Weak Wifi Signal Hardware Fault

Search This thread

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Hi all,

Over on the international One X forum, we have a lot of people confirming a serious hardware fault where the wifi contact pins fail to connect to the antenna.

I am curious if this fault affects your s4 at&t version of the phone too.

There is a simple squeeze test you can do to check for the fault.

See the link here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688538

Fingers crossed your not affected by it.

Oliver

*EDIT* HTC have confirmed the issue only affects the international HOX and the feedback this thread received seems to prove them correct. Great news. *EDIT-END*

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: creeseph

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
This applies to the AT&T and Rogers One X. If your phone has signal gain when you press on the wifi antenna area of the case, it's defective and will eventually lose connection completely over time, so get it replaced on warranty.

kleeman7

Nov 4, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S20
That's not what he was saying, he was just wondering if we had the issue. I can't get mine to drop below full signal with.WiFi, unless I go for a walk outside. So it isn't effexting my phone.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
This applies to the AT&T and Rogers One X. If your phone has signal gain when you press on the wifi antenna area of the case, it's defective and will eventually lose connection completely over time, so get it replaced on warranty.

So this fault does applie to the at & t Rogers version? Yes if anyone does suffer this fault, get it replaced or repaired.

Have you been affected by the issue?

Cheers for your feedback

Sent from my HTC Desire

Last edited:

corythug

Aug 2, 2011
PA
Thus far I cannot replicate this on my phone. Will test further later.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ws2112

May 12, 2012
my question is, how do we know when our phones will start acting up? Even if we exchange the phone, then there's still the likelihood that the new phone'd also have problems. Unless, HTC already has made some design changes to the newly imported batch (doubt it)

p/s: I have also not seen wifi issues with my phone. But I'll give it some more observations. Then again, I exchanged a HOX before because it couldn't keep a constant signal. So who knows..

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
my question is, how do we know when our phones will start acting up? Even if we exchange the phone, then there's still the likelihood that the new phone'd also have problems. Unless, HTC already has made some design changes to the newly imported batch (doubt it)

p/s: I have also not seen wifi issues with my phone. But I'll give it some more observations. Then again, I exchanged a HOX before because it couldn't keep a constant signal. So who knows..

It may not affect s4 versions at all, it is currently confirmed to affect the international version of the One X, I want to see if other phones are affected too.

The mostly likely causes of the problem are 1. Overheating and 2. The wifi connection pins getting squashed flat whilst your phone is in your pocket.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Reactions: ws2112

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011

If reception is poor and improves when you push the case where wifi antennas are placed, you have a defective unit and you should get a replacement immediately.

starter15

Sep 10, 2010
damn i just sent my phone in for repairs because of a camera issue. i was experiencing the wifi signal drop prior to sending it in, but thinking it was a software problem. now, when i get my phone back ill most likely have to send it in again for repairs.:mad:

dufort

May 11, 2012
I believe our phones have the sam issue, when I press down I believe I do have an increased signal. Thanks for the heads up :/

-duf

creeseph

Jun 15, 2011
Surrey
It did increase my signal as well. It was struggling to connect where gnex used to have no problems and this corrected it.

sega_102

Feb 21, 2012
I was having the same problem with my ATT HTC One X.

I couldn't connect in places where my iPhone had 2 (out of 3) bars of wifi.

Unfortunately, it was a big enough deal to send the phone back. I thought they all did this.

Cryosx

Jul 19, 2010
If I don't have best wifi performance enabled my wifi is very flaky. It'll lose connection when it has full bars. But with best wifi on it can get about what I can get with my gsii (slightly worse)

Last edited:

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Ugh... This isn't a thread about whether the phone has flakey WiFi, it's about whether you can make your WiFi signal change if you squeeze the phone.

For what its worth, mine doesn't seem to change if I lightly squeeze it. I dont really feel like pressing it hard enough to f up the screen though, so maybe you'll have different results...

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Ugh... This isn't a thread about whether the phone has flakey WiFi, it's about whether you can make your WiFi signal change if you squeeze the phone.

For what its worth, mine doesn't seem to change if I lightly squeeze it. I dont really feel like pressing it hard enough to f up the screen though, so maybe you'll have different results...

You don't have the fault then, if you had it you'd get 0-1 bars only around 8 meters away from your router with no walls between, whilst other phones enjoy full bars at that distance. Light squeeze the antenna part of the phone and the reception indicates full bars.

This fault affects bluetooth and battery performance too. It is really bad for anyone who has it. I'm glad you don't have it, but please, Don't make out that this is normal behaviour when squeezed.

My other thread has had 15000 views 200 comments. 7 different YouTube videos from 6 different members of xda forums, 7 self repair guides by 7 of our members taking their phones apart (all confirming it fixed their wifi) and countless people returning their phones for repair.

I only started the thread on 4 days ago. The popularity of the thread indicates what a serious issue it is on the international One X. If your s4 One X's don't suffer the issue or not as bad, it might give us a clue to what is wrong with ours.

Send from my old trusty Desire, untill I get my poorly One X back.

Last edited:

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
My phone was shipped to HTC for repair a week ago before I knew of this issue. When I saw this thread it made complete sense. My glass in one corner was separated from the actual device enough that light from the screen escaped out of it. I had absolutely no wifi. Still waiting to hear what HTC says. They received the phone a couple days ago. I'll report back on what they say about this.

Reactions: bigoliver

jordant2

Jun 5, 2007
Newbury Park
I just bought mine yesterday and it seems to have pretty good wifi reception. It can detect almost every network in range that my laptop detects but shows a weaker signal for them. Connects to my own wifi with full bars when close and loses a connection in the same area of the house that my galaxy note did. So I'd have to say the new batch have no wifi issues that I'm aware of.

Cryosx

Jul 19, 2010
I just bought mine yesterday and it seems to have pretty good wifi reception. It can detect almost every network in range that my laptop detects but shows a weaker signal for them. Connects to my own wifi with full bars when close and loses a connection in the same area of the house that my galaxy note did. So I'd have to say the new batch have no wifi issues that I'm aware of.

Is this with best wifi performance enabled or disable?

Reactions: jordant2

jordant2

Jun 5, 2007
Newbury Park

Had to give you a thanks, I didn't even know there was a best wifi option! I just checked the wifi setings and it's off. So this is my normal signal strength. I just checked best wifi and one of the signals it picked up was stronger. Mine is a full signal so I can't tell the difference. My daughter's room is the worst reception but it's 1:30AM so I won't test it on best right now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Over on the international One X forum, we have a lot of people confirming a serious hardware fault where the wifi contact pins fail to connect to the antenna.

I am curious if this fault affects your s4 at&t version of the phone too.

There is a simple squeeze test you can do to check for the fault.

See the link here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688538

Fingers crossed your not affected by it.

Oliver

*EDIT* HTC have confirmed the issue only affects the international HOX and the feedback this thread received seems to prove them correct. Great news. *EDIT-END*

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

It may not affect s4 versions at all, it is currently confirmed to affect the international version of the One X, I want to see if other phones are affected too.

The mostly likely causes of the problem are 1. Overheating and 2. The wifi connection pins getting squashed flat whilst your phone is in your pocket.

Sent from my HTC Desire
    My phone was shipped to HTC for repair a week ago before I knew of this issue. When I saw this thread it made complete sense. My glass in one corner was separated from the actual device enough that light from the screen escaped out of it. I had absolutely no wifi. Still waiting to hear what HTC says. They received the phone a couple days ago. I'll report back on what they say about this.