[Q] "SIM card removed" error DRIVING ME CRAZY

Search This thread

Vinnie_Madrox

May 22, 2014
Howell, NJ
www.facebook.com
(Incase xda won't show the picture)

SIM card removed
Unable to detect your SIM card. Your device will restart to check for your SIM card
Restart (button)

Anyone else get this error? I can't do ANYTHING when this pops up. Can't pull down my status bar, no where to dismiss the message, can't bring up the app switcher, nothing. Only things i can do is hit the sleep button to turn off the screen or hit restart.

A few months ago, i'd get it maybe once a week. Then it got progressively worse to once a day, a few times a day, then eventually it would pop up 15-20 times a day, making my phone essentially useless. Went to an at&t store, and got a new SIM card, hoping that was the problem. That solved the problem for about a week, and it started getting progressively worse again. I'm now getting this error message about once or twice a day again.

I cracked my screen (not huge, just 2 long cracks) a few weeks after getting the phone back in august, so i'd have to replace the screen ($150 locally) before sending my phone into samsung, so i was hoping there was maybe a more simple fix and the SIM reader wasn't physically bad :-\

At&t Samsung Galaxy S4 32gb stock ROM, fully updated firmware, non rooted (can't figure out how)

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
The sim card issues Is a know issue. I would have samsung fix the screen and the sim card error.

They should fix the sim card issue under warranty but if you try to do the screen your self they may chard for the repair. Most likely like mine it was the main system board that needed to be replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Vinnie_Madrox

May 22, 2014
Howell, NJ
www.facebook.com
The sim card issues Is a know issue. I would have samsung fix the screen and the sim card error.

They should fix the sim card issue under warranty but if you try to do the screen your self they may chard for the repair. Most likely like mine it was the main system board that needed to be replaced.

I had my main system board go bad on my s3, and they told me if the screen is cracked, the warranty is automatically void. So i had the glass repaired locally ($130) and then shipped it out to samsung to get looked at. Unfortunatly they completely whiped the entire phone (internal memory) to replace the board, obviously. I'm really hoping they wouldn't have to do that with this phone, since it's just a piece on the board and not the board itself.

Are there any threads that talk about this issue? I'd like to do more research before spending the money to have it repaired

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
I had my main system board go bad on my s3, and they told me if the screen is cracked, the warranty is automatically void. So i had the glass repaired locally ($130) and then shipped it out to samsung to get looked at. Unfortunatly they completely whiped the entire phone (internal memory) to replace the board, obviously. I'm really hoping they wouldn't have to do that with this phone, since it's just a piece on the board and not the board itself.

Are there any threads that talk about this issue? I'd like to do more research before spending the money to have it repaired

Why not just buy a Sim tray for 10$ and replace it yourself??

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
Why not just buy a Sim tray for 10$ and replace it yourself??

because that doesn't fix it nor does a new sim card it's a known Samsung problem and one I've been battling for months I believe it's a software problem that Samsung is aware of. Here's the other thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2375982

"No soup for you! Come back one year!!"
Sent from my VisionX ATT SGH-I337 rocking CCC

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Here's the other thread and I've been fighting this bug for months and so far there's no easy fix I've tried them all
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2375982

"No soup for you! Come back one year!!"
Sent from my VisionX ATT SGH-I337 rocking CCC

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
You can also search for my username here and on android central. I was part of a few threads about this.

I also have a couple threads on AT&T support forums too.

Rocksolid77

Sep 26, 2012
Montreal
I haven't been able to confirm it yet but I think I might have a solution. I was going to wait a couple of days before posting but then I figured that I can post and collectively we can get a better sample size of data to come to a conclusion. I had long suspected that this was somehow due to location services as the problem first began for me when I downloaded Find my Friends and Glympse. I tried everything under the sun, factory reset, new roms, disable xposed, adding apps back one by one to find the cluprit (over 400!), paper in the sim tray to improve connection, everything!

