[Q] Soft Brink! Please Help i337m

Search This thread

crayak

Jul 16, 2009
Hi, everyone I'm at a lost my S4 has been down for over a month now.

I've tried all the steps in the s4 bricked forums with no luck. I can't do the Kies recovery because it asks for a recovery code I don't have. (I bought the phone 2nd hand)

At this point I'm not even sure which stock rom I need to set the phone back to stock. I believe its a I337MVLUAMG1. I'm trying to run the phone on Aio.

When flashing from odin I usually get a failure. Seems like the Canadian S4 is prone to soft bricking searching the forums.

Currently I have Philz Advanced recovery installed. I'm stuck at Samsung Galaxy S4 logo
with
Kernel is not seandroid enforcing
Set Warranty bit: kernel

Any help of suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

blankingblank

Mar 3, 2014
Hey dude. No expert here, but it sounds like u have the new bootloader i.e. Knox. If ur going to do an odin flash to restore it, it's going to have to be at least MK6 firmware (I'm guessing this is the firmware u were on as NC1 just dropped and u said u'd been bricked for a month). Knox won't let u downgrade so if u've been flashing a 4.2 firmware then that's prolly why ur stuck at the boot screen. Good luck chief.

Oh, also, if u can boot into recovery, doing a factory reset and wiping /system couldn't hurt.

Last edited:

crayak

Jul 16, 2009
Hey dude. No expert here, but it sounds like u have the new bootloader i.e. Knox. If ur going to do an odin flash to restore it, it's going to have to be at least MK6 firmware (I'm guessing this is the firmware u were on as NC1 just dropped and u said u'd been bricked for a month). Knox won't let u downgrade so if u've been flashing a 4.2 firmware then that's prolly why ur stuck at the boot screen. Good luck chief.

Oh, also, if u can boot into recovery, doing a factory reset and wiping /system couldn't hurt.

Alright thank you thats a step in the right direction. I downloaded: I337MVLUFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI and tried flashing it. I'm getting odin failures. I can successful flash a recovery or modem. But flashing an entire ROM from odin fails every time. I'm not sure what stock ROMs will work with my phone. Its a Canadian i337m last time I was able to boot I was on MG1 i believe. I don't know if it matters. But I bricked my phone trying to undo the tmobile AWS work around (I swtiched to Aio).

blankingblank

Mar 3, 2014
Alright thank you thats a step in the right direction. I downloaded: I337MVLUFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI and tried flashing it. I'm getting odin failures. I can successful flash a recovery or modem. But flashing an entire ROM from odin fails every time. I'm not sure what stock ROMs will work with my phone. Its a Canadian i337m last time I was able to boot I was on MG1 i believe. I don't know if it matters. But I bricked my phone trying to undo the tmobile AWS work around (I swtiched to Aio).

U said u had the Knox msg come up when booting right? That means ur bootloader is 4.3 or higher regardless of what baseband ur on (modem). U can find a carrier specific version of the latest firmware at samsung-updates. Extract the tar.md5 and flash under AP in Odin 3.09 after unticking auto reboot and force reboot. If that fails u can try formatting all ur device partitions in recovery. Doubt that last part would help the odin flash stick but it's worth a shot. I use philz and u can format everything from /boot to /firmware_mdm. Like I said, dunno if that'll help but u could try it. Also, using kies on ur PC, u should make sure u have the latest drivers installed. Hope some of that helps

crayak

Jul 16, 2009
U said u had the Knox msg come up when booting right? That means ur bootloader is 4.3 or higher regardless of what baseband ur on (modem). U can find a carrier specific version of the latest firmware at samsung-updates. Extract the tar.md5 and flash under AP in Odin 3.09 after unticking auto reboot and force reboot. If that fails u can try formatting all ur device partitions in recovery. Doubt that last part would help the odin flash stick but it's worth a shot. I use philz and u can format everything from /boot to /firmware_mdm. Like I said, dunno if that'll help but u could try it. Also, using kies on ur PC, u should make sure u have the latest drivers installed. Hope some of that helps

Holly Vag thank you! I can now fully boot the phone. I installed Philz recovery and installed Vision X G4. WiFi is not working, and I haven't put my sim card in to see if it'll work with At&t/Aio yet.

