[GUIDE] Noobs guide to Odin to flash your SGS4G (Windows)

Search This thread

pixelbrain

Nov 23, 2010
Dayton
UPDATED 04/08/11 - Thanks for the comments to make this process less confusing

I have seen a lot of questions about how to use Odin to flash your SGS4G. I am a noob as well and had to search throughout the forums to get the answers so here it is, plain and simple:

1. Download the Stock + Root rom (.tar file) posted by Krylon360 (kudos) HERE, or a rom from anyone else that has one being built for the SGS4G (use caution, do not attempt to flash a rom for a different device!)
2. Install the SGS usb driver 32-bit or 64-bit
3. Download Odin 1.7 HERE and RUN IT FIRST (before you plug in your phone in step 5 - this allows Odin to find your phone)
4. Remove your memory and sim card (I did this because Odin failed to flash my phone when they were present)
5. Put your SGS4G into Download mode (Hold volume up + volume down then plug in your usb cable running from the compy) You should see a big triangle symbol
6. Wait for your computer to install all drivers (takes a minute)
7. In Odin click the PDA button and select the rom (.tar file)
8. Make certain that Re-Partition is not checked
9. Click the start button and let it do its magic (takes a couple minutes)
10. After it completes your phone will reboot into recovery mode
11. Select reboot system now with the power button (takes a couple minutes to establish the new system)

Like everyone has said before, we are not responsible if you brick your phone. This process worked flawlessly for me.

My thanks go out to the people that are working on the roms and recovery systems that make this all possible. You should thank them by donating or by clicking the thanks button.

Last edited:

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
3. Make sure your phone is rooted (via SuperOneClickRoot)
5. Remove your memory and sim card

I've never heard of you having to root your phone for using Odin to flash your phone. As long as you can get into download mode. You should be able to flash your phone using Odin.

Also I've never had to remove my memory or sim card either. This is true with my SGS4G and when I had my Vibrant.

Please provide download links to Odin and stock TAR for the Super Noobs. Not all noobs know how to use the Search..hehe.

pixelbrain

Nov 23, 2010
Dayton
I've got a screen that's got the Android in the background next to a triangle with an exclamation mark on it. Up top it says:
Android system recover (3e)
Samsung Recovery Utils
- for BML -

Gives me options to reboot system, reinstall packages, delete all user data, delete cache data.

You are in Recovery mode. To flash the rom with Odin you need to be in Download mode.

Reactions: FBis251

t-mo123

May 12, 2010
DALLAS, TX
5. Put your SGS4G into Download mode (Hold volume up + volume down then plug in your usb cable running from the compy) You should see a big triangle symbol

The easiest way for me was to start with the battery out, then plug in the usb and hold down both volume buttons and then put the battery back in. Not sure if this is necessary but the way your describing sounds like it puts you in recovery mode. Does the usb cable being in automatically put you in download mode? (at work or I would test this)

pixelbrain

Nov 23, 2010
Dayton
The easiest way for me was to start with the battery out, then plug in the usb and hold down both volume buttons and then put the battery back in. Not sure if this is necessary but the way your describing sounds like it puts you in recovery mode. Does the usb cable being in automatically put you in download mode? (at work or I would test this)

Whatever way gets you in there :)

If the usb cable is plugged in first, it sets the phone into a battery charge mode (not sure if that's what it is called exactly) and does not allow you to go into download mode if you try pressing vol up and down.

Last edited:

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego

Thats the quickest way to get into download mode.

I either do it that way and pull the battery out first or when the phone is off I'll hold the volume up and down and then plug in the usb cable. Either way works best with me.

fknfocused

May 24, 2007
Las Vegas
I know the OP does not list this but I use this quick and easy way with my phone plugged in and turned on.

open command prompt (windows key + r, then type cmd)

cd C:\Android-sdk-windows\tools (C drive is where my sdk folder is)
adb reboot download

The phone will reboot and go right into download mode. never have to pull battery or push multiple buttons. Hope I dont confuse anyone

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED 04/08/11 - Thanks for the comments to make this process less confusing

I have seen a lot of questions about how to use Odin to flash your SGS4G. I am a noob as well and had to search throughout the forums to get the answers so here it is, plain and simple:

1. Download the Stock + Root rom (.tar file) posted by Krylon360 (kudos) HERE, or a rom from anyone else that has one being built for the SGS4G (use caution, do not attempt to flash a rom for a different device!)
    2. Install the SGS usb driver 32-bit or 64-bit
    3. Download Odin 1.7 HERE and RUN IT FIRST (before you plug in your phone in step 5 - this allows Odin to find your phone)
    4. Remove your memory and sim card (I did this because Odin failed to flash my phone when they were present)
    6. Wait for your computer to install all drivers (takes a minute)
    7. In Odin click the PDA button and select the rom (.tar file)
    8. Make certain that Re-Partition is not checked
    9. Click the start button and let it do its magic (takes a couple minutes)
    10. After it completes your phone will reboot into recovery mode
    11. Select reboot system now with the power button (takes a couple minutes to establish the new system)

Like everyone has said before, we are not responsible if you brick your phone. This process worked flawlessly for me.

My thanks go out to the people that are working on the roms and recovery systems that make this all possible. You should thank them by donating or by clicking the thanks button.

I was not able to root my phone using SuperOneClick Root and I used this process TO root my phone with krylon's stock + root ROM so I am no sure this step is necessary. Just my two cents. . .
    Is it possible to flash original Vibrant ROMS to the SG4G?:confused:

No it is not. This will brick your phone. Do not try this.
    5. Remove your memory and sim card

I've never heard of you having to root your phone for using Odin to flash your phone. As long as you can get into download mode. You should be able to flash your phone using Odin.

Also I've never had to remove my memory or sim card either. This is true with my SGS4G and when I had my Vibrant.

Please provide download links to Odin and stock TAR for the Super Noobs. Not all noobs know how to use the Search..hehe.
    i never removed my memory card or sim and it still works fine