[Q] Root, Warranty, Unroot?

Search This thread

ellimistx99

Jun 2, 2007
Hello everyone,

We all know rooting your device voids your warranty.

But if you unroot your device will the ol' techs at Samsung be aware of it?

You see I've run into this problem: I took some pictures, didn't upload them to my laptop or a cloud service and my phone RANDOMLY did a factory reset. (More like it powered off by itself and then when I turned it on everything was gone) Now in order to run decent recovery software for the pictures, I need root. But I also want to have my phone checked out for hardware faults.

I'd like to root, recover photos (or attempt to), unroot and give it to Sammy.

For the S5 is there anything I should be aware of while unrooting?

Thanks in advance!

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Not quite sure what that means.

It means that Samsung started using a protection method referred to as Knox. Rooting, installing custom ROMs or bricking your phone will usually trip the Knox counter which then burns a permanent qfuse. Trying to revert to stock after a qfuse is blown will still leave evidence that your phone was previously rooted.

If you root with Chainfire's mobile odin app, you may be able to avoid tripping the Knox counter. But it's not guaranteed. It's a cat and mouse game back and forth and whether your root is 100% revertible changes from time to time. Eventually someone will also mount a legal challenge to settle whether Samsung can void your warranty just because you rooted your phone. But in practical terms.. consider yourself warranty less if you trip the Knox counter on your phone.

Reactions: ellimistx99

ellimistx99

Jun 2, 2007
It means that Samsung started using a protection method referred to as Knox. Rooting, installing custom ROMs or bricking your phone will usually trip the Knox counter which then burns a permanent qfuse. Trying to revert to stock after a qfuse is blown will still leave evidence that your phone was previously rooted.

If you root with Chainfire's mobile odin app, you may be able to avoid tripping the Knox counter. But it's not guaranteed. It's a cat and mouse game back and forth and whether your root is 100% revertible changes from time to time. Eventually someone will also mount a legal challenge to settle whether Samsung can void your warranty just because you rooted your phone. But in practical terms.. consider yourself warranty less if you trip the Knox counter on your phone.

Darn,

Well then I suppose is there any thing I can do to try and recover my photo's?

johan81

Apr 18, 2011
Darn,

Where do you live? If you live in the Netherlands they will not void your warranty because of KNOX, this is proven in real cases now. If you live in another country, I do not know if the law is the same as here, but you should find that out before rooting of course ;)

Reactions: fffft

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Well, as suggested above.. if you happen to live in an European countries that has unusually strong consumer protections then it's moot. Otherwise do a search and find out whether other members with your exact firmware version are seeing their Knox counters tripped or not.

Breaking a hard drive seal would normally void a warranty. But Samsung will let authorized vendors break the seal for data recovery purposes. I'd imagine that they'd do the same for photos on a phone but only if you use an expensive third party vendor. If you're not in a Scandinavian country, not rich and have a very recent firmware.. you may have to choose between voiding your warranty and decent prospects of recovering your photos.

If you don't see any better prospects you may be able to run an ADB shell without root and possibly do a dd image of your deleted photos. It's key that it would be a raw sector by sector image, rather than a file by file process in the context of data recovery. And as an aside your phone should be turned off and collecting dust for the moment. Continuing to use your phone may dash any real recovery prospects.

Reactions: ellimistx99

ellimistx99

Jun 2, 2007
Well, as suggested above.. if you happen to live in an European countries that has unusually strong consumer protections then it's moot. Otherwise do a search and find out whether other members with your exact firmware version are seeing their Knox counters tripped or not.

Breaking a hard drive seal would normally void a warranty. But Samsung will let authorized vendors break the seal for data recovery purposes. I'd imagine that they'd do the same for photos on a phone but only if you use an expensive third party vendor. If you're not in a Scandinavian country, not rich and have a very recent firmware.. you may have to choose between voiding your warranty and decent prospects of recovering your photos.

If you don't see any better prospects you may be able to run an ADB shell without root and possibly do a dd image of your deleted photos. It's key that it would be a raw sector by sector image, rather than a file by file process in the context of data recovery. And as an aside your phone should be turned off and collecting dust for the moment. Continuing to use your phone may dash any real recovery prospects.

Sounds good will look into all that. I live in Malaysia at the moment so I guess I'll have to see what Samsung says about it. I suppose if I explain it to them they might understand.
Thanks man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not quite sure what that means.

Darn,

Where do you live? If you live in the Netherlands they will not void your warranty because of KNOX, this is proven in real cases now. If you live in another country, I do not know if the law is the same as here, but you should find that out before rooting of course ;)