LG's L40(kitkat) vs P900(ICS).. Cheated by LG

Search This thread

gagan97

Jun 5, 2012
I was reading in news about LG's new low end phone L40 which is going to be launched with kitkat version of android . Here is spec of L40 phone

the L40 has a 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor a smaller screen at 3.5-inches. It also has 4GB of internal storage, but RAM is lesser than the other two(L series phone) at 512 MB. The camera is only a 3-megapixel unit, while the battery size will vary according to markets. The two battery sizes are 1,700mAh and 1,540mAh.

And they are neglecting our P990 which has similar specifications. They should have upgraded our phone first to kitkat which was their flagship phone first.They can not say it doesn't have hardware to support it becoz they themselves are releasing kitkat on same hardware.

BTW wats the point of releasing L40 when they had already release same spec phone few years back ?

NoDze

I was reading in news about LG's new low end phone L40 which is going to be launched with kitkat version of android . Here is spec of L40 phone

the L40 has a 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor a smaller screen at 3.5-inches. It also has 4GB of internal storage, but RAM is lesser than the other two(L series phone) at 512 MB. The camera is only a 3-megapixel unit, while the battery size will vary according to markets. The two battery sizes are 1,700mAh and 1,540mAh.

And they are neglecting our P990 which has similar specifications. They should have upgraded our phone first to kitkat which was their flagship phone first.They can not say it doesn't have hardware to support it becoz they themselves are releasing kitkat on same hardware.

BTW wats the point of releasing L40 when they had already release same spec phone few years back ?

Would you buy it? I mean, seriously dude, it's about selling. They are going to make a few millions on that L40 just because it's brand new, has kitkat and has a screen size like older iPhones. If they would update the "unupdateable" Tegra2 powered, 2-3 years old 2X, then everyone would go around buying second-hand, used 2Xs for 40$ on eBay, instead of going for their new phone.

Floating Point

Sep 19, 2011
I'd rather say Google cheated everyone, because Android updates life cycle is too short. There is a bunch of "old" phones with very capable hardware to run KitKat 4.4 and phone manufacturers won't ever update them because they just don't have any legal obligation to do so, we only have to hope their "goodwill" to release drive sources, which isn't the case for our 2x since nVidia and LG don't give a %#@!.

It's kinda sad me to see how a very capable phone gets obsolete by force due the lack of system updates, and I'm not talking only about our O2x.

This also raises other important topic, such as about electronic waste, people are wasting their 2 year phone because they are stuck in Gingerbread limbo.

Reactions: Neoblazzer

grimmyrippy

Dec 12, 2011
Hueco Mundo
I'd rather say Google cheated everyone, because Android updates life cycle is too short. There is a bunch of "old" phones with very capable hardware to run KitKat 4.4 and phone manufacturers won't ever update them because they just don't have any legal obligation to do so, we only have to hope their "goodwill" to release drive sources, which isn't the case for our 2x since nVidia and LG don't give a %#@!.

It's kinda sad me to see how a very capable phone gets obsolete by force due the lack of system updates, and I'm not talking only about our O2x.

This also raises other important topic, such as about electronic waste, people are wasting their 2 year phone because they are stuck in Gingerbread limbo.

+1, i think the best manufacturer were we can go is sony?? :noidea:

as i can see today sony is the only manufacturer that providing at least the sources for old phones?

Reactions: azharshaikh7866

Ohlikken

Jun 16, 2011
I think it's worse that they wont give out all the code needed to optimize and improve the Tegra2 cores for O2X than updating it themselves.
(since they obviously aren't very good at it)

bliizzz

Oct 8, 2011
Would you buy it? I mean, seriously dude, it's about selling. They are going to make a few millions on that L40 just because it's brand new, has kitkat and has a screen size like older iPhones. If they would update the "unupdateable" Tegra2 powered, 2-3 years old 2X, then everyone would go around buying second-hand, used 2Xs for 40$ on eBay, instead of going for their new phone.

