[How-To] Install any 2.x ROM in a CID-Locked G3 or G4 Wizard

Search This thread

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
Re: Just to be sure...

nish1021 said:
Hi. I have a question that may or may not have been answered elsewhere... so I'll ask it here.

I have the following on my Cingular 8125...

GSM 2.25.11
OS 2.25.11.1
IPL 2.25.0001
SPL 2.25.0001

I've downloaded the tutorial for installing a 2.x ROM to a CID LOCKED phone. I've also downloaded all the following:

- MrClean AKU2.3 ROM
- tools.rar
- RUU.rar

So far, I think I'm right on. My only question is... will the ROM I mentioned above work with my particular model if I remove the IPL/SPL parts in the MrClean ROM as mentioned in the tutorial? MrClean's ROM says it is a 2.3 ROM, but it looks like I have the 2.25 ROM... or am I mistaken in how I'm reading the versions?

I do not want to brick the phone and have to deal with the coming headaches.

FIRST: if you don't touch your factory IPL/SPL (and, by following my tutorial, you don't touch them) then the event of a major damage is highly unlikely...

...BUT, if you're not very experienced in ROM editing/flashing, pocketPCs and PCs in general then i advise you to keep using your current rom (It's quite up to date, not really different from MrClean).

SECOND: MrClean is NOT a version 2.3 rom (its version number is 2.24 but version numbers are not really important)! It's an AKU 2.3 rom!!! Your factory rom is a version 2.25 but it's only AKU 2.2.

AKU numbers indicate MS Windows Mobile's build number. Newer AKUs have some little improvements and/or bugfixes made by Microsoft itself. Version numbers, on the other hand, are chosen by phone manufacturers and/or distributors. A greater version number not necessarily means a newer rom: i.e. Cingular's ver.2.25 AKU2.2 rom (yours) is, actually, older than T-Mobile ver.2.24 AKU2.3 rom (MrClean).

The differencies (between aku2.2 and aku2.3) are, however (and IMHO), almost not noticeable so this is what i suggest you:
- keep your rom and wait for something better (and newer) than MrClean. A few days ago t-mobile released version 2.26 aku2.3 rom that's newer than MrClean (but contains t.mob stuffs and customization so wait until a new mrclean version)

bye

hassiba

Aug 7, 2006
Re: [How-To] Install any 2.x ROM in a CID-Locked G3 or G4 Wi

risidoro said:
Hi,
Here it is. Together with the tools you'll need to perform the update.

Hi

Where is the tutorial risidoro? there is no URL link or anything like it

where can I find the tutorial please?

evilito

Jul 20, 2006
risidoro said:
runbuh said:
Well - I spoke a little too soon. I can't get an Extended ROM on my unit. Despite how many things I try, I can get everything but the Extended ROM. I even made an .nbf file with just the Extended ROM. It appears to load, but my phone won't go through the Extended ROM setup after a hard reset. I prepared files using a T-Mobile 2.26 setup (loading everything by the IPL/SPL). I tried a making an .NBF from the Cingular ROM (2.25) with the same result. Strange things are a foot at the Circle K.

- Are you sure you used the correct image name: 'Extension ROM' (without quotes)?

- Did u put Extension ROM in the FIRST row in nb2nbf?

- Did u check the address in nb2nbf (it must be 9b00000)?

- Did u edit or modify the extension rom .nb file in any way (using winimage)?

- Are you sure you did hard reset after flashing the extrom? (i'm asking 'cos if you flash only the extrom part (and not the OS) then the phone won't automatically hard reset. It hard reset only when upgrading the OS part)

- Did you soft-reset immediatly after the hard reset? You must NOT if you want to install the extrom.

Let us know.

bye

I did all of these things also and still no Extension Rom, tutorial says 'Extension Rom' for the name btw, so if ROM needs to be capitalized you may need to fix that in the tutorial. I even did a hard reset this weekend. and still no Extension Rom. Does the name need to be Extension ROM? I took apart the stock Cingular upgrade from the HTC site and followed your tutorial to the letter. I got the 8125 close to what the stock Cingular settings are by manual configuration and someone was nice enough to post the Cingular Extension Rom contents elseware on this board. But I would really like to get the darn extension rom back on my phone.

