[How-to] Quick Access to Nook Tablet's FACTORY RESET Screen [w/o "8 Failed Reboots"]

Search This thread

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
[How-to] Quick Access to Nook Tablet's FACTORY RESET Screen [w/o "8 Failed Reboots"]

This is an alternate method for accessing the Nook Tablet's Factory Reset screen. This may be used to access this area instead of using the "8 Failed Reboots" method.

I can confirm that this does work and I have tested it several times to verify that it would work every time. I take no credit for figuring out this factory reset method as it was dcnarad that seems to have stumbled upon it. I do take credit for figuring out exactly how it is to be performed and have reposted it below correctly. dcnarad's post here is a bit haphazard and it slightly missed the mark as to how this actually needs to be performed so as to get to the factory reset screen properly.

Perform Factory Reset of the Nook Tablet:
  • PWR off the Nook Tablet.
  • Hold "PWR" & "" & "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons simultaneously to reboot.
  • After reboot, release only the "PWR" & "" buttons after 2-3 seconds upon receiving the " - Contains Reader® Mobile technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated." screen while still maintaining to hold the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons.
  • The screen may blink a couple seconds later and then you will be presented with the Factory Reset screen with the following options:

• Do you want to reset your device to the factory default?
    • Press POWER key to exit
    • Press HOME key to continue
  • Are you sure?
    • This will delete all your content and restore the device to the factory default settings.
I even accidentally let go of the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons once while testing this a few times but quickly pushed them back down again and was still given the factory reset screen so this method works even with a little goof like that. This worked since holding down the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons was found to be unnecessary.

ENJOY!

NOTE: "HOME key" = button

NOTE 2: After some discussion with others, I decided to "take one for the team" and experiment with software version 1.4.1 update. I manually updated my Nook Tablet to software version 1.4.1 via the software download from BN.com. I applied the update, booted up software version 1.4.1 and then did a factory reset of the device afterwards. I have confirmed that once your NT has been updated to software version 1.4.1 then a factory reset afterwards will reset your NT to the new factory default settings of software version 1.4.1 and your NT will not revert to software version 1.4.0. It seems that B&N has pulled another fast one by over-writing the device's original factory software with this update. I was able to revert my NT to software version 1.4.0 via AdamOutler's Restore Barnes & Noble Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard afterwards with only a single issue. The button was not working after the device initially booted up into software version 1.4.0 [not uncommon] but after applying a second factory reset to my device, this issue was resolved.

Last edited:

cfoesch

Dec 27, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
This will reset the NT to the Factory Default that it was shipped with [currently B&N Software version 1.4.0] and root will no longer be available until you root the NT again.

This seems unclear. Is this the same as a recovery, and thus if you were patched to 1.4.1, you will reset to 1.4.1 with this method, or will this undo a 1.4.1 patch?

Elmar1801

Jan 26, 2008
NRW
I tried this method with cfoesch system on my nook and after the wipe the modified bootanimation i still there.

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
This thread is incorrect. You only need to hold power button and home button for factory reset. Factory reset does not wipe root. Anyone expecting to reroot will have problem.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I explain this what the start post is: an alternative easier way of make a hard reset AKA "8 failed reboot reset" which will reset the /system to factory NOT /data, for wipe data AKA erase/de-register for the nook AKA factory reset for most android devices you have to go to settings> device info > erase and de-register device.

* Hard reset - reset the /system folder to factory (removing gApps, restoring bloatware, removing root, etc)
* Factory reset - will wipe /data (All your installed apps will be gone)

Sent from XDA using one of my Android Toys :p

Last edited:

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
This thread is incorrect. You only need to hold power button and home button for factory reset. Factory reset does not wipe root. Anyone expecting to reroot will have problem.

This is confirmed and OP has been updated, thanks.

This method does wipe Indirect's current root method as per the OP. You'll need to justify your statement since it doesn't explain anything at all as to what you're referencing.

Last edited:

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
I explain this what the start post is: an alternative easier way of make a hard reset AKA "8 failed reboot reset" which will reset the /system to factory NOT /data, for wipe data AKA erase/de-register for the nook AKA factory reset for most android devices you have to go to settings> device info > erase and de-register device.

* Hard reset - reset the /system folder to factory (removing gApps, restoring bloatware, removing root, etc)
* Factory reset - will wipe /data (All your installed apps will be gone)

Sent from XDA using one of my Android Toys :p

V, this does indeed reset the /data... upon rebooting after this reset, the device must process registration once again, just as it did when it was pulled out of the box after purchase. I have reset my own device several times and every time I rebooted, it begins the registration process all over again, every time.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
V, this does indeed reset the /data... upon rebooting after this reset, the device must process registration once again, just as it did when it was pulled out of the box after purchase. I have reset my own device several times and every time I rebooted, it begins the registration process all over again, every time.