Okay next step this is a Canadian Rogers i337m I think. Not sure how to confirm it. But assuming it is. What do I need to do to get wifi running. I see forums saying to install certain kernel and modems for the Canadian version. I'm not sure how to proceed considering I'm trying to use the phone on Aio/At&t, and suggestions?

Thank you, thank you. This is the farthest I've gotten I've been using a SGH-I437Z=Crapola.

blankingblank

Mar 3, 2014
Holly Vag thank you! I can now fully boot the phone. I installed Philz recovery and installed Vision X G4. WiFi is not working, and I haven't put my sim card in to see if it'll work with At&t/Aio yet.

Okay next step this is a Canadian Rogers i337m I think. Not sure how to confirm it. But assuming it is. What do I need to do to get wifi running. I see forums saying to install certain kernel and modems for the Canadian version. I'm not sure how to proceed considering I'm trying to use the phone on Aio/At&t, and suggestions?

Thank you, thank you. This is the farthest I've gotten I've been using a SGH-I437Z=Crapola.

Lol not sure anything I said helped. I think u must've wiped /firmware or /firmware_MDM right? I only meant to do that if u were going to flash a stock fw as it would replace those parts automatically. I think u lost ur non.hlos.bin file... Flashing a stock fw will bring it back. U can wipe everything again from philz if u want and try an Odin flash again using my instructions from the last post. Also, u want to flash a stock fw that uses the same base as the rom ur planning to flash, i.e. if u restore using a stock KitKat ROM (NC1), then ur gonna wanna make sure u flash a KitKat rom afterwards as the Knox BL won't let u downgrade.

As for which carrier fw to choose, the hardware is the same in all the Canadian variants, so any will work, although I think u were on a bell fw originally cuz of the MG1 suffix.

crayak

Jul 16, 2009
Lol not sure anything I said helped. I think u must've wiped /firmware or /firmware_MDM right? I only meant to do that if u were going to flash a stock fw as it would replace those parts automatically. I think u lost ur non.hlos.bin file... Flashing a stock fw will bring it back. U can wipe everything again from philz if u want and try an Odin flash again using my instructions from the last post. Also, u want to flash a stock fw that uses the same base as the rom ur planning to flash, i.e. if u restore using a stock KitKat ROM (NC1), then ur gonna wanna make sure u flash a KitKat rom afterwards as the Knox BL won't let u downgrade.

As for which carrier fw to choose, the hardware is the same in all the Canadian variants, so any will work, although I think u were on a bell fw originally cuz of the MG1 suffix.

You helped me quite a bit. Thank you. I reflashed Philz recovery with odin, then installed Vision X. I'm not sure what MDM or non.hlos.bin fiels are for. I don't want to use Odin with this phone. Searching the forums seems like this phone and odin don't get along when flashing a full ROM. I'd prefer to do all flashing using recovery. Now I just need to find the right stock zip.

blankingblank

Mar 3, 2014
You helped me quite a bit. Thank you. I reflashed Philz recovery with odin, then installed Vision X. I'm not sure what MDM or non.hlos.bin fiels are for. I don't want to use Odin with this phone. Searching the forums seems like this phone and odin don't get along when flashing a full ROM. I'd prefer to do all flashing using recovery. Now I just need to find the right stock zip.

No problem. Ya I guess the recovery zips could work just as well as the Odin tar.md5's would. I've just never used a recovery to flash a stock rom before.

Fwiw I have the same phone as u and have used Odin plenty, with positive results, although I've heard that peoples experiences with it vary a great deal. Having the right USB drivers installed on ur PC is key tho if u do use it.

Pika71

Oct 6, 2013
plus.google.com
Rom or Firmware?

Hi, everyone I'm at a lost my S4 has been down for over a month now.

I've tried all the steps in the s4 bricked forums with no luck. I can't do the Kies recovery because it asks for a recovery code I don't have. (I bought the phone 2nd hand)

At this point I'm not even sure which stock rom I need to set the phone back to stock. I believe its a I337MVLUAMG1. I'm trying to run the phone on Aio.

When flashing from odin I usually get a failure. Seems like the Canadian S4 is prone to soft bricking searching the forums.

Currently I have Philz Advanced recovery installed. I'm stuck at Samsung Galaxy S4 logo
with
Kernel is not seandroid enforcing
Set Warranty bit: kernel

Any help of suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

that have tried to install rom or firmware? :cool: