[Q] Brand New EVO 3D with 1.40 boot! Root help please?

Search This thread

mrshades812

Sep 16, 2010
Las Vegas
Ok, I have been reading all day and have noticed alot of new Evo 3d's being sold at sprint stores with the 1.40 h-boot. I noticed because I was one of the lucky ones to get one today!

There is alot of information on this forum, almost to a fault, because most of it is for 1.50 h-boot phones. I am pretty new to rooting, so be gentle. :)
So, here is what I would like to accomplish with my root.

My confusion lies it the area of recovery. I have read a few guides on here and this one seems to be the one I keep coming back to. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1196131&highlight=guide

I know I need to do Revolutionary S-OFF & Recovery tool. Part of this process involves downloading and installing Clockwork Mod Recovery (CMR).
Then the guide tells me to install another recovery, Team Win custom recovery Project (TWRP) + Eng H-boot.

Now, the recovery I would like to use is 4ext Recovery Touch v1.0.0.5. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1560279

So, am I flashing 3 different recovery's? Or, do I just flash the 4ext instead of the CMR/TWRP?

My endgame is to flash MeanROM which is a 2.17.651.5 base firmware. But, my phone has a 2.3.3 firmware on it (kernel 2.6.35.10, build# 1.13.651.7), so I will have to upgrade my firmware to the newer version, correct?

Any help or steps to get me started would be awesome!

TIA

mrshades812

Sep 16, 2010
Las Vegas
Thanks...

I won't have a prob doing the root, steps seem easy for the actual root process... via revolutionary.

My issue is the recovery I want to use and the steps to get the rom I want going.

gunfromsako

Apr 14, 2011
Des Moines
I won't have a prob doing the root, steps seem easy for the actual root process... via revolutionary.

My issue is the recovery I want to use and the steps to get the rom I want going.

You may have to use cwm or TWRP temporarily in order to flash SuperUser to gain root access. The 4ext updater app will flash 4ext for you, I just can't remember if it requires su access but I believe it does. Switching recoveries is easy pezy... Don't sweat it man.

And yes you will want to update tour firmware via BOOTLOADER. Freeza has an all in one firmware update package that works nice.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Have a look at Closeone's downgrade tool thread , Post #3 specifically, and start at step 23 since you have Hboot 1.40 & already have fw 1.13.651.7. At the end of it ate some additional resources for 2.17 rooted Roms & the radio update.

Basically run revolutionary for s-off, install any recovery (4ext or cwm 4.0.1.4 recommended), run xhausx's 2.17.651.7 radio only update, format system data & cache (or superwipe), flash MeanRom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24009875
[TOOL][4/14/12] HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Live CD

Last edited:

mrshades812

Sep 16, 2010
Las Vegas
Coolness. Thanks.

Just curious if I need to do this step 2 in that guide... STEP 2. Flash Eng Hboot, Team WIN recovery.

I'm guessing not the TWR, but what about the Eng hboot thing?

Thanks. :)

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Coolness. Thanks.

Just curious if I need to do this step 2 in that guide... STEP 2. Flash Eng Hboot, Team WIN recovery.

In that eng hboot guide you should do up to step 5 to get s-off & cwm recovery v4.0.1.4. Yes, u need HTC drivers & usb debugging enabled.

You don't need eng Hboot, Revolutionary will install a fully working hboot 1.40.0011. You can try that one out later if u need more advanced options.

After the radio update, If you want 4ext Recovery, you have to boot the OS, and install the android app which will install the actual recovery, replacing Cwm if you loaded it when asked by Revolutionary's process.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrshades812

mrshades812

Sep 16, 2010
Las Vegas
Just did revolutionary and cwm recovery and all is good. Did a nand backup and it told me No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

I'm assuming this is normal... going to flash superuser now... (peed a little)

gunfromsako

Apr 14, 2011
Des Moines
Just did revolutionary and cwm recovery and all is good. Did a nand backup and it told me No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

Yes that is normal. If you have an ext4 partition on your sd that's what the backup is... Uh too much fireball...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC

There really isn't a need to flash Su since it's included in MeanRom (you can if you want it included in a backup).

Also see my 2.17 Based Rom Links post for the radio update before meanrom (Listed at the bottom on Closeone's 3rd post)

mrshades812

Sep 16, 2010
Las Vegas
Ya, I did the SU so I could have a clean stock, rooted nand backup.

Everything went smooth as butter! Phone is running MeanROM and very fast. It is a clean stock rom. I'm diggin' it.

I didn't notice any beats audio menu or any way to see if it's actually there even? Is it just there and ya dont see it? I see dsp manager baked in...

Well, anyways, thanks for all the help! I'm up and running all thanks to the help here!

Peace

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Everything went smooth as butter! Phone is running MeanROM and very fast. It is a clean stock rom. I'm diggin' it.

I didn't notice any beats audio menu or any way to see if it's actually there even? Is it just there and ya dont see it? I see dsp manager baked in...

Peace

It's there when you play music inside the HTC Music app, won't work with Bluetooth though (see recent post in MeanRom thread). Ziggy kernel (default in current meanrom) doesn't have 100% Beats even though most "Beats Features" are a part of the Rom. Chad Goodman's kernel, Anthrax RLS8 Final, has Full beats support (if you can tell the difference).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root that bad boy with unrevoked just Google search it.

Coolness. Thanks.

In that eng hboot guide you should do up to step 5 to get s-off & cwm recovery v4.0.1.4. Yes, u need HTC drivers & usb debugging enabled.

You don't need eng Hboot, Revolutionary will install a fully working hboot 1.40.0011. You can try that one out later if u need more advanced options.

After the radio update, If you want 4ext Recovery, you have to boot the OS, and install the android app which will install the actual recovery, replacing Cwm if you loaded it when asked by Revolutionary's process.