Market enabler for WIFI Xoom?

Search This thread

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
Isnt there a way to trick Android Market for wifi devices? Market enabler only seems to work for device with mobile internet (3g, gsm etc).

Any one have an idea?

eusthebest

Jan 18, 2009
I am not sure what you mean, Android's Market its fully functional and available out of the box with the WiFi Xoom.

musashiken

Feb 22, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
I am not sure what you mean, Android's Market its fully functional and available out of the box with the WiFi Xoom.

There are apps that can only be downloaded by US Android users. Like Google Books, Earth, Kindle just to name a few. People outside US are not able to download such apps because they are country restricted. This means that google identifies the country the device is in by checking the Carrier ID of the phone through the sim card. So some folks have made the app Market Enabler to allow rooted 3G phones to emulate a US Carrier thus bypassing the country check and enabling non US folks to download those apps.

Seems like this doesn't work for wifi only devices since there's no sim card id in the first place.

Last edited:

gigafast

Jul 11, 2007
yes, i'm looking for something similar. there should be a way to allow mock locations with the xoom wifi and make it think that its in a different area than it actually is.

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
Exactly, It's a suprise that there isn't such a thing considering the steady stream of wifi only devices being sold outside the US. A huge market that can add some additonal support to devs for there hardwork. We really need this.

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
More info that I found on another forum that might be helpfull. Any idea if this will this work?

I got the US apps working too!

I replaced the build.prop file

adb pull /sytem/build.prop d:\

Make a backup of this

Download the file below

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6763988/build.prop.zip

adb push build.prop system/

reboot the xoom

Download paid apps enabler: http://www.cohortor.org/paidappsenab...abler_v1.1.apk

Set the country as Us T-mobile

Got to Application settings and and clear data

Restart Market

eusthebest

Jan 18, 2009
There are apps that can only be downloaded by US Android users. Like Google Books, Earth, Kindle just to name a few. People outside US are not able to download such apps because they are country restricted. This means that google identifies the country the device is in by checking the Carrier ID of the phone through the sim card. So some folks have made the app Market Enabler to allow rooted 3G phones to emulate a US Carrier thus bypassing the country check and enabling non US folks to download those apps.

Seems like this doesn't work for wifi only devices since there's no sim card id in the first place.
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
Succes!!!

This worked. I used root explorer to copy the 3G Xoom Build prop and now I have a fully working market and was finally able to purchase Tweetcomb.

Last edited:

huzz

Apr 1, 2005
AlAin
Its funny but I just used market enabler and it worked. Didn't have to replace any files :/

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
Strange, didnt work for me and many others.. supposedly works with gsm so only for 3g models

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
Guys, just try replacing build.prop for the 3g model...which I posted in this thread. but remember to keep a copy of your original build.prop.
Also you need a rooted XOom. JUst copy and replace the build.prop file and restart.

To get the special optimized tablet section in market you need a VPN connection.

gigafast

Jul 11, 2007
Okay. I was able to get the file replaced using Root Explorer.

Market Enabler will work with the new build.prop.

Last edited:

blue13x

Apr 28, 2011
i used root explorer....copy the modified one and paste in system to replace. Before pasting choose mount R/w

Dark lord me

Apr 16, 2011
Surrey
i have a wifi transformer and want to get the Amazon marketolsce but I can't is there anyway that I can do this without rooting? I can't use market enabler because it doesn't have a sim any and all help would be nice :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you also buy apps if you are not in US?

Where can i find the 3.1 build.prop of a verizon xoom? Does it mess up anything else?

Will post it later today.
    I own a 3.1 rooted wifi only Xoom running BRD's 1.4.3 Tiamat kernel.

I finished completing these steps from this thread to try and enable marketenabler. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in this constant reboot now after the Moto logo.

I tried pressed volume up as soon as the Moto logo appeared, and the 'starting fastboot......' shows up but just hangs there. Has it anything to do with changing my build.prop?

These are the steps I followed from a fellow poster. Not your fault mate. :)

**Ok, first of all, xoom must be rooted
    Download verizon 3G build.prop from here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6763988/build.prop.zip
    Make a backup system/build.prop
    Use, root explorer or adb to replace build.prop in system/
    go to settings/application and clear data for market
    Install marketenabler
    Restart Xoom
    Now open marketenabler, set to t-mobile us, start market end voila**

Would anyone be kind enough to help me?
    Use the build.prop I just uploaded. You used the one for 3.01, I uploaded the one for 3.1