GMD Gesture Control + Stylus

Search This thread

forceOnature

May 26, 2010
Has anyone discovered some way to make the stylus coexist peacefully with this app? First I used the app with the tablet gesture group enabled but any time I used the stylus while resting my hand on the screen, I triggered gestures. Then I tried switching between to the phone gesture group but it just ignores all stylus input while my palm is on the screen.

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010
Has anyone discovered some way to make the stylus coexist peacefully with this app? First I used the app with the tablet gesture group enabled but any time I used the stylus while resting my hand on the screen, I triggered gestures. Then I tried switching between to the phone gesture group but it just ignores all stylus input while my palm is on the screen.

Omg yes I hope someone has a solution! I posted a similar question last week but it didn't have any success.

My only temporary fix is to set GMD to pause when i'm using a spen specific app (like lecturenotes).

Wenbinbin2010

Jan 7, 2014
My current solution is to use the GMD SPen Controls app at the same time as regular GMD Gesture Control. The SPen app has a gesture that disables all finger touch input, so when I'm using my SPen, my palm doesn't trigger any GMD multi-touch gestures.

At first, I tried to create a gesture that would pause GMD, but immediately I realized...then you can't gesture again to unpause it. Everytime I would have to reopen the app and go through the hassle of unpausing. Right now, the GMD SPen method works the best for me since usually, if I'm using the SPen, most likely I won't need my fingers. The GMD SPen app has gestures for Alt+Tab, switching apps, home screen, etc.

Nov 28, 2011
W At first said:
Create a custom pause gesture. When you do that, there's an option to select the gesture to work even when GMD is paused. Let me know if you need full directions and I can type them up.

Though the idea of using the spen GMD is also interesting...

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010
My current solution is to use the GMD SPen Controls app at the same time as regular GMD Gesture Control. The SPen app has a gesture that disables all finger touch input, so when I'm using my SPen, my palm doesn't trigger any GMD multi-touch gestures.

At first, I tried to create a gesture that would pause GMD, but immediately I realized...then you can't gesture again to unpause it. Everytime I would have to reopen the app and go through the hassle of unpausing. Right now, the GMD SPen method works the best for me since usually, if I'm using the SPen, most likely I won't need my fingers. The GMD SPen app has gestures for Alt+Tab, switching apps, home screen, etc.

You can also set GMD to pause when a certain app is open, and it un pauses when the app closes.

EDIT: just tried it with Spen GMD, and it totally works great!

Last edited:

Wenbinbin2010

Jan 7, 2014
You can also set GMD to pause when a certain app is open, and it un pauses when the app closes.

Where do you find that option in GMD???

EDIT: Just saw the previous post, and I'll experiment more with GMD...but SPen control is nice because it prevents absolutely any random touches. Sometimes my palm makes little dots while handwriting.

Last edited:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Swipe up with 4 fingers = pause GMD. That's my solution so far and it works pretty good.

I've read that you can use Tasker to automatically disable GMD when the stylus is out. But for me having a gesture is good enough.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
You need tasker, gmd gesture control, gmd spen control, note buddy, and secure settings plugin for tasker.
Set up your gmd gestures for the pen and finger input. And a manual way to pause or unpause gmd touch gestures (make sure to set this to work even when gmd gesture control is paused it needs to be a little complex to prevent accidental activation when writing with the pen) then turn on note buddy. After inital activation this app serves as a tasker plugin allowing tasker to determine when the pen is inserted or removed. So it goes like this

Task should be activated by a state-plugins-note buddy (configure it for pen removed.
Then the task performed will also be under plugins-secure settings (this plugin allows tasker to access things like settings toggles and such and more importantly right here shortcuts to applications actions.) Select app shortcuts in secure settings and then choose gmd gesture control. It will list the various actions available. You want to choose under gmd actions pause/unpause gestures.
Set an exit task with the only difference being the note buddy is configured to exit the task on detection of pen insertion.

I slaved over tasker trying to figure this out lol. Hope you guys can use it too. I'll be pretty surprised if nobody else has done this yet though. You can configure tasker with further parameters if you want. Im sure that it can be made more accurate. If the screen goes off while the pen is out gmd unpauses itself. Thats why I said to create a pause unpause finger gesture and you may occasionally feel the need to use a finger gesture instead of the pen ones you have created. I find pen control to be generally less useful than gesture control but I use both.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Swipe up with 4 fingers = pause GMD. That's my solution so far and it works pretty good.

I've read that you can use Tasker to automatically disable GMD when the stylus is out. But for me having a gesture is good enough.

Where do you find that option in GMD???

EDIT: Just saw the previous post, and I'll experiment more with GMD...but SPen control is nice because it prevents absolutely any random touches. Sometimes my palm makes little dots while handwriting.

Create a custom pause gesture. When you do that, there's an option to select the gesture to work even when GMD is paused. Let me know if you need full directions and I can type them up.

Though the idea of using the spen GMD is also interesting...

Omg yes I hope someone has a solution! I posted a similar question last week but it didn't have any success.

My only temporary fix is to set GMD to pause when i'm using a spen specific app (like lecturenotes).

Read my above post for the tasker method I devised. Im pretty sure that it was me you saw talking about it before.

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010
HOLY COW what a hassle.

Just do this...

lmBnRxgl.jpg

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
HOLY COW what a hassle.

Just do this...

lmBnRxgl.jpg

that only pauses by app. Keyboards and action note won't trigger a pause. And pausing and unpausing every time its not right gets annoying fast. The biggest issue is like with stylus beta you cant write with gmd on. This way any time you remove the pen it will pause automatically.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

you can set your gmd pause unpause gesture to be active when gestures are paused