[Q] Buying an S4 tomorrow. Is it real or fake?

Search This thread

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006
I'm buying a t-mobile galaxy s4 tomorrow, I got to check the phone out today. It starts up with a t-mobile boot animation and shuts down with one.
The "about phone" section said it's an SGH-M919 and something like android version 4.2.2 XXXXXXXMDL. Other than that, how can I tell that this is a legit samsung galaxy s4 for t-mobile?

boot animations can be flashed to any phone, and I'm pretty sure the "about phone" info can be spoofed as well.

Without downloading any apps, how can I tell it's real?

Thanks in advance, hope to join this section tomorrow.:cowboy:

re: phone purchase

I'm buying a t-mobile galaxy s4 tomorrow, I got to check the phone out today. It starts up with a t-mobile boot animation and shuts down with one.
The "about phone" section said it's an SGH-M919 and something like android version 4.2.2 XXXXXXXMDL. Other than that, how can I tell that this is a legit samsung galaxy s4 for t-mobile?

boot animations can be flashed to any phone, and I'm pretty sure the "about phone" info can be spoofed as well.

Check the IMEI number which is in "about" and call Tmobile to see if it's been blacklisted.
Also very important, bring a Tmobile sim card with you when you go to buy the phone and
make sure you can make and receive calls properly and make sure the audio sounds normal.

You can google the internet and search for "check imei" and it will tell you if the phone has
been reported stolen or something.
All you gotta do on the website is input the numbers in "about phone" imei and you can also
find the imei behind the battery as well as pasted onto it's original retail box.

Good luck!

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore

The best advice I can give you is don't do it.

Don't try to save a buck. Go to the store and buy a brand new one.

There are just too many scams out there around used S4's. Even if it's a completely legit phone today, the seller could report it stolen next month and get a replacement for the cost of the deductable. Then your 'new' phone will suddenly have a blacklisted IMEI. We've seen this scam reported here dozens of times.

There are also so many other things that could be wrong. It might be a legit S4 that has some other flaw you wouldn't notice until you use it regularly, like a funky GPS that only works occasionally or some other thing.

Unless you are getting it for like $100 or something that's not too big of a risk, go to the store and pay full price. The security that comes with that is well worth the extra money.

So much can go wrong with a deal like this.

At least if it's on eBay or Swapa or somethign you have some buyer protections. But paying cash from 'some guy' is putting ALL of the risk on you.

If you MUST do this, pick it up from the seller's house. Make it clear that you know where he lives and you'll call the cops if anything goes funky later.

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006

There are just too many scams out there around used S4's. Even if it's a completely legit phone today, the seller could report it stolen next month and get a replacement for the cost of the deductable. Then your 'new' phone will suddenly have a blacklisted IMEI. We've seen this scam reported here dozens of times.

There are also so many other things that could be wrong. It might be a legit S4 that has some other flaw you wouldn't notice until you use it regularly, like a funky GPS that only works occasionally or some other thing.

Unless you are getting it for like $100 or something that's not too big of a risk, go to the store and pay full price. The security that comes with that is well worth the extra money.

At least if it's on eBay or Swapa or somethign you have some buyer protections. But paying cash from 'some guy' is putting ALL of the risk on you.

If you MUST do this, pick it up from the seller's house. Make it clear that you know where he lives and you'll call the cops if anything goes funky later.

the phone is at an electronics store, where they sell used items (computers, laptops, xbox, games, tons of blu ray movies, tv's). they have a guarantee the phone won't be reported stolen/blacklisted or they will replace it. they also give a 14 day warranty.

I just want to look for specific characteristics or features that the real S4 has, that I can look at and check. (just in case they got ripped off, although i don't think thats the choice since they have the means to imei look up and check. but those can be spoofed/changed as well)

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
Look at the battery. Look at the back cover. Flip through the operating system. But, I'd say it sounds real unless you are in China. Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
the phone is at an electronics store, where they sell used items (computers, laptops, xbox, games, tons of blu ray movies, tv's). they have a guarantee the phone won't be reported stolen/blacklisted or they will replace it. they also give a 14 day warranty.

I just want to look for specific characteristics or features that the real S4 has, that I can look at and check. (just in case they got ripped off, although i don't think thats the choice since they have the means to imei look up and check. but those can be spoofed/changed as well)

That's a different story altogether. Just make sure it's a reputable business. Find reviews of them on the internet and stuff like that. (And make sure all teh positive reviews don't read like they were written by the same person.)

And pay with a credit card. That will give you additional protections in case there is a problem.

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006
Well I went back to get the phone, and the guy who helped me today was a total D-bag. Spoke to me as if I was wasting his time and my money was no good. Also, "magically", The price went up 30 bux, was asking $379 yesterday (phone only, no charger or anything). So it was at that time while he was answering my questions and trying to help someone else I just walked out. Drove to a t-mobile store and my gf paid the remaining costs of a brand new off contract gs4 (early bday gift), Got a case, screen protector, then headed over to walmart and got a san-disk 64gb sdxc red/grey.
Haven't really set up the phone yet, I did test the data speeds and OMFG it's a huge step up from a galaxy s2, I was unaware I had LTE in my area lolz.

So, Now I have a brand new white (like I love my women) Galaxy S4. I guess I lucked out because mine was not updated to 4.3 out of the box, it's on 4.2.2 MDL.

Sup brothas! :D

I'll report back after I get setup and what not. Now it's time to celebrate new years. Be safe everyone!

EDIT: Oh, thanks for answering my questions fellas. I appreciate all the help and advice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.