[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (D2VZW)

ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

*** DISCLAIMER ***
I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

CURRENTLY THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

THANK YOU @BeansTown106 FOR HELPING ME DEBUG THIS :)

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
v3.71: Testing

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.6.1.0 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:

1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (3-4 on the S3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
  2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
  3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

For more information you can read up here:
http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?

1. Requirement: Root
  2. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
  3. Download the Safestrap APK
  4. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
  5. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
  6. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
  7. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
  8. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
  9. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
  10. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press under the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting.
By "under", I mean on the touch key portion of the front display on either side of the center button.

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A VERIZON WIRELESS SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (d2vzw)

BETA Safestrap-JFLTEVZW-3.71.apk (updated 2014-01-10)
XDA: XDA Download
Mirror 1: Crackflashers
Mirror 2: Goo.im Download

ALSO DOWNLOAD THE KERNEL MODULES .ZIP THAT MATCHES YOUR BUILD # (FLASH THIS AFTER ROMS):
d2vzw ML1: Download

As of version 3.6x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.6.3.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

XDA:DevDB Information
Safestrap Recovery v3.71, Tool/Utility for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2014-01-10
Last Updated 2014-08-12

rhcp1253

Mar 28, 2012
This may sound weird, but I prefer having the option of a sort of dual boot, having one safe system that always works, and one for aosp nighties and tinkering. I have an unlocked bootloader, and don't want that to change, can I use safestrap?

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
This may sound weird, but I prefer having the option of a sort of dual boot, having one safe system that always works, and one for aosp nighties and tinkering. I have an unlocked bootloader, and don't want that to change, can I use safestrap?

Yes, but it's pretty unsupported. And I may need to take a look at the AOSP ramdisk to make sure I re-route internal storage correctly.

NOTE: all ROMs must use the same kernel.

Dadud

Jun 11, 2012
Yes, but it's pretty unsupported. And I may need to take a look at the AOSP ramdisk to make sure I re-route internal storage correctly.

NOTE: all ROMs must use the same kernel.

So if im using verizons 4.3 update, any other rom i install needs to be on that same 4.3 kernel?

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
If 4.3 is on my stock partition do I need to get kernel modules installed, or is that only when moving between versions?

u will need to install the kernel module package as any tw 4.3 roms out now use a custom kernel and have the wrong modules for the stock kernel. i just sent them to hash so he should have in OP soon

dvaderx

Oct 19, 2010
@Hashcode - This isn't a request, only a "just curious" question.
if you use TWRP and goo manager, you can 'flash a rom' from goo manager, select the order to be flashed and decide if you want to wipe cache or not. press go and it will reboot the phone, start TWRP and carry out your request (I'm sure your familiar with this, i just wanted to be clear in my question) Is this something that would work with safestrap based on TWRP or is it a no-go since Safestrap is invovled?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (D2VZW)

ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
    https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

CURRENTLY THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

THANK YOU @BeansTown106 FOR HELPING ME DEBUG THIS :)

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    v3.71: Testing

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.6.1.0 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:

1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (3-4 on the S3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

For more information you can read up here:
    http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?

1. Requirement: Root
    2. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    3. Download the Safestrap APK
    4. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    5. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    6. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    7. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    8. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    9. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    10. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press under the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting.
    By "under", I mean on the touch key portion of the front display on either side of the center button.

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A VERIZON WIRELESS SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (d2vzw)

BETA Safestrap-JFLTEVZW-3.71.apk (updated 2014-01-10)
    XDA: XDA Download
    Mirror 1: Crackflashers
    Mirror 2: Goo.im Download

ALSO DOWNLOAD THE KERNEL MODULES .ZIP THAT MATCHES YOUR BUILD # (FLASH THIS AFTER ROMS):
    d2vzw ML1: Download

As of version 3.6x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.6.3.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
    I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Safestrap Recovery v3.71, Tool/Utility for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2014-01-10
    Last Updated 2014-08-12
    So if I don't want to flash different ROM's, but just want a solid way to make nandroids in case I mess anything up by flashing xposed or other tweeks, I can just install safestrap?
    yes this will work for nandroids

Earlier you had said you used this to unbrick your S3. I have a S3 on mb1 is it possible to unbrick it, and if so how?
    i used the unbrick sdcard image trick for you you would need the pre 4.3 sdcard image

for everyone else this is meant to be a recovery solution for the people that upgraded to 4.3 and want to be able to flash custom touchwiz roms based off of the 4.3 verizon ota. this wont let u run 5 different aosp roms for the "unlocked crowd" as this is required to be used with the stock 4.3 rom as the "stock slot" and by installing the aosp roms and kernel u would most likely mess up the hijack as its kernel related iirc(hash would have to verify) if you are unlocked stick to twrp or cwm. thats my .02

also this probably wont work with 4.1.2 roms as the kernel changed ALOT for 4.3.. right now ur only options are the stock rom and old&slows deodex custom rom. soon you guys will have a nice fresh jellybeans 4.3 rom to play with as well ;)
    Nice work hash glad I could help debug/test for ya

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk