Dead Bionic...Not thrilled to be the first..

Search This thread

arcopress

Dec 26, 2010
Hiya...

Rooted/Nandroid with Bootstrapped Recovery..

I was in the car today,device charged about 40%, noticed the Bionic (for the first time) spontaneously booted. Got the boot screen icon, then black.
Went home, pulled the battery, put in the dock, nothing. Battery back in, nothing.
I think I've eliminated the battery as the cause.

Called Verizon, level 2 tech, offered to send a replacement; I opted to go the the brick and mortar store in the AM so as not to wait for 2 days.
Three questions:
Any chance that this is software related? Rooting app or Bootstrap app related? I think not, as in the dock without a battery it should at least start to light up, no?

If I'm correct, am I in jeopardy of voiding my warranty as the phone's rooted? (Not that they could tell).. ?

Anything else to try b4 swapping the phone?

Thx
Alan

unremarked

Jun 18, 2009
Out There
Any chance that this is software related? Rooting app or Bootstrap app related? I think not, as in the dock without a battery it should at least start to light up, no?

No, MOST* smart phones cannot run on AC power alone. They require some charge on the battery in order to boot.

*added the emphasis before someone comes running in because their OG Droid/Nexus One/RAZR/POS flip phone/whatever could run off AC power alone.

If I'm correct, am I in jeopardy of voiding my warranty as the phone's rooted? (Not that they could tell).. ?

Rooting your device may void your warranty. Most of the time if it's a physical problem and not related to software, the warranty will still be honored. However, it'll probably be an uphill fight.

Anything else to try b4 swapping the phone?

I'd try to get ahold of another battery. I'm willing to bet that yours is defective.

H3Dude

Sep 16, 2008
Maryland
With my Droid X and a dead battery the phone would have to sit about 5 minutes and charge before it would come on at all. Wall charger, not USB via computer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

jess086

Nov 23, 2010
seattle
its true that the bionic will have to charge for at least a couple minuets to turn back on. i have run mine totally dead and it will not power up untill it has charged for at least three to five plus minuets. although it will light up about three seconds after the charger is pluged in and even show the battery pic and charging. first thing you need to do is with battery back in the phone and a regular charging cable pluged in the phone other end, usb, pluged into your computer run adb or what ever you use and find out if it showes any devices at all being connected. you should be able to see this in the rds also. run rds app, then plug in phone using a rear usb port

dellenrules

Mar 22, 2011
its true that the bionic will have to charge for at least a couple minuets to turn back on. i have run mine totally dead and it will not power up untill it has charged for at least three to five plus minuets. although it will light up about three seconds after the charger is pluged in and even show the battery pic and charging. first thing you need to do is with battery back in the phone and a regular charging cable pluged in the phone other end, usb, pluged into your computer run adb or what ever you use and find out if it showes any devices at all being connected. you should be able to see this in the rds also. run rds app, then plug in phone using a rear usb port

yep, it's true.
I ran my bionic's battery dry the first day I had it. I was trippin out thinking it was broken or something.
After about 5-10 min of charging, I noticed it had a charging Icon.
I realized that I was upset over nothing.

arcopress

Dec 26, 2010
I put it in the wall charger for the 10th time and noticed after about 10 minutes that it lit up with the boot screen, then the battery icon, which showed 0 percent... then it died. So it does look to be the battery. That's good news, I guess. Should I try to get a replacement from VZW, or spare the cross-exam about rooting and fork out the cash for a new battery?

brickinphoneslol

Aug 1, 2011
Central FL
If you want to spare yourself of the cross exam about root, get a new extended battery. :D Or if you firmly believe that the battery was defective to begin with, then stand your ground and ask that you be given a new one.

Nov 11, 2010
You should be fine taking it in. I would do what has been stated and just get a new battery because if it isn't that then it is a hardware issue and that isn't the roots fault anyways.

unremarked

Jun 18, 2009
Out There
Also as a kind of FYI thing, Verizon does not do in store warranty replacements anymore(an exception being if you're within the 14day WFG period and the phone is ruled DOA). VZW, in store, does 5 day(overnight if you have insurance) shipping for free. If you want it sooner, you pay the shipping cost. Further, warranty replacement phones do not come with a new battery. They use the old phone's battery.

Where I'm going with this is always start with the battery in situations like this. That can be warrantied in store on the spot. Also make sure you're going to a corporate location.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dellenrules

Mar 22, 2011
Like most cell phone batteries, they aren't designed to be completely drained.
I recommend charging it full, waiting tell it gets to about 10%, then charge it fully one more time.
After that charge, your battery should last you all day.
No need to waste money on an extend battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

cappiez

Oct 19, 2010
Indianapolis
Don't worry, you're not the first to have a dead phone. I had to go get a new one after three days.

Couldn't get booted past Motorola splash through any method, and an unlocked bootloader may have helped. But, in the past, and Verizon was happy to hand over a new one.

Wish I had more useful information, but I don't. So, good luck on getting your beast tamed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

arcopress

Dec 26, 2010
Update...
Went to the VZW store at 9... tech swapped out the battery for a new one. NO GOOD. Nothing.

Probably a good thing, as this way they couldn't void the warranty when they discovered it was rooted :D

Replaced the phone (17 days after purchase; had to get the mgr to approve a swap)..
Restoring apps as we speak..

Makes one wonder what's up with Motorola's QC dept.