Modify S200 GPS antenna to improve GPS signal strength

Search This thread

Donald62

Jun 29, 2010
Cumiana
I've made modification but my telephone doesn't improve it GPS reception.
My old Nokia6210nav still receive much better.
It also seems now that without passing first through compass application, my tom-tom don't see any receiver (but before it was working without any tricks)

:(

A_R_N_O

Dec 13, 2009
Paris
Modification succesfull with a great improvement in signal reception and speed in catching satellites' signals

My S200 is still losing frequently the signal with Copilot Live v8 but a few seconds each time so that's no much disturbing while driving

joyqing

Dec 15, 2007
Sydney, AU

Axel85

May 9, 2010
Google Pixel 8
Great improvement,i can t belive to my eyes...In sunny days i can get satellites signal in about 30 seconds,it s incredible ,my nokia n95 take 3 minutes.Now with igo primo it s the best gps device i ve ever tried.
For everyone not seeing improvements,the only reason could be that you have not cut enoght or you damaged the antenna.The improvement is so great and you can see a very big difference.I can get signal even in my room 1 meter inside the window

wjy

Nov 3, 2009
Hi all,
I have read through this thread and it seems that everyone gets great signal after modification.

I too have modified and got really significant increase in signal. In GMXT I used to get only 4 to 5 bars of satellite but after mod. I got more than 7 and even full max bars on a clear sky.

However, after some time of not using gps, I recently turn on gps to have a play again and I realise the signals are back to normal again. It takes about 10 minutes to lock my position and only4 - 5 bars of satellite detected.

During first mod, I didn't peel off the antenna. I just make a cut at the middle as shown in the pics. But after the gps revert back to low signal, I peeled open the antenna thinking there still might be short circuit. I see the connection is fully cut.

I don't have a voltmeter to check whether the two electrode is still short circuit but I definitely have cut across the connection all the way.

So anyone know what is going on? I really want back the strong gps signal!! :)

Thanks

joyqing

Dec 15, 2007
Sydney, AU
Hi all,
I have read through this thread and it seems that everyone gets great signal after modification.

I too have modified and got really significant increase in signal. In GMXT I used to get only 4 to 5 bars of satellite but after mod. I got more than 7 and even full max bars on a clear sky.

However, after some time of not using gps, I recently turn on gps to have a play again and I realise the signals are back to normal again. It takes about 10 minutes to lock my position and only4 - 5 bars of satellite detected.

During first mod, I didn't peel off the antenna. I just make a cut at the middle as shown in the pics. But after the gps revert back to low signal, I peeled open the antenna thinking there still might be short circuit. I see the connection is fully cut.

I don't have a voltmeter to check whether the two electrode is still short circuit but I definitely have cut across the connection all the way.

So anyone know what is going on? I really want back the strong gps signal!! :)

Thanks

If you are sure completely disconnect the short circuit point, you needn't to do anything, just waiting for the satellite signal on the sky resume to the normal level, these days there are solar storms reach the earth, will interfere with GPS signal.
Not all the time, the satellite signals on you head are strong enough.

Last edited:

StRuTcH

Jul 18, 2008
planet earth

At the first post I thought "this guy is completly crazy and want me to broke my phone!"...

But than I've read so many people telling that it works, and the GPS was so damn slow that I've decided to DO IT.

I've tried and I tell you. IT WORKS FINE!! :)

Before I have to wait about 5~10 minutes to reach GPS signal in my garmin mobile. Now it reachs the signal in 1~2 minutes!

Thank you joyqing!!! :D

kayoboy

Dec 7, 2009
Thx for joyqing post !
It works very fine and faster than b4. This modification work that you must try if you are using Acer F1.

lnchu

May 20, 2006
Thanks joyqing. Though I broke the last few mm of the cable, the improvement in reception is still much better.

sunslife

Feb 22, 2009
It's really good!

I bought a s200 yesterday and found that the gps is slow.

Thanks for your sharing experience!

keenfox

Jan 19, 2007
Tks a lot to joyqing~
Although my S200's GPS reception is acceptable, but I still cutted the antenna after seen such many replys~

BTW(in Chinese):根据你给一位台湾兄弟(用繁体字的那个)的回复来看,你应该也是大陆人吧?我在天津,如果碰巧你也在,请你吃饭哦~
My cellphone:18602820676

joyqing

Dec 15, 2007
Sydney, AU
tks a lot to joyqing~
although my s200's gps reception is acceptable, but i still cutted the antenna after seen such many replys~

btw(in chinese):根据你给一位台湾兄弟(用繁体字的那个)的回复来看,你应该也是大陆人吧?我在天津,如果碰巧你也在,请你吃饭哦~
my cellphone:18602820676

我是北京的,有机会一起吃饭:):)

andremales

May 10, 2010
hey boys, i can confirm.....
cutting that path seems to get better reception... it's possible to fix inside home, just look out window. And the signal strenght is improved.
The way to do a nice work is using a cutter like this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    as you konw, S200 GPS is not easy to fix, let me tell you a simple method to fix this problem.
    1. Turn off your S200, open rear cover, remove the battery, locate the gps antenna position.
    refer to f1.jpg

2. Peel the black gps antenna carefully and turn over from left to right. use the multimeter to measure resistance between two electrodes and you'll find it's short-circuit status (~0 Ohms).
    Look carefully at the root location of the antenna, there is a black transparent line, at the end of this line,you can find the short-circuit point, cut off this copper chips until the short-circuit point completely disconnected, then measure resistance between two electrodes to determine it is no longer short-circuit (Infinity ∞ Ohms).

refer to f2.jpg d1.jpg and modification diagram.jpg or this (surcart's pic).

recovery the antenna, turn on your S200 and test gps. Enjoy it !

refer to c1 and c2 pics (compare with HTC P3600, left is P3600, right is S200)
    c1.jpg is before modify, c2.jpg is after .

btw, tracking speed is faster than before.

d1.jpg is a large pic
    d2.jpg is the details after modified

maybe you can do it without peeling antenna off, try to cut the short-circuit position directly if you are not sure you can completely peel off. refer to d2.jpg or s200_p1.jpg(provided by wysxs, thx) or Victor79's pic .
    i still dont understand what i have to do, when i peeled off the black "antenna".
    what should i cut??
    and is it nesseserry that the black antenna does look like bitten? Is it posible, that the black thing looks like that it is not touched??

because if i need to send it back to acer( for reparing it) that they dont say: you touched the hardware, we don't repair it=/