The other day I had just freshly restored my phone from a Nandroid backup as I had noticed that when first restoring the phone would seem to remain problem free for a couple of days before I started getting the messages again. Well yesterday I was problem free until about 20 minutes after I first downloaded an application from the playstore following the reset. Then it hit me, all the other times the problem starting popping up again was always right after downloading all the of the application updates that piled up since my last backup. Initially I always thought that one of the application being updated was the problem (thus the adding of them one by one!) but in that moment I also realized that my Playstore app on the backup was the older version and would get updated when I made my first download. The problem must be with either The Play Store or Google Play Services! I used my trusty Rom Toolbox to go check the latest update for play services and, sure enough, play services had been updated maybe 5-10 minutes prior to the problem, probably receiving the prompt when I first tried to download something, or in the original cases, when I started the updates!

The Solution!
I froze Google Play Services as a test and low and behold, no pop up for over two days! But Google Play services is so engrained in our phones that suddenly my playstore didn't work, maps was acting wonky, and Google Now wasn't playing nice anymore. So I went back to Rom Toolbox and defrosted Play Service but turned off all location based intents, receivers, and services. Since then I'm almost 1 day error free and haven't seen any adverse effects in maps or navigation resulting in the disabled receivers, intents, or services. The answer seems to have something to do with Google Now's Location services which are constantly pinging your location. I haven't seen this fix recommended anywhere (and I've checked!) so hopefully this helps some of you out. I'd love to hear back about your results one way or the other.

Unfortunately for those of you who are not rooted, this fix does require root access and an root application manager that can manipulate receivers and intents. If you are not rooted you can try deleting the data from play services and removing updates. It may help temporarily but you may end up needing to do it regularly. You can also just disable play services all together if you can do with Google Apps.

Reactions: sherv

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012
Did anyone ever find a solid fix for this? I've been plagued with this problem and would really enjoy a solution.:)

The same thing happened to me. Unfortunately for me I had to send it in to sing for it be get fixed. They replaced the pcb board along with many other things that fixed the issue. So if I'd have to say. Call samsung and have them fix it for you. Took a week to get it back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DKOMofo

Nov 10, 2014
Stockbridge, GA
The same thing happened to me. Unfortunately for me I had to send it in to sing for it be get fixed. They replaced the pcb board along with many other things that fixed the issue. So if I'd have to say. Call samsung and have them fix it for you. Took a week to get it back.

Not an option, I don't have a warranty on the device seeing as it was purchased through a 3rd party. I am very tech savvy and have plenty of resources (tool wise) at my disposal. Just can't figure out what is going on here.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Not an option, I don't have a warranty on the device seeing as it was purchased through a 3rd party. I am very tech savvy and have plenty of resources (tool wise) at my disposal. Just can't figure out what is going on here.

And it seems as though it expired on August 6th of 2014

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

I bought it through a third party too. From a local cell phone shop. But it wasn't tampered with inside so they gladly fixed it. Of you want I can send you the log report of the fix and you can see what you need to fix in order to get it working again.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I bought it through a third party as well. From a local cellphone guy. I didn't have warranty and they still gladly fixed it for me, bring that the device wasn't water damaged or tampered with. Here's the full log of their documentation of the fix. See if you can find out what exactly to repair.

*10/21/2014//18:17:33//STAFL2240//Telephone//Customer*
1) Inquiry:
Ibrahima Barry
Bps device is Carrier locked after repair.

2) Resources used:
Fastlink>Policy>Unlocki
ngsamsungDevices>DeviceLocks

3) Steps taken:
sent phone to us.. Sim would not read... bp received phoneback from RSI... Bp say
s device was unlocked prior to sending it in device is no longer unlocked.. gave unlock code before. advised bp that samsung doesnt
access to unlock codes, and that he will need to speak to the devices cariier AT&T because they are the only people that can provide
carrier unlock assistance for that device.

