[TUT] Dummies guide: updating HTC USB Sync Drivers

Search This thread

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
First of all you will need to download the drivers attached in this post and extract them. Remember where you extract them to!

The main reason for updating these drivers is so that you can use USPL or MTTY. USPL is an alternative to HSPL and is used for flashing roms. MTTY is used for retrieving information from the HTC bootloader as well as setting certain things. One of the more popular uses for MTTY is to clear the rom update error code in the bootloader after a failed flash.

The drivers that come with Windows for the HTC Bootloader are incompatible with USPL and MTTY. Once you update the driver with this guide you will be able to use USPL and MTTY.

Now that you have the drivers downloaded and extracted you need to know which version of Windows you have.

If you have Windows XP go to post 2

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 go to post 3

MOD EDIT

If you have previously updated drivers and successfully flashed a rom before you do not need to update drivers again. If 'usb' is not displayed at bottom of bootloader when connected to pc, simply reboot, press F8-key & select option to ignore the signature. Phone should now state 'usb' in bootloader to enable you to flash rom

Attachments

• Drivers.zip
    98.2 KB · Views: 33,363
Last edited by a moderator:

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Windows XP

Use this method only if you have Windows XP!

• Before you start this, put your phone into its bootloader and plug it into your computer via the USB cable. Your phone should show USB at the bottom of the bootloader screen. It is very important not to skip this!
  • If you have ActiveSync installed, start at step WXP1. Otherwise skip to step WXP4.
WXP1 - Downloads

• (WXP1a) Drivers.zip
  • (WXP1b) Extract each item to its own folder
WXP2 - Open ActiveSync and click File, Connection Settings.

2.jpg

WXP3 - Uncheck Allow USB connections and click OK and then close ActiveSync.

3.jpg

WXP4 - Press Start menu, Run, type in devmgmt.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

4.jpg

WXP5 - In the Device Manager locate Windows CE USB Devices and expand it. Double-click on HTC USB Sync.

5.jpg

WXP6 - In the HTC USB Sync Properties click the Driver tab and then Update Driver.

6.jpg

WXP7 - In the Hardware Update Wizard, click the No, not this time radio button and then click Next.

7.jpg

WXP8 - Continuing in the Hardware Update Wizard, click the Install from a list or specific location radio button and then click Next.

8.jpg

WXP9 - Continuing in the Hardware Update Wizard, click the Don't search. I will choose the driver to install radio button and then click Next.

9.jpg

WXP10 - Continuing in the Hardware Update Wizard, click the Have Disk button.

10.jpg

WXP11 - In the Install From Disk dialog, click the Browse button.

11.jpg

WXP12 - In the Locate File dialog, browse to where you downloaded the driver. Select the 32-bit folder if you use the 32-bit edition of Windows, or select the 64-bit folder if you use the 64-bit edition. Select wceusbsh.inf and click the Open button.

12.jpg

WXP13 - Back in the Hardware Update Wizard, select the HTC USB Sync and click Next.

13.jpg

WXP14 - Continuing in the Hardware Update Wizard, you will see an error: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

This is totally normal, do not worry. Click Finish.

14.jpg

WXP15 - The Device Manager will show an exclamation point next to the HTC USB Sync. Unplug the USB cable from your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from USB to Serial.

15.jpg

WXP16 - The Device Manager will no longer show the HTC USB Sync. Plug the USB cable back in to your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from Serial to USB. The Device Manager will now show the HTC USB Sync as fully functional. You are done!

17.jpg

Last edited:

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Windows Vista / Windows 7

Use this method only if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7!

• Before you start this, put your phone into its bootloader and plug it into your computer via the USB cable. Your phone should show USB at the bottom of the bootloader screen. It is very important not to skip this!
  • If you have the 64-bit edition of Windows you must disable digital driver signing before you continue on! To do this, restart your computer. After the initial BIOS screen but before the Windows bootup splash screen, spam press F8 until you see a Windows menu. If you do not get a menu and end up in Windows you pressed F8 at the wrong time. Try it again until you get the menu. In the menu select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement or Disable Digital Driver Signing (depending on your version of Windows). Windows will finish booting up and you can continue on.
  • If you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed, start at step WV1. Otherwise skip to step WV4.
WV1 - Downloads

• (WV1a) Drivers.zip
  • (WV1b) Extract each item to its own folder
WV2 - Open Windows Mobile Device Center, hover over Mobile Device Settings and click Connection Settings.