So this reset /system and /data at the same time? sure? so far both have not been mixed in Android world as far as i know :confused:, if this is the case which is weird then is super cool to have it and very helpful when you want to return back your NOOK

Reactions: DemonicPhantasm

nashdude

Dec 22, 2011
Is it just me or does NO ONE read anything anymore?

Sent from my Nook Tablet.

I think its more a testimony to folks coming into this with little or no understanding of Android and all the "buzz words" that go with rooting, etc. There's a learning curve there where people will see an answer, not understand it, fiddle fart around with the process for a bit and pick up a little experience, then have that AH HAH moment when they finally get what was being said. Problem is, it takes screwing something up twice or three times before they have that common frame of reference.

At least, that's how it was for me. It's getting easiER to find answers the longer that I'm here, but I can't say it's "easy" yet.

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 8)

Reactions: LoboJim

LacerdaPT

Sep 10, 2011
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Hi.

Just to post my experience.

I had a NT with 1.4.1 software version. I put the 1.4.0 back with AdamOutler method. Then I performed this method to Factory reset, I have gone through the registration. New NT. BUT when I go to check the version it says 1.4.0, which invalidates your NOTE 2, I believe.

Hope this helps, in some way

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
Hi.

Just to post my experience.

I had a NT with 1.4.1 software version. I put the 1.4.0 back with AdamOutler method. Then I performed this method to Factory reset, I have gone through the registration. New NT. BUT when I go to check the version it says 1.4.0, which invalidates your NOTE 2, I believe.

Hope this helps, in some way

It invalidates nothing. By your own admission, you reverted your NT to v1.4.0; hence, your factory reset will be v1.4.0. Read everything before making assumptions.

moukazwina

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks, this actually helped me. As I am absolutely new to the NT.
I tried to follow the new method for booting from the microSD card, but I could not complete the sequence because I was resetting it all the time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is an alternate method for accessing the Nook Tablet's Factory Reset screen. This may be used to access this area instead of using the "8 Failed Reboots" method.

I can confirm that this does work and I have tested it several times to verify that it would work every time. I take no credit for figuring out this factory reset method as it was dcnarad that seems to have stumbled upon it. I do take credit for figuring out exactly how it is to be performed and have reposted it below correctly. dcnarad's post here is a bit haphazard and it slightly missed the mark as to how this actually needs to be performed so as to get to the factory reset screen properly.

Perform Factory Reset of the Nook Tablet:
    • PWR off the Nook Tablet.
    • Hold "PWR" & "" & "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons simultaneously to reboot.
    • After reboot, release only the "PWR" & "" buttons after 2-3 seconds upon receiving the " - Contains Reader® Mobile technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated." screen while still maintaining to hold the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons.
    • The screen may blink a couple seconds later and then you will be presented with the Factory Reset screen with the following options:

• Do you want to reset your device to the factory default?
    • Are you sure?
      • This will delete all your content and restore the device to the factory default settings.
    I even accidentally let go of the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons once while testing this a few times but quickly pushed them back down again and was still given the factory reset screen so this method works even with a little goof like that. This worked since holding down the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons was found to be unnecessary.

ENJOY!

NOTE: "HOME key" = button

NOTE 2: After some discussion with others, I decided to "take one for the team" and experiment with software version 1.4.1 update. I manually updated my Nook Tablet to software version 1.4.1 via the software download from BN.com. I applied the update, booted up software version 1.4.1 and then did a factory reset of the device afterwards. I have confirmed that once your NT has been updated to software version 1.4.1 then a factory reset afterwards will reset your NT to the new factory default settings of software version 1.4.1 and your NT will not revert to software version 1.4.0. It seems that B&N has pulled another fast one by over-writing the device's original factory software with this update. I was able to revert my NT to software version 1.4.0 via AdamOutler's Restore Barnes & Noble Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard afterwards with only a single issue. The button was not working after the device initially booted up into software version 1.4.0 [not uncommon] but after applying a second factory reset to my device, this issue was resolved.
    I apologize if this is a dumb question, but does this undo root?

*** SEE NOTE 2 ABOVE ***

This will reset the NT to the Factory Default that it was shipped with [currently B&N Software version 1.4.0] and root will no longer be available until you root the NT again.
    As this is operations, and not development, I requested that it be moved to general. I also requested it be sticky'd

woot. post 3000.

So this reset /system and /data at the same time? sure? so far both have not been mixed in Android world as far as i know :confused:, if this is the case which is weird then is super cool to have it and very helpful when you want to return back your NOOK
    This seems unclear. Is this the same as a recovery, and thus if you were patched to 1.4.1, you will reset to 1.4.1 with this method, or will this undo a 1.4.1 patch?

*** SEE NOTE 2 in OP ***