SmartBoot - Bootmanager for WM6.5 .NET3.5

Search This thread

AndiCP

Feb 17, 2009
www.smartsolutions.net.tf
Hi guys,

as I've been around for a while, I decided to share a bit of my work with you, too.
So feel free and use this small program if you like. No warranties as usal from my side.

This Bootmanager has a quite intuitive UI. You get an quick overview of the phone status and can select your boot profiles which you can manage inside the UI as you like (see screen shots below).

Additionally you can have voice announcements, SenseUI control, easy backup & restore of startup folder and program settings and an extended information screen. On this info panel you can find all important information about your phone.

This app only requires .NET CF 3.5 to be installed on your device.

The Pattern of the folder structure is always "\_AutoStart_" & selected Foldername. You can change the folder names in the UI settings tab. The folder "_AutoStart_Backup" is created by the program if you back up your current folder. All other "_AutoStart_" & X folders are created initially, but you want to choose which startup links are in there (folder names are case sensitive!). Just ensure the "X" matches your folder name in the ui settings for this specific button exactly. The default buttons are for Sense UI and XDAndroid. Their respective folder names (in the settings tab) are "Sense" and "Android", therefor I have "_AutoStart_Sense" and "_AutoStart_Android" folders on the root of my phone. In the "_AutoStart_Common" folder you have all the shortcuts which have to start no matter which profile is selected.

Tipp:
I have overclocked my device continously (stable) using this method (with this App) and with SmartBoot I can easily select between OC and non-OC configurations.
For your convenience this Windows Mobile® freeware app supports AppToDate, an easy to use application update program. You can obtain it freely from here.

Please download from Post #2.

Thanks to eboelzner for his great Sense SDK!

Last edited:
Reactions: zmartic

AndiCP

Feb 17, 2009
Download:

Download SmartBoot only here please. (Please no mirrors or similar!)

Please feel free to leave a comment or bugs found.

PS: I will not provide any localization support. Just english language.
If you want I can create a "Light" Version without sounds and stuff, just mention it.
Also if there is demand for it I could create a step-by-step guide.

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
Download:

Download SmartBoot only here please. (Please no mirrors or similar!)

Please feel free to leave a comment or bugs found.

PS: I will not provide any localization support. Just english language.
If you want I can create a "Light" Version without sounds and stuff, just mention it.
Also if there is demand for it I could create a step-by-step guide.

Would be nice if we could download it from there. Tried for 30 min but not possible.

psophan

Oct 30, 2009
phnom penh
wow

Hi guys,

as I've been around for a while, I decided to share a bit of my work with you, too.
So feel free and use this small program if you like. No warranties as usal from my side.

This Bootmanager has a quite intuitive UI. You get an quick overview of the phone status and can select your boot profiles which you can manage inside the UI as you like (see screen shots below).

Additionally you can have voice announcements and an extended information screen. On this info panel you can find all important information about your phone.

I wanted to give the community something back, even though it is not much.
But maybe somebody finds it useful, I just thought I could share. Enjoy! :)
And please don't be too harsh as this is my first publication. There are more to come if it goes smoothly.

big thank:D

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
This promises to be a great app.

Would you consider adding a "safe mode" boot option with it? Just wondering.

And thank you very much for sharing.

AndiCP

Feb 17, 2009
Thank you for your kind feedback

This promises to be a great app.

Would you consider adding a "safe mode" boot option with it? Just wondering.

And thank you very much for sharing.

You currently have two options for a safe mode:

1. Tap "Do nothing" at the initial screen (will exit immediatly -> no boot programs)
2. go to settings and enable "Confirmation", then click the button of your desired boot environment (and you can decide on each short cut -> safe mode).

@All: Thanks for your kind feedback! You are welcome!

PS: If you choose option 2 from above and tap no for at least one shortcut, you will get an "Ooops! Something went wrong!" message at the end.
You can ignore this, as it simply means not all shortcuts got executed. ;)

Last edited:

twoply

Jul 31, 2007
MKE
Installed .cab, soft reset, error:

SmartBoot.exe
DirectoryNotFoundException

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String fullPath, Boolean file)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path, String searchPattern)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern)
at SmartBoot.Form1.Check()
at SmartBoot.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify(Boolean fVis)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
at SmartBoot.Form1.Main()

on TMOUS HD2 2.08 stock rom
?

mr.First

Mar 22, 2009
Installed .cab, soft reset, error:

SmartBoot.exe
DirectoryNotFoundException

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String fullPath, Boolean file)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path, String searchPattern)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern)
at SmartBoot.Form1.Check()
at SmartBoot.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify(Boolean fVis)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
at SmartBoot.Form1.Main()

on TMOUS HD2 2.08 stock rom
?

