[Q] Hissing sound in earphones

Search This thread

Varming

Nov 29, 2007
Vejle
I just received my G3 (the European 855 version) today and wanted to listen to some music from Google Play Music All Access. There is a terrible hiss/crackling sound, especially in the left ear and it's with earphones that (still) sounds fine on my old SGS3. I've tried with 3 different pairs of earphones and it's the same with all of them.

Does anybody else got problems with hissing/crackling sounds from the G3?

Varming

Nov 29, 2007
Vejle
I solved this myself - the problem is "only" there if I'm using ART, after going back to Dalvik the problem is gone again.

lossah

Jul 23, 2014
Dont have this problem with my D855. Not with v10a or e. Used this phone with headphones/speakers about 8h/day since release. :eek:

Im using ART.

Varming

Nov 29, 2007
Vejle
Switching back to Dalvik didn't solve it :( After a reboot the sound is fine but after a while the hiss starts, especially in the left ear. Nobody else got this problem? I'm on v10e with a D855 32GB

UPDATE: I just connected my Fiio and with that to amplify the sound the hiss goes away but as soon as I remove the Fiio the hiss is back again.

Last edited:

olivierdo

Oct 21, 2007
Switching back to Dalvik didn't solve it :( After a reboot the sound is fine but after a while the hiss starts, especially in the left ear. Nobody else got this problem? I'm on v10e with a D855 32GB

UPDATE: I just connected my Fiio and with that to amplify the sound the hiss goes away but as soon as I remove the Fiio the hiss is back again.

it's a problem.
But it depends what kind of earphones i use, with my sennheiser MOMENTUM it's perfect.

deadkenny64

May 21, 2006
Medina. OH

That seems to point to an impedance issue. It is not in every phone because I use very low impedance IEMs and do not hear it. I have also read reports of it just going away on its own.

Solarity

Dec 17, 2014
I'm having this same problem with my D855 that I bought today.

It sounds like a loud hissing noise (like interference) and only seems to come out of the left ear piece, it's not noticeable when the music gets busy but during the quieter parts or where only one instrument is playing, it sounds horrible. :(

I've tried my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and the bundled earphones, both produce the noise. It's also very apparent at different volume levels.

Updating from KitKat (4.4) to Lollipop (5..0) didn't help, as the problem is still there.

Looks like I'll be returning this phone already as I use my phone to listen to music a lot. It's a shame that such a fundamental problem should ruin what is otherwise a really nice phone. Ah well.

bedberkut

Jun 29, 2014
This problem has been discussed in many threads and i think its a software problem.
Reasons why i think it's not hardware relsted:

-The g2 has a similar issue but only after you patch kitkat on it.

-on my g3 and many others the hissing disapears after you make a call (with no headphones pluged in) until you reboot the system.
This simple bugfix works for me but it's a pain in the ass and i hope somebody finds a way to fix it for good

Ps.
Stock Lollipop and cm 12 both do have the problem