4) Additional comments/Requirements:N/A

5) Outcome:
Bp disconnected the line
to call AT&T
*10/14/2014//18:41:26//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
IBI PROCESS
*10/14/2014//18:41:25//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/14/2014 5:40 PM-Monica Angon: The unit is shipped.
*10/14/2014//18:41:24//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/14/2014 5:40 PM-Monica Angon: No hold amount
*10/14/2014//18:30:15//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
IBI- PROCESS
*10/14/2014//17:42:19//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/14/2014 4:42 PM-Melisa Salinas: QC Pass.
*10/14/2014//08:57:02//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/14/2014 7:56 AM-Liodan Ortega: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced Cosmetic - Replaced Component - Replaced PBA
*10/14/2014//08:55:45//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/14/2014 7:55 AM-Liodan Ortega: The Unit did not pass Quality Assurance Check.
*10/13/2014//12:34:31//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/13/2014 11:34 AM-Liodan Ortega: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced Cosmetic - Replaced Component
*10/13/2014//10:37:11//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
10/13/2014 9:36 AM-Beatriz Malagon: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Box & Cushion)

msheikh25

Jun 11, 2011
I haven't been able to confirm it yet but I think I might have a solution. I was going to wait a couple of days before posting but then I figured that I can post and collectively we can get a better sample size of data to come to a conclusion. I had long suspected that this was somehow due to location services as the problem first began for me when I downloaded Find my Friends and Glympse. I tried everything under the sun, factory reset, new roms, disable xposed, adding apps back one by one to find the cluprit (over 400!), paper in the sim tray to improve connection, everything!

The other day I had just freshly restored my phone from a Nandroid backup as I had noticed that when first restoring the phone would seem to remain problem free for a couple of days before I started getting the messages again. Well yesterday I was problem free until about 20 minutes after I first downloaded an application from the playstore following the reset. Then it hit me, all the other times the problem starting popping up again was always right after downloading all the of the application updates that piled up since my last backup. Initially I always thought that one of the application being updated was the problem (thus the adding of them one by one!) but in that moment I also realized that my Playstore app on the backup was the older version and would get updated when I made my first download. The problem must be with either The Play Store or Google Play Services! I used my trusty Rom Toolbox to go check the latest update for play services and, sure enough, play services had been updated maybe 5-10 minutes prior to the problem, probably receiving the prompt when I first tried to download something, or in the original cases, when I started the updates!

The Solution!
I froze Google Play Services as a test and low and behold, no pop up for over two days! But Google Play services is so engrained in our phones that suddenly my playstore didn't work, maps was acting wonky, and Google Now wasn't playing nice anymore. So I went back to Rom Toolbox and defrosted Play Service but turned off all location based intents, receivers, and services. Since then I'm almost 1 day error free and haven't seen any adverse effects in maps or navigation resulting in the disabled receivers, intents, or services. The answer seems to have something to do with Google Now's Location services which are constantly pinging your location. I haven't seen this fix recommended anywhere (and I've checked!) so hopefully this helps some of you out. I'd love to hear back about your results one way or the other.

Unfortunately for those of you who are not rooted, this fix does require root access and an root application manager that can manipulate receivers and intents. If you are not rooted you can try deleting the data from play services and removing updates. It may help temporarily but you may end up needing to do it regularly. You can also just disable play services all together if you can do with Google Apps.

I've been getting the error for a couple of weeks on my stock AT&T GS4. I've had it since release from May 2013 so about 18 months old, and out of warranty. I just recently got the OTA update for 4.4.4 so I thought maybe it had something to do with that but looks like this has been an issue for a while, and not with just the GS4 (or just Samsung phones, but HTC and others also). So your solution made the most sense....something that is common on all the phones would be the Google Play services. After reading, I turned on the location services on my phone and it immediately got the SIM error. So after the reboot, I cleared the data for the Play services and am hoping this will take care of it. Pretty big issue if its caused by Googles apps/services.

Other solution I saw was this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56806072&postcount=238
That is too involved for me to try out so I'm really hoping this Play Services thing will work. But the way he describes the issue is very similar to mine...seems to be the worst when I have the phone in my pocket walking around (although it does happen when the phone is just sitting there on the desk too). I've also noticed its a little better with wifi off.

Rocksolid77

Sep 26, 2012
Montreal
I've been getting the error for a couple of weeks on my stock AT&T GS4. I've had it since release from May 2013 so about 18 months old, and out of warranty. I just recently got the OTA update for 4.4.4 so I thought maybe it had something to do with that but looks like this has been an issue for a while, and not with just the GS4 (or just Samsung phones, but HTC and others also). So your solution made the most sense....something that is common on all the phones would be the Google Play services. After reading, I turned on the location services on my phone and it immediately got the SIM error. So after the reboot, I cleared the data for the Play services and am hoping this will take care of it. Pretty big issue if its caused by Googles apps/services.