Well they could at least give out a stable ics ota
The official ics update is crap as hell totally unusable, i would have sold this phone but thanks to the wonderful devs of this community I'm still using it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

williamsjp

Mar 11, 2011
Palmerston North

That L40 is dumb but no doubt like the L3 it will be a great kids phone.

But our P990 will not get love from LG mine is 2 years old now and it was the last of them to be seen here in New Zealand, most people will break or loose the phone by now why develop for such a small audeince, dont forget our phone only have about 384mb of ram and they do not support NEON instuction either it was meant to be over at 4.2 but TonyP and pengus got us a bit further.

Even if you look at the specs i dont think the L90 would be a good replacement for the P990 mainly because of the price im guessing it will be more than the Nexus 5 which cost now the same amount as the P990 cost me two years ago.

akash.mahadeshwar

Dec 10, 2012
Mumbai
The only thing I guess which create prob in devlopment of official kk is tegra 2.
I do have a 4x and lg has stated that 4x wont get any any further update cause it has tegra 3 and is stuck at jellybean forever!

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

BS86

Jan 20, 2013
Regensburg
nvidia drivers are closed source and they do not update the drivers any more - and the tegra2 does not even support neon-instructions - thats why LG stopped developing

and because the phone now really is too old - i mean, a 3 year old smartphone is already a dinosaur, what other company still develops updates for such old phones?

my next phone will definitely have NO nvidia chip in it, and will be manufactured by sony because of their full open source approach.

Last edited:

xperia u20i

Jan 3, 2011
Zagreb
Samsung Galaxy S21
The only thing I guess which create prob in devlopment of official kk is tegra 2.
I do have a 4x and lg has stated that 4x wont get any any further update cause it has tegra 3 and is stuck at jellybean forever!

i bought O2x to my girlfriend last summer,and that was BIG mistake, she need phone,fast,and...luckily we have our developers that make awesome stuff but still, and than i bought to my self O4x, another mistake...i think that that is last tegra device i EVER buy,this is just unforgivable, devices with a lot potential don't receive updates that they deserve ,i won't put so much blame on lg, because htc one x even won't receive kitkat, because of nvidia(nvidia shame on you,you better stay away from smartphone scene,just make people angry) ...except if K1 go open source,than maybe can be an option for buying,but after that i doubt....almost dead in my book,just sad

Floating Point

Sep 19, 2011

In a nutshell, LG + nVIDIA = terrible mistake, total disaster for android.

This is probably the worst combination in android world. LG for its extremely slow system updates schedules and nVIDIA for dropping the support for past SoCs too soon and won't even bother releasing proper documentation or blobs for futher development.

ilooze

May 31, 2012
In a nutshell, LG + nVIDIA = terrible mistake, total disaster for android.

This is probably the worst combination in android world. LG for its extremely slow system updates schedules and nVIDIA for dropping the support for past SoCs too soon and won't even bother releasing proper documentation or blobs for futher development.

well the annoying thing is that they both are the best companies. LG and nVidia did the gratest things, LG invented the first dual-core phone (our O2X) and the first 4K TV, nvidia invented first 3D Vision on PC's and so on..... They are grate companies but when it comes to who gives less f***ks LG and nVidia are the first :laugh: and they are terrible at software developing. :crying:

Last edited:

kteas

Apr 11, 2010
Agreed, I have owned my last nvvidia phone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ximo F. Verde