I've got the same problem.

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi AndiCP,

i think you have forgotten the xml file. I mean: \Application Data\SmartBoot\Configuration.xml

I have made a empty file. Then the message is:

Fehler: There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

OK, that's clear.

Next point: you have written that you support only english, no problem.
But Fehler in the popup's is german ;). Please fix it. And also upload an XML file please.

Also the \_AutoStart_ folders are not created automaticly. Is this the way how should be?
Have we to do this on our own, or is this a litlle bug we have found ?;)

BTW:
i have allways installed the right .NET version from MS.

EDIT 1:
you say on your private website that the folder names are case sensitive.
Then it must be: _AutoStart_Backup
In your screenshot: _Autostart_Backup

Sorry to say that the app is NOT working on my phone at this moment.
And i'am not alone. There are more people with problems. Please fix it.

At least sense gives problems on restart the phone.
I had to de-install the good idea app. Also some strange problems
on de-installtion. It was not possible. Only with many know how
i was able to de-install it.

Last edited:

AndiCP

Feb 17, 2009
I've got the same problem.

Hello twoply and mr.First,
your program error probably comes from a different Startup folder or restricted access to it.
I can't reproduce this error, but I guessed and put an additional entry into the registry ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartBoot\Autostart_Folder").
If your folder is not "\Windows\AutoStart\" you can enter another path there.
I also added a reg key to customize the initial sound file ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartBoot\Sound_Load").
Please download the updated version.
Further you don't have to softreset in order to try or set things up, just go to your start menu and use the shortcut.
Finally I hope this helps you, please report your results here.

Hi AndiCP,

i think you have forgotten the xml file. I mean: \Application Data\SmartBoot\Configuration.xml

I have made a empty file. Then the message is:

OK, that's clear.

Next point: you have written that you support only english, no problem.
But Fehler in the popup's is german ;). Please fix it. And also upload an XML file please.

Also the \_AutoStart_ folders are not created automaticly. Is this the way how should be?
Have we to do this on our own, or is this a litlle bug we have found ?;)

BTW:
i have allways installed the right .NET version from MS.

EDIT 1:
you say on your private website that the folder names are case sensitive.
Then it must be: _AutoStart_Backup
In your screenshot: _Autostart_Backup

Sorry to say that the app is NOT working on my phone at this moment.
And i'am not alone. There are more people with problems. Please fix it.

At least sense gives problems on restart the phone.
I had to de-install the good idea app. Also some strange problems
on de-installtion. It was not possible. Only with many know how
i was able to de-install it.

Hello mike2nl,
first of all "Fehler" means "Error". ;)
Second, "Configuration.xml" not found comes from the SmartBoot Directory not being created properly. (Bug: Updated version 1.01 fixes this, then you will also have all the other folders created automatically on first launch).
Third, "AutoStart" is correct whereas in the screen shot you saw before was a left-over of an earlier version, which doesn't matter, because if it wouldn't be found it will be created during backup process anyway.
Last but not least, I can say nothing about "strange problems".

Thanks for your feedback!

Please download the updated version 1.01 or just run AppToDate ;)

Last edited:

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi AndiCP,

thanks for your fast reaction. I will test it again now. Downloaded and then install it. Will report later here....

EDIT 1:
after installing the app and two times a soft reset the app blocks sense more then once. Strange...
I had to de-install the little app. This was an adventure again. All known ways are not working.
Only massive working in the windows folder and registry cleaning has helped out of that issue.

On which system you have developed thius app? If there something special done for the SonyEricson?

EDIT 2:
after re-install the application i had denite the folder move for the autostart things. Strange, because
then the app will workig. If i have selected Sense UI i get an error message:
Ooops, something went wrong
Is this normal? Why you say it is something went wrong? But so far so good. Will test further now.

EDIT 3 (info only):
i have changed the autostart folder in the cab from \Windows\Auto Start to \Windows\Opstarten (dutch version) ;)

EDIT 4 (question):
Have we to copy the apps/shortcuts for the \_AutoStart_xxx\ folders on uor own?
- if the answer yes, no problem (i think thats the way for now)
- if the answer no, then is something wrong
Possible you can think about that issue for a future version of your helpfull app.
Further i think you must add the descirption from your private website here to the first post:
The Pattern is always "\_AutoStart_" & selected Foldername. You can change the folder names in the UI settings tab. The folder "_AutoStart_Backup" is created by the program if you back up your current folder. All other "_AutoStart_" & X folders are created initially, but you want to choose which startup links are in there (folder names are case sensitive!). Just ensure the "X" matches your folder name in the ui settings for this specific button exactly. The default buttons are for Sense UI and XDAndroid. Their respective folder names (in the settings tab) are "Sense" and "Android", therefor I have "_AutoStart_Sense" and "_AutoStart_Android" folders on the root of my phone. In the "_AutoStart_Common" folder you have all the shortcuts which have to start no matter which profile is selected.