Other solution I saw was this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56806072&postcount=238
That is too involved for me to try out so I'm really hoping this Play Services thing will work. But the way he describes the issue is very similar to mine...seems to be the worst when I have the phone in my pocket walking around (although it does happen when the phone is just sitting there on the desk too). I've also noticed its a little better with wifi off.
Hope it works! I ended up getting the messages again anyways though I do find that whenever the message pops up, if I delete Play Services Data it seems to last a little while before the next message. I'm still not totally convinced that it's not a software problem, as you said, it's an issue that happens on a couple of devices though it does seem to be epidemic on the S4. I've since given up on my S4 and just got my OnePlus One today! Personally, I've given up on Samsung. I've been a diehard Samsung fan for many years but my experience with my S4 has totally soured me on them; it's a piece of crap! They're becoming everything I've ever hated about Apple. I'm jumping ship to OnePlus; same specs, half the price. Except the lack of an SD card which really bothers me... But not enough to pay 300 bucks for it!

am_OS

Dec 8, 2014
solved by switching filesystem to f2fs

I have been experiencing 'sim card removed' problem for almost 5months but recently when i switched filesystem from ext4 to f2fs i have not encountered the problem anymore, counting, 3days.

Here's what i did. I just installed cyanogenmod 12 for s4 i9505 by AntaresOne and just followed all steps from the link below including switching from ext4 to f2fs using TWRP. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-orig-develop/rom-cyanogenmod-12-t2943934

Im sure that it has nothing to do with changing my rom from touchwiz4.4.2 to cyanogenmod 12[5.0.1 lollipop], which required wiping my data,cache and formatting my system, because i still encountered the problem with new the rom with the existing/default ext4 file system.

This is just pure observation, i cannot explain the mechanism with the use of f2fs in relation with sim card functionality. It has worked for me so far and the cyanogenmod12 in the link works really smooth. Please proceed with caution!

sherv

Aug 24, 2007
Just started getting this problem last week. Like the rest of the posters in this thread, I've tried a plethora of troubleshooting ideas to no avail. Pretty sure my phone is out of warranty but I will check...but the number of major and minor annoyances experienced with this phone and Samsung as a company ensure that I will never buy a Samsung phone again.

clepperM

Sep 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
twitter.com
My i717 needed rebooted several times a day because of the SIM Card Removed error. After a few months, my charging port started going and ultimately broke. I've ordered two new ones, but they affect my cell reception, so I'm waiting on a third. Point is, after getting a battery wall charger and re-installing the old charging port board, the SIM Card error has stopped happening. Leads me to believe it has something to do with the charging port or the board it's connected to. Just my two cents.

dfg187

Jul 2, 2012
Sony Xperia 1 III
Could you try liquidsmooth 3.2milestone. I had this issue as well but using this ROM i have no problems? Software vs hardware who knows!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

tieutumathi

Mar 10, 2015
Hi,

Have same problem for while,and have tried many thing. In the end, I found that as long as I keep the NFL feature on. The phone seem to be OK. People try it out,hope it work out for you.

Ryan

msheikh25

Jun 11, 2011
I've had this issue since last year and posted in this thread back in November 2014 when it first started. Living with this for almost a year but it hasn't been too bad once I realized how it works. Basically every time I have to reboot the phone, the issue starts up. It'll last anywhere from a few days to a week or so but eventually it stops on its own. Those few days can be frustrating because it can literally reboot on you every couple of minutes at times. Obviously you have to reboot your phone every time you get the SIM error, but the trick is not to restart your phone otherwise because you never know which time it will finally be stable. I have gone months without rebooting my phone once I figured this out. Only time I reboot is when its forced because I can't get to a charger in time and the battery dies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Solution!

yeah the thread where I posted my fix. Well if they haven't tried that yet maybe it could help, this phone is amazing, has great screen and 2 gigs of ram, and it's incredibly cheap, in my case I got it 5 days ago for 30€. The previous owner was sick of all the rebooting.