1.jpg

WV3 - Uncheck Allow USB connections and click OK and then close Windows Mobile Device Center.

2.jpg

WV4 - Press Start menu, Run, type in services.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

3.jpg

WV5 - Make sure both the Windows Mobile 2003-based device connectivity and Windows Mobile-based device connectivity services show Started. If they are not, start them.

4.jpg

WV6 - Press Start menu, Run, type in devmgmt.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

5.jpg

WV7 - In the Device Manager locate Mobile Devices and expand it. Double-click on HTC USB Sync.

6.jpg

WV8 - In the HTC USB Sync Properties click the Driver tab and then Update Driver.

7.jpg

WV9 - In the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Browse my computer for driver software button.

8.jpg

WV10 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer button.

9.jpg

WV11 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Have Disk button.

10.jpg

WV12 - In the Locate File dialog, browse to where you downloaded the driver. Select the 32-bit folder if you use the 32-bit edition of Windows, or select the 64-bit folder if you use the 64-bit edition. Select wceusbsh.inf and click the Open button.

11.jpg

WV12 - Back in the Update Driver Software Wizard, select the HTC USB Sync and click Next.

12.jpg

WV14 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, you will see a message: The hardware you installed will not work until you restart your computer.

This is not true at all, do not restart. Click Finish.

13.jpg

WV15 - The Device Manager will show an exclamation point next to the HTC USB Sync. Unplug the USB cable from your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from USB to Serial.

14.jpg

WV16 - The Device Manager will no longer show the HTC USB Sync. Plug the USB cable back in to your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from Serial to USB. The Device Manager will now show the HTC USB Sync as fully functional. You are done!

16.jpg

Last edited:

eighty1

Apr 8, 2009
Atlanta
Thanks for your work

GREAT WORK HERE. WISH THIS WAS AROUND WHEN I FIRST HAD TO DO IT.:rolleyes: THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION OF HELPING OTHERS AS ALWAYS.:D

zoltrix3

May 27, 2009
Poznan
I haven't in device manager windows CE USB devices
I tried reinstall ActivSync 4.5 without any results.
How can I fix this problem?

Thanks for the help

ModernMuseum

Dec 17, 2008
I'm about to attempt this driver update, but I have a conflict with your instructions.

Your instructions hint that there should be a 32-bit folder and a 64-bit folder inside the drivers.zip file. I just see 6 individual files. Is it okay to proceed with extracting all six files to a single folder and updating the driver with the wceusbsh.inf file?

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I'm about to attempt this driver update, but I have a conflict with your instructions.

Your instructions hint that there should be a 32-bit folder and a 64-bit folder inside the drivers.zip file. I just see 6 individual files. Is it okay to proceed with extracting all six files to a single folder and updating the driver with the wceusbsh.inf file?

I just downloaded the attachment from the first post. When I open the archive in Winrar on Winzip I see two folders, 32-bit and 64-bit. I get the same directory structure when I unzip them...

ModernMuseum

Dec 17, 2008
I just downloaded the attachment from the first post. When I open the archive in Winrar on Winzip I see two folders, 32-bit and 64-bit. I get the same directory structure when I unzip them...

I've tried it on two PC's and got the same result: 7 files in one directory - the first five appear to be 32-bit and I extracted those five to a directory on my PC:

WceRndis.cat
WceRndis.inf
wceusbsh.cat
wceusbsh.inf
wceusbsh.sys

(64-bit files wceusbsh.sys and wceusbshx64.inf appear to be the only 64-bit files and I did not extract them)

I believe I updated the drivers successfully, but when using USPL to update the phone to 1.54 SPL (step USPL3), it gets stuck at 0% and then sends me into a Recovery sequence.

Anyone got any ideas? I need to get this done ASAP before I leave the country.

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I've tried it on two PC's and got the same result: 7 files in one directory - the first five appear to be 32-bit and I extracted those five to a directory on my PC:

WceRndis.cat
WceRndis.inf
wceusbsh.cat
wceusbsh.inf
wceusbsh.sys

(64-bit files wceusbsh.sys and wceusbshx64.inf appear to be the only 64-bit files and I did not extract them)

I believe I updated the drivers successfully, but when using USPL to update the phone to 1.54 SPL (step USPL3), it gets stuck at 0% and then sends me into a Recovery sequence.