Last edited:

mr.First

Mar 22, 2009
Hello twoply and mr.First,
your program error probably comes from a different Startup folder or restricted access to it.
I can't reproduce this error, but I guessed and put an additional entry into the registry ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartBoot\Autostart_Folder").
If your folder is not "\Windows\AutoStart\" you can enter another path there.
I also added a reg key to customize the initial sound file ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartBoot\Sound_Load").
Please download the updated version.
Further you don't have to softreset in order to try or set things up, just go to your start menu and use the shortcut.
Finally I hope this helps you, please report your results here.

Thank you for updating application.

Indeed, my Startup folder has another name. I changed the path in the registry, and now everything works.

AndiCP

Feb 17, 2009
Hi AndiCP,

thanks for your fast reaction. I will test it again now. Downloaded and then install it. Will report later here....

EDIT 1:
after installing the app and two times a soft reset the app blocks sense more then once. Strange...
I had to de-install the little app. This was an adventure again. All known ways are not working.
Only massive working in the windows folder and registry cleaning has helped out of that issue.

On which system you have developed thius app? If there something special done for the SonyEricson?

EDIT 2:
after re-install the application i had denite the folder move for the autostart things. Strange, because
then the app will workig. If i have selected Sense UI i get an error message:

Is this normal? Why you say it is something went wrong? But so far so good. Will test further now.

EDIT 3 (info only):
i have changed the autostart folder in the cab from \Windows\Auto Start to \Windows\Opstarten (dutch version) ;)

EDIT 4 (question):
Have we to copy the apps/shortcuts for the \_AutoStart_xxx\ folders on uor own?
- if the answer yes, no problem (i think thats the way for now)
- if the answer no, then is something wrong
Possible you can think about that issue for a future version of your helpfull app.
Further i think you must add the descirption from your private website here to the first post:

to Edit 1: I can't reproduce and never had something like that, sounds like you have problems in your rom anyway as you are the only one reporting this.
Info: Its a simple and standard setup cab (auto generated). Nothing special or changed, it only copies the files. It works the same way on every windows mobile version.

to Edits 2&3: as I said, please check your Autostart folder and change it accordingly.

to Edit 4: Yes. I won't ever include a filemanager! ;)

Last edited:

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi AndiCP,

i have downloaded the last version yesterday. Installed it and it is running.
At now withour any issue. I think the changings are the solution. But with
un-installation i have my issues. Also when sense is off. But that is not
really a big issue, yet. I will test this again after the next hard reset.
I think this comes with the next CHT test. We, the team, are really haevy busy :).

So far, excellent app, that helps me to organize my startup issues on all
CHT (e, s, ...) issues. Thanks for that. That brings us a good effort.
Will report this to co0kie (CHT) and Dark Ninja (GTX).

BTW:
possible you can tell me (PM) where you get or has made the sound files.
I will change something for my needs :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

Additionally you can have voice announcements, SenseUI control, easy backup & restore of startup folder and program settings and an extended information screen. On this info panel you can find all important information about your phone.

The Pattern of the folder structure is always "\_AutoStart_" & selected Foldername. You can change the folder names in the UI settings tab. The folder "_AutoStart_Backup" is created by the program if you back up your current folder. All other "_AutoStart_" & X folders are created initially, but you want to choose which startup links are in there (folder names are case sensitive!). Just ensure the "X" matches your folder name in the ui settings for this specific button exactly. The default buttons are for Sense UI and XDAndroid. Their respective folder names (in the settings tab) are "Sense" and "Android", therefor I have "_AutoStart_Sense" and "_AutoStart_Android" folders on the root of my phone. In the "_AutoStart_Common" folder you have all the shortcuts which have to start no matter which profile is selected.

Tipp:
    I have overclocked my device continously (stable) using this method (with this App) and with SmartBoot I can easily select between OC and non-OC configurations.
    For your convenience this Windows Mobile® freeware app supports AppToDate, an easy to use application update program. You can obtain it freely from here.