[Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

Search This thread

esok44

Feb 1, 2011
Hey man, I'm not totally useless. I know the bootloader is unlocked. I did manage to get that far. Give me a break, I'm used to my tandy 1000, cassette tape deck, b&w tv. Nice simple basic languages. Ha, ha, ha.
Starting to mess with Android Phones is really hard, i know ;)

I had to read looooots of tuts and ****, to know a littlebit what is going on inside my phone xD

Well, have you acquired root now, did everything work out fine? :D
I hope so :D

Greetz and have a nice day, Esok

jabeth407

Starting to mess with Android Phones is really hard, i know ;)

I had to read looooots of tuts and ****, to know a littlebit what is going on inside my phone xD

Well, have you acquired root now, did everything work out fine? :D
I hope so :D

Greetz and have a nice day, Esok

Yes, i did after a dozen or so attempts in a row using both matt's tool (drjbliss's process) and root android's process. Alternating the running of the batches until it took.

I can get back up to the last ICS build though. I believe I need to remove the safestrap utility in order to upgrade. I've uninstalled it but it is embedded in the system rom.

Any ideas?
JAB©

PantsDownJedi

Oct 30, 2011
We need a sticky thread, with someone willing to maintain it as development progresses, that explains the differences between various questions as they apply to the XT925 and the XT926. Its really annoying to continually run into misinformation, or posts like "I did it a bunch of times on my XT926, hit thanks if this was helpful" when the op is about the XT925.

I would do it but I'm new to Motorola and haven't used many of the tools. My previous phone experience with rooting has been either flashing a modified kernel from the running phone and reboot, adb sideload supersu.zip, install supersu.zip from stock recovery, etc. I never had to mess with fastboot and CWM was just a matter of rooting and installing it or installing a kernel that supported it as a replacement for stock recovery, and even loading it from the sdcard when needed from the stock recovery on a temporary basis.

In any case, it would be nice to have a thread to link to every time someone fails to read XT925 or XT926, or simply is unaware of the differences with what tools are available for them.

Ideally, there would be different sub-forums for the two different models given their own unique limitations at the current time.

Perhaps if a moderator agreed to sticky such a thread, then someone would volunteer to write it and maintain it?

To repeat, for the original poster, what others have said, Matts utility is exclusive to the XT926. The international version, the XT925, is clearly stated as not just unsupported, but specifically "will not work" on the XT925 at the time of this post. The only indication of development for the 925, by that developer, on the tool is that he doesn't consider the XT925 a "real Droid". There isn't anything definitive about it ever working for the 925 by the author, though his allusion doesn't mean he won't get bored and give it a go, or that someone else won't look at the work and figure it out.

Last edited:

jabeth407

I agree, the misinformation with smart phones in general is amazing. I haven't gotten any of my questions answered so its hard to find the truth.

I'm picking my way thru the operating system. I've got the developer kit, I'll start answering those questions.

GoClifGo05

Jul 1, 2012
Maryland
I understand it can be confusing but the problem is there are three different versions of the XT926. The consumer HD, Maxx HD and the developer HD... the reason you are seeing "this will work on the XT926 also" is because it will on the xt926 developer edition....

The XT925 + XT926 developer edition can be rooted directly on JB through TWRP or CWM.

Its not misinformation its just 4 different phones (XT925 and the 3 XT926's) all share one area as you said.... you just have to read carefully and ask if anything is unclear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jabeth407

Oh, that clears up a few things. I'll flash the recovery soon then. I had a helluva time getting root. That's before i learned the OS differences. I would like to see the exact process taken by this phone that allowed root. I past posted about it, using matt's tool. Amazing results! Happy days now, i do want to complete your process for custom recovery & install some better ROMs.

Simplicem Veritas, JAB©

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HELP!
    I have gone around with a motorola RAZR M only to be told by motorola that it couldn't be rooted. I have several posts in the general discussions area of the RAZR M. Motorola told me that I HAD to have a developer edition phone to unlock the bootloader. I did that. They told me that with the bootloader unlocked it would be considered rooted. That isn't true. I think I was misled or maybe uninformed. The phone that I got from them is a XT926dev. I voided the warranty, unlocked the bootloader and nothing has really changed. All the root dependent apps say it isn't rooted.
    What am I not doing that completes the root? I have root checker and it's sole requirement for root appears to be whether or not superuser and su.binary are installed in the root sectors. Can anybody lead me into the light? I'm scared of the dark.
    JAB©

You maybe have unlocked the Bootloader, but that does not necessary means, you are rooted.

First think on which Firmware is you XT926, is it on 4.0.4 or is it on 4.1.2

If you are on 4.0.4, read this Thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943851

If you are on 4.1.2 and your bootloader really is unlocked, read this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118483

If you are on 4.1.2 and your phone is VERIZON xt926 and your bootloader is locked:
    Try Matts Tool to downgrade. Then do the first step i mentioned

Next time please inform yourself about the things you want to do. This should be the first thing. If you dont know the difference between an unlocked bootloader and root access, you should propably not try to mess with these kind of things.

Maybe Motorola Service Workers aren't the right people to ask about stuff like that...

But well hope i helped you out of the dark, greetz Esok