G2. Back when my OG broke, I almost got another one until I saw the drop in price on the OG Pro and jumped for it. The G2 has horrid battery life. My grandmother had one for a few days and returned it because she had to charge it twice a day, not including a nightly charge. Definitely missing the dev support over here, though. So many more options ROM and kernel wise. Hell, we just received our first custom kernel and it's not exactly user friendly lol. The only real difference between the OGP and OG is the screen, chipset, and a removable battery (currently using a 9300mAh ZL). Although the OGP can only handle up to 1.89GHz, same as the OG, as I see you guys now have an OC kernel. In my eyes, the E970 is still the better device.

You lost me...was your complaint against the G2 or the G Pro ? By all accconts I've heard the G2 gets amazing battery life. I'm returning the HTC today and activating the G2 so I'll be able to make comparisons tto the One the G2 and the OG after a few weeks of play. I can say, after a few weeks with the One that I will honestly miss that damned BlinkFeed.

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
By all accconts I've heard the G2 gets amazing battery life. I'm returning the HTC today and activating the G2 so I'll be able to make comparisons tto the One the G2 and the OG after a few weeks of play. I can say, after a few weeks with the One that I will honestly miss that damned BlinkFeed.

I hear the G2 gets amazing battery life as well but the best battery stats Ive heard about on the G2 were 17-23 hours. My stock Lgog gets 24-30 hours on a full charge. However both of my roomates have an lgog and they have very different experiences, nowhere near my experience - but I tinker with it daily - they are computer illiterate. Using viper kernel, undervolting a few clicks and using wakelock detector with greenify has given my lgog unheard of battery life. Again, this is on stock however - I too have had the most stable and best performance on stock/stock based. Vanir in particular seemed smoother and faster tbh, but battery life was no where near as good. That being said, a lot of these are still in it's infancy imo and just keep getting better. The lgog is a sensitive phone from everything Ive read/experienced but the devs we have continue to do amazing and dedicated work so I just keep my backup and continue flashing/playing with new things as they come.

Coming from an HTC EVO 4G, I feel like the lgog itself is a bit unstable. It's like what Lewis Black says about general rules of health - what's good for one of us may kill another, lol - that sums up the lgog for me. But thanks to either my constant tweaking or just dumb luck, I love this damn phone so much more than my old EVO. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Yeah I was confused about whether or not you were talking about the G2 or the G pro, e980 is deifnitely the g pro - but you may have been talking about both and it came out funny - it happens. I was gonna say one thing about the G2 though - atleast they are getting official nightly 4.4 AOKP builds.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1

Ok.... Not really getting what your trying to prove here

Sent from my LG-LS970

I'm not much into custom ROMs....

....Besides the near zero bezzels in G2 makes it hard to handle with one hand! yes, because when you want to touch somewhere far from your thumb, your hand touches the edge of the screen and the screen doesn't respond. But OG is a bit smaller and has small but enough bezzels.

I am not one for huge phones either, but tbh you sound like an iphone user at this point... Don't like custom ROMs? The screen is too big for one hand? That's why we have 2, and custom ROMs are awesome, so many options, even within one ROM...

Also....
    My friend always says apple phones are small enough for one hand because the other is always sticking it's thumb up the users butt...