Headphone jack 'too little'?

Search This thread

Aenima462

Aug 26, 2008
I've had my nexus 5 for a couple weeks now and started using it instead of my iPod classic for music since I can access all my songs at work through google play.. Well, when I do use my phone to listen, not only must I remove the official bumper case, but the tiniest little bump of the headphone jack will cause it to pop out. It's as if it is spring loaded and ready for the slightest touch. I'll have it in my pocket and if I get bumped, the music will shut off because the phone thinks the headphones have been taken out.

Anyone confirm this issue? Should I RMA? My headphones have a custom cable made using a Neutrik NTP3RC-B 3.5mm plug so it's not like the connector is crappy. It's a professional quality connector..

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I've had my nexus 5 for a couple weeks now and started using it instead of my iPod classic for music since I can access all my songs at work through google play.. Well, when I do use my phone to listen, not only must I remove the official bumper case, but the tiniest little bump of the headphone jack will cause it to pop out. It's as if it is spring loaded and ready for the slightest touch. I'll have it in my pocket and if I get bumped, the music will shut off because the phone thinks the headphones have been taken out.

Anyone confirm this issue? Should I RMA? My headphones have a custom cable made using a Neutrik NTP3RC-B 3.5mm plug so it's not like the connector is crappy. It's a professional quality connector..

If there's nothing stuck in the jack, There could be a chance that the custom plug is not thick enough, or too short as well, I'm able to try 3 different
Headphones on 2 nexuses 5 and all combinations click in strongly. The cases i use have a big aperture though.
Try with another headphones before anything.

Aenima462

Aug 26, 2008
Here are two different plugs. One being the culprit, one being a $2 cheap cord that indeed plugs in fine. The neutrik adapter doesn't seem to click flush like the cheap cable.. Don't understand why, they are the same length.. :(

uploadfromtaptalk1393968555623.jpg

Seems tapatalk compresses photos so sorry it is so small

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stealyourface

Oct 19, 2007
VA Beach
Here are two different plugs. One being the culprit, one being a $2 cheap cord that indeed plugs in fine. The neutrik adapter doesn't seem to click flush like the cheap cable.. Don't understand why, they are the same length.. :(

View attachment 2613529

Seems tapatalk compresses photos so sorry it is so small

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like that dome it has at the base of the connector isn't agreeing with the N5's socket. Guess an option would be to use an adapter. I use a portable amp myself so I never encounter this problem.

Aenima462

Aug 26, 2008
Looks like that dome it has at the base of the connector isn't agreeing with the N5's socket. Guess an option would be to use an adapter. I use a portable amp myself so I never encounter this problem.

Makes sense. Kinda crappy. I noticed inside the headphone jack at the bottom there is a little piece of blue plastic which has some marks in it from the headphone plug. I'm guessing this is preventing it from clicking fully, but I also assume that it is there to keep dust/dirt out of the inside of the phone.

Every phone I've ever owned always has some issue with the headphone jack that drives me crazy. I don't have the need for a headphone amp as I use Shure SE535 IEM's which are insanely easy to drive. I'll just stick with my 160GB iPod :)