Anyone got any ideas? I need to get this done ASAP before I leave the country.

When you use USPL does it "reboot" your phone and show SPL 1.15.USPL?

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Guys i'm italian and i don't understand this piece and i don't able to install that drivers ._.

Anyone can help me?

Bootloader screen = Tri-colour screen

1. Turn off device
2. Hold down Volume down
3. Turn on device & continue to hold down volume down
You will enter a tri-colour screen. This is bootloader.

You need to be in bootloader before connecting your computer to phone.

Sorry this is not in Itailian. Hopefully you understand

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows Vista / Windows 7

Use this method only if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7!

• If you have the 64-bit edition of Windows you must disable digital driver signing before you continue on! To do this, restart your computer. After the initial BIOS screen but before the Windows bootup splash screen, spam press F8 until you see a Windows menu. If you do not get a menu and end up in Windows you pressed F8 at the wrong time. Try it again until you get the menu. In the menu select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement or Disable Digital Driver Signing (depending on your version of Windows). Windows will finish booting up and you can continue on.
    • If you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed, start at step WV1. Otherwise skip to step WV4.
    WV1 - Downloads

• (WV1a) Drivers.zip
    • (WV1b) Extract each item to its own folder
    WV2 - Open Windows Mobile Device Center, hover over Mobile Device Settings and click Connection Settings.

1.jpg

WV3 - Uncheck Allow USB connections and click OK and then close Windows Mobile Device Center.

2.jpg

WV4 - Press Start menu, Run, type in services.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

3.jpg

WV5 - Make sure both the Windows Mobile 2003-based device connectivity and Windows Mobile-based device connectivity services show Started. If they are not, start them.

4.jpg

WV6 - Press Start menu, Run, type in devmgmt.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

5.jpg

WV7 - In the Device Manager locate Mobile Devices and expand it. Double-click on HTC USB Sync.

6.jpg

WV8 - In the HTC USB Sync Properties click the Driver tab and then Update Driver.

7.jpg

WV9 - In the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Browse my computer for driver software button.

8.jpg

WV10 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer button.

9.jpg

WV11 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Have Disk button.

10.jpg

WV12 - In the Locate File dialog, browse to where you downloaded the driver. Select the 32-bit folder if you use the 32-bit edition of Windows, or select the 64-bit folder if you use the 64-bit edition. Select wceusbsh.inf and click the Open button.

11.jpg

WV12 - Back in the Update Driver Software Wizard, select the HTC USB Sync and click Next.

12.jpg

WV14 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, you will see a message: The hardware you installed will not work until you restart your computer.

This is not true at all, do not restart. Click Finish.

13.jpg

WV15 - The Device Manager will show an exclamation point next to the HTC USB Sync. Unplug the USB cable from your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from USB to Serial.

14.jpg

WV16 - The Device Manager will no longer show the HTC USB Sync. Plug the USB cable back in to your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from Serial to USB. The Device Manager will now show the HTC USB Sync as fully functional. You are done!

16.jpg

A big noobish question: what are these drivers meant for?? what are the benefits of installing them?? :D

Also interested in this one. Haven't heard of them so far :D?

If you want to use USPL or MTTY.
    Win 7 64 U
    Windows currently on Test Mode, Build 7600.

Vivo PVT Ship S-ON RL
    HBOOT 1.09.0000
    RADIO 38.02.01.11_M
    eMMC-boot

Steps given do not work. HBOOT shows HBOOT USB PLUG and HBOOT USB below in the menu.

My device manager shows 'Other devices' instead of 'Mobile devices'. My phone is detected as 'Android 1.0'. I get code 52 when trying to install the usb driver. Any ideas?

*edit*
    found a way to make RUU work. I already have a goldcard but RUU ain't detecting my phone due to the USB problem. Found out there is another way:
    Go to developer.htc.com
    Scroll to most bottom
    Download HTC Android USB Driver for Microsoft PC
    Manually install working drivers with device manager

RUU worked and I'm using Australia Virgin Gingerbread rom now :D