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
evilito said:
I did all of these things also and still no Extension Rom, tutorial says 'Extension Rom' for the name btw, so if ROM needs to be capitalized you may need to fix that in the tutorial. I even did a hard reset this weekend. and still no Extension Rom. Does the name need to be Extension ROM? I took apart the stock Cingular upgrade from the HTC site and followed your tutorial to the letter. I got the 8125 close to what the stock Cingular settings are by manual configuration and someone was nice enough to post the Cingular Extension Rom contents elseware on this board. But I would really like to get the darn extension rom back on my phone.

No, no. You must use 'Extension Rom' as it's written in the tutorial. I really can't imagine what's causing you this trouble. Try this:

Download the tool nbftool04 i posted in page 3 of this thread, run it and open the nk.nbf you cooked. It should be like the one in this photo:[/img]

yahdimon

Jul 13, 2006
Pembroke Pines
The details for my phone is listed below, would I be able to update my phone with the T-Mobile 2.26.10.2WWE ROM (excluding IPL/SPL) using this tool? And what is the difference between this T-Mobile ROM and the Mr. Clean v2.24a AKU 2.3 ROM? Which one is better?

Please help.

Thanks

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
yahdimon said:
The details for my phone is listed below, would I be able to update my phone with the T-Mobile 2.26.10.2WWE ROM (excluding IPL/SPL) using this tool? And what is the difference between this T-Mobile ROM and the Mr. Clean v2.24a AKU 2.3 ROM? Which one is better?

Please help.

Thanks

Yes, you'll be able to update your phone.

2.26 is newer than MrClean (2.24) so i suggest it. However, 2.26 extrom contains t-mobile stuff so you may want to cook a rom with 2.26 OS and MrClean extrom (or you can keep your cingular extrom and cook only the OS part). bye

yahdimon

Jul 13, 2006
Pembroke Pines
risidoro said:
yahdimon said:

Please help.

Thanks

Yes, you'll be able to update your phone.

2.26 is newer than MrClean (2.24) so i suggest it. However, 2.26 extrom contains t-mobile stuff so you may want to cook a rom with 2.26 OS and MrClean extrom (or you can keep your cingular extrom and cook only the OS part). bye

What's included in the MrClean extrom? And would I use to typho5 and nb2nbf to cook the ROM? sorry, I'm new to this.

Thanks so much.

lukjod

Aug 12, 2004
Warsaw
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
evilito said:

1.all files in ext rom must be read only before making nk.nbf
2.If U add any cab that is not signed U must put Cert_SPCS.cab as first one to install which allows not signed cabs to install without bypassing them

GerooTech

Apr 7, 2005
Rom Update Utility

is there any english version from the rom update utility as i do not understand the error it displayes.

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
Re: Rom Update Utility

gwassef said:
is there any english version from the rom update utility as i do not understand the error it displayes.

Uhm... yep... you're right, i should have posted the english RUU, and i'll do one day or another.
Anyway, when it gives you the error it also shows an error code. The file readme.doc (included in RUU.rar) contains all these error codes explained in english. Check there.

Bye

GerooTech

Apr 7, 2005
thanks,
the error was about a missing file i did not copy.
i have another question, i got the new tmoible 2.26 rom and i tok the OS and GSM images and combined them with 2.16 extended rom from imate. and i made the nbf and it is sucessfully intsalled. but it does not install the contents of the extended rom. can anybody help me in that

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
gwassef said:
thanks,
i have another question, i got the new tmoible 2.26 rom and i tok the OS and GSM images and combined them with 2.16 extended rom from imate. and i made the nbf and it is sucessfully intsalled. but it does not install the contents of the extended rom. can anybody help me in that

You're not the first one that experienced this problem. I'm starting to think that it may be caused by a different certificates configuration in newer t-mobile 2.26 and cingular 2.25 roms. It's the only possible solution i have in mind.

You could try to cook a rom with OS and extrom both taken from the same rom (i.e. OS and extrom both from 2.26) and see if that works. Then, we could try to find a solution for extrom taken from different roms.

It's quite weird though... I'll try to cook a rom similar to yours and install it on my phone to see if, maybe, something is wrong in newer IPL/SPLs.