Jan 12, 2010
Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (Redmi K30 Pro)
The only direct responsible for this situation is nVidia. Those who were in active in this forum the last couple of years know perfectly well how it all went down and, even though it was LG the one who should push updates for the o2x, its always been nVidia that obstructed development efforts due to its notorious closed-source policy. In the end of the day, its perfectly understandable for a company to stop supporting a 3-year old device, considering the silly pace in which mobile tech evolves. Keep in mind that the o2x hasnt been the worst of examples in this area. Even though it still holds the record for longest update holdout (16 months to go from Android 2.2 to 2.3 - even mentioned in Wikipedia) it has seen 2 major OS updates: 2.2 to 2.3 to 4.0. Direct competition doesn't differ too much in this sense (SGS 2.3 to 4.0.4 to 4.1, HTC Thunderbolt 2.2 to 2.3 to 4.0) with some 'flagships' that year seeing much less (see Droid Bionic). We should really be grateful that some amazing devs happened to join this forum and dedicated lots of time and knowledge to maintain this phone and get it where it is right now. It's been some time that i dont use my o2x (passed it on to my gf - still runs great) and moved to an iP4s due to Google's frustrating incapability to write a decent low latency audio API (Apple is the undisputed king there). So even though im not planning to move back to Android before this embarrassing situation is resolved, Im absolutely convinced that ill never, ever buy an nVidia powered phone again, no matter what they come up with. So yes, once more: nVidia, F**k You!

n3nights

Apr 30, 2010
This isn't the first time that LG cheats his users.
Just remember the Optimus 3D updates...

Gainer5

Mar 3, 2013
Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g

Linus Torvals complained about Nvidia because of the lack of their support for Linux and Android. I think it was a good opinion that he said what he thinks about that company. For computers, AMD and ATI have a great support for Linux, which is really nice. Too bad I noticed too late what a fault it was to buy an Nvidia pc, too.

Reactions: Wooby

cRaZy-bisCuiT

Feb 25, 2013
my next phone will definitely have NO nvidia chip in it, and will be manufactured by sony because of their full open source approach.

Does that mean that you'll get a lot of more or less bug free custom ROMs for them? I'm looking forward to buy a phone which will have better custom ROM support in the future without all those nasty bugs which are related to closed source drivers and hidden hardware information like with this phine (camera bug in 4.4, bluetooth call bugs, gps fix problems caused by software). I am really tired because of all that. I never found any very smooth ROM without all those problems.

BS86

Jan 20, 2013
Regensburg
Does that mean that you'll get a lot of more or less bug free custom ROMs for them? I'm looking forward to buy a phone which will have better custom ROM support in the future without all those nasty bugs which are related to closed source drivers and hidden hardware information like with this phine (camera bug in 4.4, bluetooth call bugs, gps fix problems caused by software). I am really tired because of all that. I never found any very smooth ROM without all those problems.

every manufacturer unfortunately has some closed source parts, some more, some less, but some can't be avoided - but yes, sony has the best open source approach and therefore the best custom rom base

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Money Money Money :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app
    The only direct responsible for this situation is nVidia. Those who were in active in this forum the last couple of years know perfectly well how it all went down and, even though it was LG the one who should push updates for the o2x, its always been nVidia that obstructed development efforts due to its notorious closed-source policy. In the end of the day, its perfectly understandable for a company to stop supporting a 3-year old device, considering the silly pace in which mobile tech evolves. Keep in mind that the o2x hasnt been the worst of examples in this area. Even though it still holds the record for longest update holdout (16 months to go from Android 2.2 to 2.3 - even mentioned in Wikipedia) it has seen 2 major OS updates: 2.2 to 2.3 to 4.0. Direct competition doesn't differ too much in this sense (SGS 2.3 to 4.0.4 to 4.1, HTC Thunderbolt 2.2 to 2.3 to 4.0) with some 'flagships' that year seeing much less (see Droid Bionic). We should really be grateful that some amazing devs happened to join this forum and dedicated lots of time and knowledge to maintain this phone and get it where it is right now. It's been some time that i dont use my o2x (passed it on to my gf - still runs great) and moved to an iP4s due to Google's frustrating incapability to write a decent low latency audio API (Apple is the undisputed king there). So even though im not planning to move back to Android before this embarrassing situation is resolved, Im absolutely convinced that ill never, ever buy an nVidia powered phone again, no matter what they come up with. So yes, once more: nVidia, F**k You!

nvidia drivers are closed source and they do not update the drivers any more - and the tegra2 does not even support neon-instructions - thats why LG stopped developing

and because the phone now really is too old - i mean, a 3 year old smartphone is already a dinosaur, what other company still develops updates for such old phones?