HD Voice

Search This thread

id_twin

Nov 10, 2009
Denver, CO
So I know it order to take full advantage of this feature both phone require HD Voice -- But what about on our side? If we call someone, does the second microphone on top of the phone block out the background noise for the person on the other side of the call?

flex360

Sep 22, 2010
......... question when the phone isnt even out yet

*Mod Edit: lets try to be a little nicer next time to start...

Last edited by a moderator:

hshshawn

Jul 26, 2010
Columbus, Oh
plus.google.com
That is the idea behind the second microphone we will see how well it works with the Evo LTE once we get it.

As far as the HD Voice the tech behind it is called Wideband Audio and not only do both phones have to be using it but it is not native to to the network so Sprint has to deploy it market by market(Assuming they already are with Network Vision upgrades)so it will be a while before we really get to test it. Here is an article explaining the science behind it:

HD Voice

Reactions: Señor Poo

Señor Poo

Apr 15, 2012
That is the idea behind the second microphone we will see how well it works with the Evo LTE once we get it.

As far as the HD Voice the tech behind it is called Wideband Audio and not only do both phones have to be using it but it is not native to to the network so Sprint has to deploy it market by market(Assuming they already are with Network Vision upgrades)so it will be a while before we really get to test it. Here is an article explaining the science behind it:

HD Voice

I was not aware of this. Thanks.

dhruvmp

Oct 10, 2010
From the Engagdet test, it sounds like both sides need to have HD Voice. The idea is that it does ambient noise cancellation with the second mic, but this audio stream is "encoded" by your phone and only "decoded" by the receiving phone. I can only imagine that all to be a bunch of bs, but who knows, maybe its really just a digital stream of audio at some increased bitrate compared to a "regular" voice call. Sprint will supposedly be using this on a bunch of new handsets coming out soon...but that's all conjecture until we see the EVO Shift 4G LTE+ with more LTEness.

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
From the Engagdet test, it sounds like both sides need to have HD Voice. The idea is that it does ambient noise cancellation with the second mic, but this audio stream is "encoded" by your phone and only "decoded" by the receiving phone. I can only imagine that all to be a bunch of bs, but who knows, maybe its really just a digital stream of audio at some increased bitrate compared to a "regular" voice call. Sprint will supposedly be using this on a bunch of new handsets coming out soon...but that's all conjecture until we see the EVO Shift 4G LTE+ with more LTEness.

Thought I read that HTC wasn't doing keyboards anymore

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

dhruvmp

Oct 10, 2010
I totally made it up, wasn't trying to suggest that a physical keyboard device was coming out. God, next thing you know I am going to be quoted on Engadget for a possible rumor for the new EVO Shift 4G LTE. I guess I forgot the /s at the end...

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
I totally made it up, wasn't trying to suggest that a physical keyboard device was coming out. God, next thing you know I am going to be quoted on Engadget for a possible rumor for the new EVO Shift 4G LTE. I guess I forgot the /s at the end...

Lol that would be funny as hell

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

id_twin

Nov 10, 2009
Denver, CO
......... question when the phone isnt even out yet

*Mod Edit: lets try to be a little nicer next time to start...

Wow, really?..Obviously this question was not directed towards you, as you have very little to add to the forum. Whether the device is out or not, there are still plenty of people who have a better understanding on the actual way this feature works than I do.

As for everyone else, thanks for the feedback, especially the one from geek.com, I found that to be extremely informative.

Last edited:

HTCotta

May 14, 2008
I gotta assume the noise cancelling software runs even on non-HD-voice calls, right? I didn't think the dual mics was part of HD voice, just a normal feature on a flagship phone.

Sent from my HTC Speedy using XDA

MrSteez

Dec 21, 2012
Flagstaff
Anyone still remember the HD Voice that is supposed to be deployed "by the end of 2012?" Ha I was looking this up today but it seems like there's not really any news about it anymore it just kind of died off.

I still think it would be a really awesome feature though if it were to spread around...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Come on man..Unlike the Evo3D forums i'd hope we would all start to show each other some type of respect in the new forums..There was a better way to go about that.

Sent from my sticky fingered ice cream sandwich Evo 3D

true
    i apologize :)
    stupid question when the phone isnt even out yet

Come on man..Unlike the Evo3D forums i'd hope we would all start to show each other some type of respect in the new forums..There was a better way to go about that.

Sent from my sticky fingered ice cream sandwich Evo 3D

HD Voice