BTW, which RUU tools are you using? The one i provided in the first post or the one posted by The-Equinoxe in the third page of this thread? If the latter is your case, then try using my RUU.

If anyone out there can provide a different interpretation/explanation of this problem, he's invited to tell us. Thanks!

GerooTech

Apr 7, 2005
risidoro said:
gwassef said:
thanks,

You're not the first one that experienced this problem. I'm starting to think that it may be caused by a different certificates configuration in newer t-mobile 2.26 and cingular 2.25 roms. It's the only possible solution i have in mind.

You could try to cook a rom with OS and extrom both taken from the same rom (i.e. OS and extrom both from 2.26) and see if that works. Then, we could try to find a solution for extrom taken from different roms.

It's quite weird though... I'll try to cook a rom similar to yours and install it on my phone to see if, maybe, something is wrong in newer IPL/SPLs.

BTW, which RUU tools are you using? The one i provided in the first post or the one posted by The-Equinoxe in the third page of this thread? If the latter is your case, then try using my RUU.

If anyone out there can provide a different interpretation/explanation of this problem, he's invited to tell us. Thanks!

first i tried the extended rom with the tmoible and it works great, secondely i am using the one in the 3 page, also it gives me the error on non signed apps when it starts to run

GerooTech

Apr 7, 2005
i reupdated my device with the mixed rom, and i tried to install the files i need from the imate extened rom manually, and i got the warrning of the un certified cab with each cab i try to install.

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
gwassef said:
i reupdated my device with the mixed rom, and i tried to install the files i need from the imate extened rom manually, and i got the warrning of the un certified cab with each cab i try to install.

So we found the problem! 2.26 is problably using some certificate or doing some check that was not present/required in imate rom.

This problem can be solved. You must cook a new extrom containing:

- autorun.exe from the 2.26 rom ('cos it's correctly signed)
- disable_signature_check.cab (to install for first to disable the certificate signature check on subsequent cabs)
- cabs taken from the extrom you like (i.e. imate's one)
- config.txt file, edited accordingly to the cabs you want to install

If you send me the extrom you'd like to install (the imate one) i can try cooking a extrom for you (in case you don't know how to do). Let me know. bye

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    a few days ago i wrote on this forum that i had been able to install an italian ROM on a G4, CID-Locked Wizard. Since then, i've received several mails and PM from users asking me how i did. Instead of replying each one, i though it was better to write a tutorial and post it here for everyone to read/comment/correct it.

Here it is. Together with the tools you'll need to perform the update.

PS: in this tutorial i'm not explaining how to CID-UNlock a G4 or G3 (>= 2.21) phone. There is not yet a way to CID unlock these phones. I'm just describing how to circumvent the CID-lock problem by installing a ROM deprived of the IPL and SPL parts.

DISCLAIMER: THE PROCEDURE I’M GOING TO EXPLAIN DEALS WITH ROM ‘COOKING’ AND THUS IT MAY CAUSE SEVERE DATA LOSS OR EVEN IRREMEDIABLY DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE!
    THE AUTHOR, NOR EVERY OTHER PERSON INVOLVED (E.G. THE ROM TOOLS DEVELOPERS), SHALL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MALFUNCTIONS OR DAMAGES THIS PROCEDURE MAY CAUSE.

By following this tutorial, you're removing both the bootloaders (IPL and SPL) from a rom of your choice. This means that, if you don't make errors while 'cooking' the rom, you cannot completely destroy (brick) your phone. Sure, you could end up with a non-booting rom but, as long as you can get to the three colors screen (the bootloader screen) you'll always be able to install a different (or your previous) working rom.

On the other hand, messing with IPL and SPL (i.e. installing a rom containing IPL and SPL in a CID locked device) is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and MUST be avoided in most cases!!!

Installing a 2.xx rom without messing with your phone's IPL and SPL is exactly what this tutorial tries to explain.

NEVER INSTALL ROMS OR FOLLOW TUTORIALS IF YOU'RE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!
    ALWAYS ASK BEFORE PROCEEDING! A SIMPLE QUESTION MAY SAVE YOUR PHONE FROM DEATH!